• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Female-Centric Doujinshi Vendor Meikido Closes Service

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robiii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
How is this news exactly? Most people who use this website dont live in Japan so they cant relate to this at all, so who is this exactly for?
But sure, this is probably a travesty in Japan and whoever is familiar with this second hand store lmao.
Sometimes I feel like ANN posts news just to get a few clicks, no matter how irrelevant it might seem.
Flü

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Robiii wrote:
How is this news exactly? Most people who use this website dont live in Japan so they cant relate to this at all, so who is this exactly for?
But sure, this is probably a travesty in Japan and whoever is familiar with this second hand store lmao.
Sometimes I feel like ANN posts news just to get a few clicks, no matter how irrelevant it might seem.

ANN also reports on Japanese culture and the market there, so this is very much interesting information, even if not many people actually buy their stuff there.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Robiii wrote:

There are probably some people who know this publisher or the artists involved.

Also it's an interesting tick in industry trends as well. Whether that indicates a declining market for girl-focused doujin in this case, or just that one particular publisher dropped out and whether or not it's a sign of things to come.

Journalism doesn't need headline front page news to be worth documenting. You never know when little things might be relevant to understanding the context of larger things.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Robiii wrote:

I'm personally grateful for this news since Meikido was one of a very small number of doujinshi specialty stores that shipped internationally without needing to use a proxy (Alice Books is another one that does, though their selection is rather different). Even if they weren't, an otaku chain store's closure is certainly worth mentioning on this site.

I've never used Meikido myself, but have definitely browsed their online store in the past. They will be missed by many doujin collectors outside of Japan.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Robiii wrote:
But sure, this is probably a travesty in Japan and whoever is familiar with this second hand store lmao..

For the millionth time ANN reports on all facets of anime fandom including things like this. Also note at the top this is clearly marked as an INTEREST piece and not News. If it does not interest you then don't read it. Rather simple. Just because it may not interest you doesn't mean it might not interest others. People do have differing tastes and opinions after all.

Robiii wrote:

Kind of like posts like this right?
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:35 am Reply with quote
One thing that news should have, though, is context.

How many small vendors like this are there?

Another article in the past years mentioned that one of the bigger chains was closing one of it's Ikebukuro stores, but failed to mention that there are still about 5 others of that chain, and other chain doujin stores in Ikebukuro, that haven't closed.

And that Animate's Ikebukuro store has an entire floor of "female-targeted" (i.e. naked-male-focused) doujin. (I don't think it has any "male-targeted" (i.e. naked-female-focused) doujin, but I honestly haven't looked. I am bothered by the hetero-based "target" labels, though, so I do want to clarify that. That's what those labels mean.)

Also, most of the artists I follow sell their doujin online. I think it's kind of unfair for doujin resellers to exist in the first place, they're just middle-sellers. Stores provide two functions - discoverability and logistics. Now that the internet makes it easy for artists to do that for themselves, the stores aren't really necessary.

Even if you have to use a proxy, I feel like it's more honest to use a proxy and buy directly from the artist, on their Pixiv store or something, (yes, Pixiv does have stores, (Pixiv Booth) and a Patreon-like service called Pixiv Fanbox, in case anyone wasn't aware. If you like any Japanese artists enough to buy their books, you should be following their Fanbox, even if you have to use a proxy).

Then again, I honestly don't know much about how much profit artists got from these stores, so maybe they did something. But if they were paying the artists more than they could make back (see the amount of 100¥ bins, and even "free" bins in these stores) then like. That's how to run out of money.

Then again.... it is still really reductive (flattened into seme-uke types) fanfics we're discussing here. So like.

The two bigger chains, Lashinbang and K Books, also have as many, or more, stores selling secondhand official merchandise, as doujin.

So maybe that's what the shift is - buying more official merchandise and less doujin.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing - more money going into production of media = less media being made = more jobs for artists making original things, as opposed to or in addition to doujin/fanart.

I think that's a big part of it.

I think that, ~10 years ago, there was a huge market of female fans looking for BL, that was not served by the mainstream anime industry, and now that's being served - not with as much anime, but with games, drama CDs, and stage plays.

So then, there's less of a market for doujin. But that doesn't mean the "female-targeted"/ikemen-centric market is smaller. It's definitely larger. It's just different.
Cerras

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:00 am Reply with quote
Isn't the first one and won't be the last one closing... I myself am not interested in dojini.

Have only been using surugaya for anything hobby related that has already been released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1