• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Princess Tutu

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pikagreg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Princess Tutu is definitely worth owning! I just picked up the new BD and am super excited to check it out again.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Princess Tutu is one of my all time favorite magical girl series. I love the complexity of the story and characters and how the second cour deconstructs the narrative set by the first half. I also love how your perception of the characters change over the course of the story like with Fahkir and Mytho. I also agree the English dub is really good and people get too worked up over the issue on Duck's name. Junichi Sato's Pretear is another great magical girl classic with a fairytale theme more anime fans need to check out.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Overlord Season II is on its way to me, but I guess I need to add Princess Tutu to my watchlist as well. I have been curious about it for years, it's a wonder I didn't purchase it all this time.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Princess Tutu probably isn't a show i would check out based on the title, but the review intrigues me. I'll try to get to it once i make some headway on my enormous backlog...

Those Gundam figures are adorable; they look like what the Puzzle and Dragons versions of them would be.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Princess Tutu probably isn't a show i would check out based on the title, but the review intrigues me. I'll try to get to it once i make some headway on my enormous backlog...
Yes the title and initial impressions are not the most enticing for male viewers, but it is well worth watching.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Princess Tutu is one of my favorite anime, and I didn't have super high expectations for the Blu-Ray video quality, but I actually think it is an improvement in some scenes--just not the ones with fog all over them, which is unfortunately quite a few. The ones with ordinary flat colors, in my opinion, do look brighter. And the case is definitely an improvement over the original one, since the discs are separated instead of stacked, but if you have the later DVD set then that one has a better case too, so it may not be an issue depending on which one you have.

Basically, if you don't own the show, I recommend the Blu-Ray, but if you do, the Blu-Ray might not be necessary unless you're a big fan who wants to see the show in as high a video quality as possible. The cover's definitely better than that horrible one with stripper Rue, though. Maybe get rid of that one.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I also agree the English dub is really good and people get too worked up over the issue on Duck's name.

One problem is that people incorrectly but understandably think that it's like changing Usagi to Serena (or Rabbit or Bunny) in Sailor Moon, instead of what it is, which is more like changing Onna Shinkan to Priestess in Goblin Slayer or similar shows.

The BD version here is based off the upgrade done for the recent very nice anniversary box set in Japan, so it's a larger visual improvement than some who have the original might expect from the review. I personally am pleased and thought it worth the rebuy. There are some limitations given the original source.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Princess Tutu is one of my all time favorite magical girl series. I love the complexity of the story and characters and how the second cour deconstructs the narrative set by the first half.

Is it recommendable to fans of ducks in general? Such a species seldom finds representation in anime protagonists, after all, let alone protagonists of anything acclaimed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
In case anyone's curious, most of my shelves have non-skid Copco-brand kitchen cabinet organizers on them. They're great if you have a bunch of anime kits or figures with similar heights, and are generally always available on Amazon.

Now, on the subject of Princess Tutu: did you know that the show's director also wrote and directed Slayers Premium? It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect from "Junichi Sato directs a Slayers movie", in the sense that the main plotline involves Gourry losing his ability to speak any language other than "the language of the octopus".
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Hooray, we have yet another convert to the anime religion that is Princess Tutu!

Zin5ki wrote:
Is it recommendable to fans of ducks in general? Such a species seldom finds representation in anime protagonists, after all, let alone protagonists of anything acclaimed.

Wait, have you seriously not seen this before, Zin? I trust that you shall rectify this mistake and jump on this immediately. I'll be the first to admit, the first few eps seem like it's going to be a standard "of the week" show, and while not painful, they're not quite enticing either, but you will be well rewarded, even at the halfway point.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

I'm getting sudden flashbacks to a recent museum-wide Twitter throwdown. But I think you'll be very pleased with our plucky duck protagonist. Laughing
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Junichi Sato's Pretear is another great magical girl classic with a fairytale theme more anime fans need to check out.

*clenches fist* Pretear is so good.....
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I love Princess Tutu, and I hope this re-release does well. I miss when magical girl shows that weren't super-edgy got licensed. (Wink, nudge.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While the comedy in general is decent, some running jokes are used so often that they become tiresome, with Duck's ballet teacher's obsession with marriage being a prime example.

I like to think that's the same Junichi Sato touch for gently incompetent/quirky characters, no matter how stylized the fantasy settings get, that also helped ground Sailor Moon in relatable story arcs, and keep Kunihiko Ikuhara from completely taking over the later seasons.

Also, it's nice to see the show respected enough among fan that it can go back to using its own covers again--Or at least that anime Blu-ray is now so dependent on its own online-sale niche, they don't have to worry about marketing imagery.
The frilly images of Tutu on ADV's original single-volume disks were probably the titles Best Buy had in mind when they made their infamous gripe about "Anime with 'Princess' in the title"--which effectively ended mainstream US retail anime for good, the first trigger of the 00's Bubble pop--and when ADV released their first double-dip boxset, they rather overcompensated for keeping the "Frilly" off the cover:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/512C6hMJByL.jpg

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Now, on the subject of Princess Tutu: did you know that the show's director also wrote and directed Slayers Premium? It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect from "Junichi Sato directs a Slayers movie", in the sense that the main plotline involves Gourry losing his ability to speak any language other than "the language of the octopus".

Yeah, that's...basically a good way of putting it. Confused
Sato's lovably optimistic stumblebums (if we're also including Sgt. Keroro and the Magic Users' Club) may be a cuteness level suited to Amelia and Gourry, but NOT to Lina Inverse's self-serving Daffy-Duck view of the world. It needed a director a little less harmless. Still, at least it got the franchise off of the Naga stories.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to second both Princess Tutu and Pretear. If you like one, you're at least going to have a favorable disposition for the other. But Pretear hasn't had a recent release, right? I used to collect the DVDs, but I'm missing volume 2...
I own the entire Princess Tutu collection, though~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3