• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: The Battle of Unato Film's Promo Video Reveals May 10 Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
I wonder how fast we'll get it on our own Netflix and Amazon Prime. And in theaters, for that matter.

Glad to see this franchise moving along. I'm one of those people who loved the first half and hated the second, but it's the type of thing where that's easy enough to forgive and want to get what happens next. Hope they don't screw it up!
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:40 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I wonder how fast we'll get it on our own Netflix and Amazon Prime. And in theaters, for that matter.

I’m pretty sure those are for Japan only. If it’ll be exclusive to Netflix or Amazon in the West, you can kiss the chance of a theatrical release goodbye. Hopefully Crunchyroll will be able to get the rights again and premiere it in theaters, and actually be able to stream it on their website. Other than their name on the box, Crunchyroll’s involvement with the first season seems non-existent due to Amazon taking exclusive streaming (there’s still no way to stream the CR-produced English dub, and it would’ve been awesome if it aired on Toonami, now that CR has a partnership with them, but don’t know if Amazon would let them).
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
^It's incredibly rare for Netflix or Amazon to not get world-wide rights to something if they pursue them at all, so I would count on it being on one or both of those platforms here in the West. It being on both makes it obvious it's not exclusive, so maybe we could also see it on Crunchyroll, but if anyone of these three tends to not get movies, it's definitely CR. Anyway, there is plenty of precedent to assume that something on Netflix or Amazon in Japan is going to be on Netflix or Amazon for the rest of the world.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Mumei was definitely best girl and I can't wait to see more of her in this new movie.
Tind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
OMG OMG OMG OMG They better announce season 2 at the end!!
Also I hope they use the music they used for the game because it is awesome !
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Tind wrote:

From what I remember reading before, this movie is 'Season 2,' while the next movie is the concluding chapter.
Quite a bit to unpack from that mere minute-long trailer, and I'm certainly intrigued to see where everyone's journeys go!
TemplateR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I understand, that the Film will be released on Amazon Prime, because the Series was streamed there. But Netflix? When did they have the License for the Franchise?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^It's incredibly rare for Netflix or Amazon to not get world-wide rights to something if they pursue them at all, so I would count on it being on one or both of those platforms here in the West. It being on both makes it obvious it's not exclusive, so maybe we could also see it on Crunchyroll, but if anyone of these three tends to not get movies, it's definitely CR. Anyway, there is plenty of precedent to assume that something on Netflix or Amazon in Japan is going to be on Netflix or Amazon for the rest of the world.

If it were Amazon or Netflix exclusively, there would definitely be plenty of precedent, but with both, not so much. Of the top 11 shows this season as ranked on this site as of March 8th (minus Amazon exclusive Dororo), all but Fairy Tail's final season and My Roommate is a Cat are available on Netflix and/or Amazon in Japan, streaming or on demand, though My Roommate is a Cat is available on what appears to be a channel on Amazon Prime Video (some were available on Hulu as well). All of those ten shows are streamed on Crunchyroll. Here are the links to the official websites if you want to verify for yourself. I'm confident I would get similar results if I extended my search to the rest of the non-Amazon exclusive shows this season or any other season since anime started to be streamed online in Japan. When Amazon or Netflix are streaming a show exclusively in Japan, that generally does means they have it everywhere, but when they are sharing it with each other (and half a dozen to a dozen other websites) in Japan, that isn't necessarily the case. Now movies are different and Netflix and Amazon seem like more likely landing places for streaming - if they are streamed at all -, but I don't think we can rule out it being released by someone else or a theatrical release just yet. Heck, the compilation films were Crunchyroll's first Crunchyroll Movie Night theatrical release.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I sense Mumei x Ikoma all over this trailer and I swear it'll be completely one sided and anyway stop being negative guys, we most definitely be able to stream this movie when it comes out on May 10th.
deviljho0001

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Tind wrote:

From what I remember reading before, this movie is 'Season 2,' while the next movie is the concluding chapter.
Quite a bit to unpack from that mere minute-long trailer, and I'm certainly intrigued to see where everyone's journeys go!

" The official website for the anime lists the film as the "middle volume." "
Season 2 is coming.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:37 am Reply with quote
deviljho0001 wrote:
" The official website for the anime lists the film as the "middle volume." "
Season 2 is coming.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but my impression was that this movie was the middle volume, making it the middle part of the story, and they were going to round out everything in the next movie, or supposedly the 'last volume'. But I'll wait and see now to be sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1