• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim's Jason DeMarco Comments on Quality of Recent Dragon Ball Super Episodes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
should just go back to those old epilepsy warnings before each show instead
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:55 am Reply with quote
Well that proves the popular theory behind it to be right and while I can understand the reasoning behind it Im surprised he didn't even realize it until fans informed him.
JEArgumedo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Well that proves the popular theory behind it to be right and while I can understand the reasoning behind it Im surprised he didn't even realize it until fans informed him.

The folks who program the block aren’t sitting at home watching it. What the Toonami teams looks at is whatever FUNimation sends them to cut promos (they’re part of the On-Air department). The Program Edit team (which is a different department) checks legal and technical standards before sending anything to master control for broadcast. They’re not really under any obligation to let them know and I would guess they didn’t think it was a big enough deal to let anyone know they were modifying the frames.

What I’m surprised by is Toei animating in a way that would violate Harding Test standards. Anime had already garnered a reputation for seizure inducing scenes, thanks to Pokémon, I’m surprised Toei would risk having arguably their biggest franchise be associated with epileptic animation.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote
Agreed, I don't know why Toei did this, I mean, when they released Jetman on DVD/Laserdisc, they had to slow down and cut out certain frames from the master tapes of it (during henshin sequences) that probably would have violated the Harding Test (fansubs don't have the unedited masters), but they didn't do it here?
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote
JEArgumedo wrote:
GhostD wrote:

The folks who program the block aren’t sitting at home watching it. What the Toonami teams looks at is whatever FUNimation sends them to cut promos (they’re part of the On-Air department). The Program Edit team (which is a different department) checks legal and technical standards before sending anything to master control for broadcast. They’re not really under any obligation to let them know and I would guess they didn’t think it was a big enough deal to let anyone know they were modifying the frames.

What I’m surprised by is Toei animating in a way that would violate Harding Test standards. Anime had already garnered a reputation for seizure inducing scenes, thanks to Pokémon, I’m surprised Toei would risk having arguably their biggest franchise be associated with epileptic animation.

Thats the thing. I know theres a team that handles technical stuff which is why no one bothered to inform them of the drastic frame drops. Obviously I dont expect them to be at home watching it like normal viewers but I would think that they would communicate if any edits were made minor and understandable as they were.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:55 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese never had a problem with those scenes why should we?! That's weird some weird reasoning, just have seizure warnings like normal people, instead of making the fights so unwatchable
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
SpaceTheGamer wrote:
The Japanese never had a problem with those scenes why should we?! That's weird some weird reasoning, just have seizure warnings like normal people, instead of making the fights so unwatchable
I've read that after Electric Soldier Porygon, Japanese broadcasters came up with rules that Anime studio had to follow.
Quote:
Flashing images, especially those with red, should not flicker faster than three times per second. If the image does not have red, it still should not flicker faster than five times per second.
Flashing images should not be displayed for a total duration of more than two seconds.
Stripes, whirls and concentric circles should not take up a large part of the television screen.
There was also this with Fate/Stay Night
https://external-preview.redd.it/d5P7A03evIyK11ursBUbAzIZgx1Svua4Llay8tDlxWY.jpg?auto=webp&s=a3639be3556846446fd994ea34dfcaa565ad0f72
Coldcherrii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
should just go back to those old epilepsy warnings before each show instead

Toonami actually did that this week, but DBS still had to edit it down a little bit, but not quite as much as what happened in previous weeks.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
JEArgumedo wrote:

I'm not that surprised because they had that issue with Glitter Force where Saban had to dim down the picture brightness during transformation and attack stock footage scenes.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Whatever happened to just glaucoma-dimming it, like they used to do for Pikachu's shocks on "Pokemon", which created the Harding test in the first place?
VermilionT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:58 am Reply with quote
Better yet, just dont watch shit Funimation touches
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
I wondered what was up. The slow down was really noticeable, and not in a way that looked like it was done for dramatic effect, and then that disclaimer showed up this week.
Coldcherrii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
VermilionT wrote:
Better yet, just dont watch shit Funimation touches
This has nothing to do with Funimation.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
SpaceTheGamer wrote:

Different countries; different rules. Remember, in Japan, genitals have to be mosaiced, while in America, they don't. People sue readily in America, so unless they wanna get into an expensive court battle just to prove a point, many just avoid it rather than risk it. People could easily miss the warnings, tune in late, or not pay attention, but they'll put some responsibility on the broadcaster anyway for not making it fool-proof.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1