• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Winter 2019, Mar 19-25

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
It feels good to be part of the collective who actually likes the rock bottom show of the season.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
After seeing the trainwreck that happened when the "stable" of approved "reviewers" did their witch doctor dance on the Winter Season just recently, i wont bother trying to work the monkey maze of rankings you all generated based on the "reveiwers" say.

they got so much wrong and were so so far off the mark i will keep my own opinions happily and enjoy Shield Hero and Love is War in great glee and pleasure. I will totally ignore and avoid the sad destruction at the hands of poor directing and writing of a number of well known series and spin offs. I will hope and Pray for Spring to bring some new joys.

At least Shield Hero will be with us for another Quarter thank Gods of Anime! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
After seeing the trainwreck that happened when the "stable" of approved "reviewers" did their witch doctor dance on the Winter Season just recently, i wont bother trying to work the monkey maze of rankings you all generated based on the "reveiwers" say.

they got so much wrong and were so so far off the mark i will keep my own opinions happily and enjoy Shield Hero and Love is War in great glee and pleasure. I will totally ignore and avoid the sad destruction at the hands of poor directing and writing of a number of well known series and spin offs. I will hope and Pray for Spring to bring some new joys.

At least Shield Hero will be with us for another Quarter thank Gods of Anime! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

......... What?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
i wont bother trying to work the monkey maze of rankings you all generated based on the "reveiwers" say.

I don't know what the phrase "monkey maze" means, but it sounds like somewhere that does really sweet birthday parties for kids.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:

These charts are based on the people's ratings and votes, not the reviewers'. I get that you're just looking for reasons to be angry over nothing, but you could at least take the time to read the first couple sentences of an article before complaining about it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
^ Hard to tell for sure, but I think he knows that and just believes anyone who doesn't think Shield Hero is the greatest anime ever made are sad, obedient sheeple who've been programmed to dislike it by the reviewers here and robotically parrot the reviewers' opinions. What other explanation could there possibly be? Wink
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What other explanation could there possibly be? Wink

Well, nine times outta ten, it's "didn't read the article at all", so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet. Laughing
NPC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, if you actually read the article and follow the link in it, you will know exactly what is wrong with these ratings:
Daniel DeLorme wrote:
The rankings are computed using the Schulze method, with the variation that unrated titles are considered as abstentions instead of lower than the rated titles. This roughly means that if, out of all people who rated both A and B, 60% preferred A, it will be ranked higher than B.

This is wrong and anyone can easily verify it. Schulze method does not have a variation with abstention. Here is corresponding quote from Wikipedia article linked:
Quote:
Each voter may optionally:
keep candidates unranked. When a voter doesn't rank all candidates, then this is interpreted as if this voter (1) strictly prefers all ranked to all unranked candidates, and (2) is indifferent among all unranked candidates.

If a voter didn't rank a show, it means he strictly prefer all he ranked to all those he didn't. It means the method counts his vote for all shows voter didn't rank and considers them ranked below every show he voted for. There are no any "out of all people who rated both A and B", never, they all voted for both. Every single vote counts, none is ever dropped.

This part of Schulze method is not optional, it is the key element which allows to compare preferences of voters.

Schulze method doesn't measure "quality", it is a method of evaluation of popularity in votes with multiple prioritized choices. If used in its real, not crippled, form, a show which has 201 user ratings will always be considered more popular than show with 100 user ratings regardless of ratings themselves. If the spread is less than 2x and there is significant intersection between two groups of voters, the second show may win based on scores given by the viewers.

ANN's "variation" of Schulze method drops viewers votes without any reason. It most certainly is not Schulze method. No one ever evaluated this "variation" for sanity. If you look at ANN's scores and ask yourself "what the hell happened", this is what happened - the "variation" doesn't work.

More details in the discussion of the previous article based on these "ratings", "The Best and Worst of Winter 2019, Mar 12-18".

I really hope that this article is a work of timed script and not Daniel DeLorme's attempt to pretend he doesn't know his math is wrong. Honest mistake is one thing, intentionally publishing wrong ratings is completely different.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for next week's rankings where The Promised Neverland's finale will clash with Mob Psycho 100's finale. TPN's finale was an amazing way to end the season but can Mob Psycho 100 step up to the challenge? Find out next time on the next exciting episode of Dragonball Z Cool
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:14 am Reply with quote
NPC wrote:
More details in the discussion of the previous article based on these "ratings", "The Best and Worst of Winter 2019, Mar 12-18".

Hey, thanks for that! I hadn't noticed all the hubbub. I've written my rebuttals to your nonsense arguments in last week's thread. Much fun indeed!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SchrödingerNeko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:20 am Reply with quote
I sure hope "love is war" gets a second season! Anime catgrin
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
SchrödingerNeko wrote:
I sure hope "love is war" gets a second season! Anime catgrin

Me too and also, Welcome new user Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1