• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Saga of Tanya the Evil: The Movie

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The film sounds interesting; i'm not sure if it was playing anywhere in the US, because i didn't hear about it anywhere. I have to think there's more of the anime coming, since often films like this are released to keep the IP in the public's consciousness until a new season can come out (this happened with Overlord and DanMachi).

I enjoyed the show a lot more than i expected; it was interesting to view the war through Tanya, who has a lot of cold insight, cynical insight into the way society and power structures work, and then at the same time thoroughly self-sabotage her own attempts to have an easy life. The story works for me because we're not meant to see Tanya as heroic or likable, and yet somehow her struggle against Mysterious Being X is one that we can get behind.

I agree with the reviewer that it can be a weird mix of themes and ideas, but overall i recommend it.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I have to second the praise for this film's sound mix, which is truly earthshaking in places, but I'm a bit disappointed that the review doesn't mention that the true villain of the movie is an alternate-universe version of Lavrentiy Beria (with, for some reason, Kruschev's birthmark), an histrionically grotesque pedophile so taken with Tanya's preadolescent form he sends his men to die by the millions just to get at her. He is truly the next level of "we must burn this world and everything in it" (although unfortunately he's actually not any more despicable than the real Beria).

I spent the whole movie sniggering mean-spiritedly at all of the horrible things happening to Tanya, which I think is what the series is going for. It provides a sort of schadenfreude designed for people who like to think of themselves as being too noble for schadenfreude---since Tanya's a terrible person, we don't have to feel bad for taking pleasure in her suffering!
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I for one am looking forward to watching the movie. Saga of Tanya the Evil is my #1 favorite anime. Just by watching the anime I automatically become sympathetic to Tanya's struggle. I am so hoping that the movie will be so successful that it may turn into a season 2, but I guess we will see.

Last edited by TanyaTheEvil on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:59 pm; edited 4 times in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
I for one am looking forward to watching the movie. Saga of Tanya the Evil is my #1 favorite anime. Just by watching the anime I automatically become sympathetic to Tanya's struggle. I am so hoping that the movie will be so successful that it may turn into a season 2, but I guess we will see.

Me too, I really enjoyed the series and am very excited to see this so I'm glad to hear it seems to be quite good.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Considering Tanya was my number 1 anime of 2017, if the movie did everything the TV show did but better than this is my kind of anime movie. Really hope it gets a theatrical run soon or it's gonna be the first time since one piece movie Z that i'll have to pirate an anime someway.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I am looking forward to the movie making its way over here as well. I have a feeling that it is going to awesome
Antipathy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Just a heads up but you spelled Mary's name wrong in the summary. It is Sioux not Sue, though the way the article spells it seems more fitting and funny.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Basic rule of psychology: Anyone who thinks they're the one ~truly rational~ person in the room, isn't.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it essentially retreads the same themes as the final episodes of the TV series, even featuring an antagonist who's essentially a reskin of the TV series' villain. As if to drive the parallel home even further, this character is literally the daughter of the original antagonist.

Wrong...The anime's antagonist is the re-skin,the literal father of the original antagonist-
Mary Sue.

(and yes Mary Sue being an actual Mary Sue is a running gag in the LN)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
The film sounds interesting; i'm not sure if it was playing anywhere in the US, because i didn't hear about it anywhere. I have to think there's more of the anime coming, since often films like this are released to keep the IP in the public's consciousness until a new season can come out (this happened with Overlord and DanMachi).

Kim based this review on a viewing in a Japanese theater. To my knowledge nothing has been announce yet about screenings in the States; whether or not the series is popular enough to warrant such treatment is unclear.

Definitely look forward to eventually seeing this, though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Merxamers wrote:

Kim based this review on a viewing in a Japanese theater. To my knowledge nothing has been announce yet about screenings in the States; whether or not the series is popular enough to warrant such treatment is unclear.

Definitely look forward to eventually seeing this, though!

Me too, I beleive it will definately make its way here towards the end of the year. It could be sooner, maybe around September
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Was the movie subtitled in english?

If so, I would import the BD of the movie.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:20 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Was the movie subtitled in english?

If so, I would import the BD of the movie.

No licensing information yet.
unready

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... but among the Allied Kingdom army is Mary Sue ...
It initially felt like some weird in-joke when her name was revealed to be Mary Sue...

In the television series, her father's name was "Anson Sioux" (we even see it in print on his sub-machine gun), so I would suspect her name is "Mary Sioux," although the joke can still remain.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...At the same time, I'm not really sure how many tricks Saga of Tanya the Evil actually has up its sleeve in the long term...
Two words: Tiny Hitler! Also, isekai WWII (please,please,please). Tanya quotes Mein Kampf and knows about the "maniacal genius" that penned the words, so I have little doubt that her quest for enough authority to be "safe" will lead to that. And we know how well that worked...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2