• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eleven Arts to Screen Satoshi Kon's Millennium Actress Anime Film in U.S. in August with New E

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOGI48

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they will get Tokyo Godfather and have a eng dub.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting something like this to follow up Perfect Blue's screening back in October and subsequent blu-ray release.... But an English dub too! That is quite a nice bonus (provided it's good of course)

Millennium Actress is the late Mr. Kon's magnum opus. So it deserves every bit of new attention given to it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Millennium Actress is one of my top favorite Satoshi Kon films. It's very beautiful and emotional and I'm glad to see it being re-released. I am a little surprised it's Eleven Arts getting it and not GKids since they got Perfect Blue and I think it would have made more sense to keep all the Kon films under one licensee.
Xe4

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm glad Eleven Arts is doing physical releases now. Hoping the new dub js good and even if their theatrical distribution is often pretty garbage I'm praying for a screening at least a 100 miles from where I live : p

Last edited by Xe4 on Sun May 19, 2019 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I hope this also means a BD release.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
So, THIS is what happened to the film!

And yes, it's gonna get a new DVD/Blu ray release now that it has a dub.
They'll sell far more copies with a dub than just a sub like they did last time.
I hope the remaster is damn good, too. The original DVD release in the US has its issues. Still a great film. Maybe my second or third favorite Satoshi Kon film.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Oooooh, fantastic news. I actually imported the UK DVD of the movie because I was curious about its dub, but I never got around to watching it. Now let's get the rest of Kon's work back in print!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I remember this. There used to be a Blockbuster Video close to the bus stop to where I waited for the bus to take me to work. When I came home,there was some time before the bus showed up and I went in there to take a look at the movies they had. One of them was "Millennium Actress." This sounded like a weird movie but I wondered why they never dubbed this thing.
Years later,I found out that this film had a UK dub and I saw a little of it on Youtube. I'm happy that there's going to be a US dub for this movie. I think it deserves it and it's long overdue. I also hope it's a good dub. It's deserving of it.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sun May 19, 2019 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the UK dub wasn’t great from what I’ve heard, so glad to see it finally get something better. With NYAV Post (most likely) doing it, I’m sure it will sound great. With that said, I would imagine this is a difficult film to dub.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:53 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Oooooh, fantastic news. I actually imported the UK DVD of the movie because I was curious about its dub, but I never got around to watching it. Now let's get the rest of Kon's work back in print!
I think the only Kon titles we still need back in print are Tokyo Godfathers and Paranoia Agent.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 am Reply with quote
New English dub? Nice! Hope they do a stellar job.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Yeah, the UK dub wasn’t great from what I’ve heard, so glad to see it finally get something better. With NYAV Post (most likely) doing it, I’m sure it will sound great. With that said, I would imagine this is a difficult film to dub.

I've seen the UK dub and while it was interesting that they got one actress to pull off both young and old Chiyoko, it was a pretty average dub. There was also that one really odd scene where a random character in her flashback pronounces samurai as "sam-yuu-rye" (guess that's a British pronunciation, despite the actors putting on Mid-Atlantic accents).

I think a new dub would be an improvement if they have better dub writing in addition to actors who have an interest in the material. I wasn't too impressed by Paprika's dub, because the performances sounded phoned-in (despite having good actors). The dub dialog also didn't seem as well-written as the subtitled version I saw before it.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:11 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think the only Kon titles we still need back in print are Tokyo Godfathers and Paranoia Agent.

You can buy the region free AUS blu-ray of Tokyo Godfathers from Amazon US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1