• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dororo (TV 2019).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote

Dororo (TV 2019).

Genres: action, supernatural
Themes: historical

Plot Summary:
Quote:
During the 1470s after the Wars of Onin and Bunmei in the Noto Peninsula of the Hokuriku District, Hyakkimaru, who lacks as much as 48 body parts, obtains a fake body and eliminates 48 monsters that were made from his body to retrieve his missing body parts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019 TV anime remake of the same name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
First episode is out.

I haven't seen the original series but this remake so far impressed me with the storytelling, art style, and even the setting. Really curious to see how they will develop Dororo as a character.

This is a pretty old manga so to see it being resurrected in modern day is quite a fascinating sight. Really stylish OP song too and I'm impressed by the visual quality here. MAPPA and the director made this show feel really distinctive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:37 am Reply with quote
So the kid stole stuff from the people he was hired to actually look after, unnecessarily threw rocks at said people with hitting one of their eyes, and he is the good guy?
Fuzzy Pickles!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I was not expecting this of all things to be adapted into a 2010s anime. That said, I'm excited to see where this series heads towards, especially since the franchise has long since been completed. Hyakkimaru retrieving his body parts is an ingenious concept and the animation is at a smooth, consistent frame rate.
DuskyPredator wrote:
So the kid stole stuff from the people he was hired to actually look after, unnecessarily threw rocks at said people with hitting one of their eyes, and he is the good guy?
Yeah, Dororo in the first episode is definitely a pain in the rear although I wonder if being an orphan contributed to his lack of respect for authority. He should become a lot better character though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:42 am Reply with quote
Fuzzy Pickles! wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Yeah, Dororo in the first episode is definitely a pain in the rear although I wonder if being an orphan contributed to his lack of respect for authority. He should become a lot better character though.

Is weird when I was kind of on the side of the people who were literally about to cruelly kill a kid. I know for that they were shown as bad, but you could also assume that they must have been nice enough to give an orphan kid a job so he could be supported. While the kid pretty much spat in the face of it, along with being a con artist.

Were we told anything else about the random group of people that seemed to be there just to be killed by a monster and make it look like the only thing holding the kid back is a lack of physical strength?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15

Well, it looks like Hyakkimaru finally grew a backbone.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (Finale)

Party is over. I might not have been the most positive early on, with a lack of sympathy towards Dororo, and I was not too into it, it really grew onto me. I really enjoyed the journey, and was one of the shows that I was quite interested to see what happened next. You had interesting characters that were not just one thing, some moral ambiguity, and a subject I think that was not just regurgitated. For a samurai story of sorts, it took a good look at things like sacrifice for the good of others to your detriment and lack of permission, to the blind aliegences of the upper society nobles being misguided when they can make terrible and selfish decisions. Dororo's decisions at the end seemed to push the idea of a trust in something like commerce over lords. Hyakkimaru himself made a deliberate choice of mercy after it looked like he might fall down the wrong path, giving his birth father the buddha statue that the father that raised him gave to follow a more serene life, obviously thinking that the man needed it more than he did.

Maybe just a very specific point in time of dating this original release, but I really can't help but draw connections to the video game Sekiro, which was released during the run of this show. You just so happen to play as a Japanese swordsman (shinobi), with an artificial arm, a child as your moral compass, where you just complete your task in fighting 'monster', with tones about what is willing to be done for power, with significance of a buddha statue where the character must not give into hate. It seems like that game was inspired by the old show, of which I will have to guess it kept over to the 2019 version. I maybe want to segue over to what little I might have looked up about that version, specifically on the topic of the character Dororo.

It was only when the hints of Dororo's true sex started to get strongly hinted at that I had to look up a bit, and to see that in the original show Dororo was indeed a girl that pretended to be a boy, apparently revealed at the end. This might be a bit too hard in pushing political stuff that may not be intended, but what is Dororo. It looked like in the original series Dororo was dressed as a boy to hide them from people who were looking at them, yet still did not like being referred to as such. Apparently Dororo's father also dressed them like a boy for some reason, but hardly for the reason in the original as they all the ones after Dororo thought they were a boy too. I am tempted to classify Dororo as a trans boy, but not enough info was given if this was Dororo's actual gender identity, or something forced into that Dororo pushed with an idea of being seen as weak otherwise. Dororo did come across a bunch of stronger female characters, who act as mother figures and matrons that could be very important for groups, so there should have been some understanding of women could have strength even in troubled ages. There was actually a really quick flash that we seemed to get a quick glimpse of what Dororo would look like older (teen or so), and I guess that I can at least say they look pretty. It was left open ended, with Dororo and Hyakkimaru not meeting up yet for some branching of their paths to reconnect later, of which I would like to see as even a more human story, to see exactly what is the path of Dororo who rejected femininity as a kid, but seem to have entire arcs about the power of matron figures.

I really enjoyed the show, and think that it was well worth the time. I give it a rating of Very good (8/10). It did not start as such, but it became of the do not misses of the year.
YusukeUrameshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Hi. Any news about differences between BD and Tv version in Dororo series? I mean any deleted/altered/censored scenes?

Last edited by YusukeUrameshi on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
YusukeUrameshi wrote:
Hi. Any news about differences between BR and Tv version in Dororo series? I mean any deleted/altered/censored scenes?

I can't really answer your question, but I am going to put myself at the risk of being 'that guy' by informing that "BR" is not the initials for Blu-ray, but the correct one is "BD" for "Blu-ray Disc". I know that it confused me when I was first learning it, and may help using the correct one if you want to search for any information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1