• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (and worst) Anime of Winter 2019

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Dororo and The Promised Neverland were my top 2 of this season.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Best: Run with the Wind
I think Lauren pretty much said it all. Whether it was funny, thought-provoking, or painful (emotionally and physically), I enjoyed this journey with the Kansei boys. This show makes me want to get back into running on my treadmill in the basement. I really hope Sentai releases a nice set for this series like Haikyuu, it totally deserves it.

Runner up: The Promised Neverland
If Run with the Wind wasn't continuing through this season, this would have been my absolute #1. The show that I looked forward to each week which then proceeded to leave me wanting more each week. As someone with no knowledge of the manga, this was a great thriller. The main cast was excellent, with Mariya Ise once again proving how exceptional she is at voicing young boys. Once this season finishes, I think I'll order a couple volumes and get cracking on the manga (Rightstuf just put up a Viz sale, like it knew I needed it Wink)

Worst: A Certain Magical Index S3
Honestly, I'm just disappointed in this season. The fact that it had 2 season that were good, and that it had 6+ years between S2 and S3 should have meant that the series could get a cohesive end is pretty damn frustrating. I know there are 2 more episodes left, but I don't think they're gonna get more than an apathetic "meh" out of me. Maybe if Misaka gets to do something substantial. We'll see.
Here's hoping that the Accelerator and Railgun S3 are much better.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Best - Dororo
Runner-up - Mob Psycho 100 II
Least good - Index III
alconnow_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Best - Dororo
Runner-up - Mob

Disappointing - The Promised Neverland

Honourable mention - Boogiepop improved after the first three episodes.

Last edited by alconnow_ on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
From critics' lists, the summary for Best/Runner-Up:

Mob Psycho - 3 votes (all best)
Run With the Wind - 3 (2 best)
Boogiepop and Others - 2
Kaguya-Sama: Love is War - 2
The Promised Neverland - 2
Mysteria Friends - 1 (1 best)
GeGeGe no Kitaro - 1 (1 best)
My Roommate is a Cat - 1 (1 best)
Meiji Tokyo Renka - 1

EDIT: Updated for a couple of entries which have been added since I originally posted this.

Last edited by Key on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Best: Dororo. Haven't been this invested in a show in...a while. It defines my Monday mornings. I cannot wait for the second cour (RIP best OP Kaen, bring on AKFG)

Runner up: Promised Neverland. Been reading the manga for over a year now, and it didn't disappoint. Watching it all happened again (especially paired with the recent manga chapters) has been fun. Will be waiting for that 24-episode season 2.

Worst: Price of Smiles. It wasn't even 'bad'. It was simply 'meh'. Had good ideas, didn't really follow through. I'd say Asuka like many, but my biggest issue wasn't the writing, but more so the animation, which looked awful in some cases. The manga art deserved more.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
So happy to see Rebecca put Kitarou at the top of her list. It is certainly the most adult "kids show" I've watched since Kemono no Sou-ja Erin. Along with her list of maturely-themed episodes I'll add episode 20, which is the best single episode of anime I watched in 2018. It takes on official Japan's desire to whitewash the nation's role on WWII, particularly how it is presented by its educational system. Pretty heavy stuff to air at 9 am on Sundays.

My other favorites include Run with the Wind, Dororo, and Neverland. I'm mixed on Boogiepop, but I agree with Theron that Aoi Yuuki's work as Boogie has to be ranked among the top seiyuu performances I've heard in years. Disclaimer: I've been a fan of her work since Kurenai.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
For god's sake... Here I was, all ready to post a huge thing about how I like W'z better than you, and the site chooses then to crap out on me and I lose all that hard work.

Y'know what? Instead of trying to replicate what I can't get back, I'm just gonna say this: I understand your dislike of W'z, James, but I'm not gonna drop it two episodes from the finish just because you told me to. Your opinions and mine just don't mesh. That's why I'm gonna stick to my own, and wait until Theron reviews the home video release to inform myself on what this site thinks of Hand Shakers 2: You Deserve This.
Robiii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I applaud Lauren and especially Nick for proving to me once and for all that I should stop reading ANN reviewers, but mostly Nick, cause he has proved many times that this man has no taste in anime whatsoever.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Robiii wrote:
I applaud Lauren and especially Nick for proving to me once and for all that I should stop reading ANN reviewers, but mostly Nick, cause he has proved many times that this man has no taste in anime whatsoever.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out m8
GodEmperorLeto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
"human slavery as its primary plot mechanic" is so wrong though... the primary plot mechanic is still being summoned into the world and fight off waves. The slavery use is more a subsidiary of that because he has no other options. Still think people get stuck on that themselves and over inflate it in the show more than the creator does. Is the slavery element ideal? No. But his whole circumstance is not ideal. Honestly, people also who haven't realized in the LN and the Manga it shows how horrible slavery is (with slaves being abused, not by Naofumi, though that's web novel stuff and web novels are almost never the same of the final product and much later as well as other circumstances) so it's not like it's saying 'SLAVERY IS GREAT!'. Seriously, people gotta realize their bias.

Shield Hero isn't what I'd call great, btw. It's just 'ok'.

Honestly surprised none of you talk about 'how bad Wataten is' then cause that has pedophilia creepiness. WHile most of it is cutesy/wholesome, Miyako is creepy with Hana. That would bother me more than the slavery aspect in the way it's used in Shield Hero.
scowler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
No votes for Love is War?

That might be the best anime comedy in years.
kamisu66

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
4-way tie for best:
Mob for Sakuga and story
Dororo for story and setting
Promised Neverland for atmosphere and shock value
Kamurikusa for doing so much with so little and for being the most memeable.
GodEmperorLeto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
scowler wrote:
No votes for Love is War?

That might be the best anime comedy in years.

Kaguya definitely is a contender for anime of the season for me Razz with Mob and Boogiepop personally.

Not sure if it's best anime comedy in years. Asobi Asobase and Hinamatsuri were just so great too.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Sword Art Online Alicization was the best show of the season though being a fan of the light novels likely has a lot to do with that. Endro is the runner-up since it has some great character development for a cute fantasy show. Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka, The Rising of the Shield Hero, and GeGeGe no Kitaro would complete my top 5 of the season. The worst show of the season was The Price of Smiles. I have seen a lot of bad anime but The Price of Smiles goes from spoiler[a harsh war story about the brutality of war to a magical girl style ending where everyone really just wanted to be friends. That ending was baffling since it directly contradicted several of the earlier events in the show.]

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7