• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wasteful Days of High School Girl (TV)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:29 am Reply with quote

Wasteful Days of High School Girl (TV)

Genres: Comedy, Slice of Life

Themes: School life

Plot Summary:
Quote:
There are three high school girls: Tanaka, nicknamed "Idiot" for her low test scores; Kikuchi, nicknamed "Ota" for her obsession with boys-love stories; and Saginomiya, nicknamed "Robot" for being a genius but emotionless. Together with a colorful cast of characters, the hopeless girls live wasteful days of youth.
(from manga)

-------------------------

Episode 1

Maybe you cannot exactly call it original, or yet say all jokes as successful, but this first episode did remind me of Daily Lives of High School Boys, the names even feel a little bit similar. Mostly that it seems to be having a bit of fun at the anime setting of high school as being so big, although might lean more into how much it can pull from its cast.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I didn't care for Daily Lives of High School Boys but I series I did love... and one Wasteful Days of High School Girl reminds me of... is the show High School Girls except while that one grounds its humor in reality, this one is more absurd. Tanaka wants to become popular with boys so she gets into a prestigious school except it turn out to be an all girl's school. She takes that in stride, thinking that maybe their teacher would be a suitable candidate but, no, he loudly and proudly declares that he only likes college girls. At length and for all the wrong reasons, to high school girls. Still undefeated, Tanaka meets every member of the cast, introducing them, belittling them, nicknaming them all in one go while she asks them for a favor, to introduce her to any boys they might know. As they're all weird girls, they either don't know any boys or the ones they do know are also weird.
And the rest of the episode is finalizing Baka's nickname. She doesn't give up her mission of becoming popular with boys, she just forgets it.

It's a show about wacky characters and I thought it was really funny.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

A thirsty lesbian transfers to an all girls school, and also has a dislike of men with the trait of breaking into hives after touching men, and on even the first day she happens to run into a girl that for some reason makes her get hives. Kind of sounds like the set up of Maria Holic, although Baka was apparently not on Lily's radar. But I think that there is actually a reasonable explanation that explained why Baka caused the reaction, even going through a non sight check, that she apparently passed. Baka spent the episode eating a variety of niche food, where she could be seen wiping chip dust on her hands and mouth especially on the first day, which may reason that Lily has an allergic reaction to something inside of what Baka was eating.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:10 am Reply with quote
While I liked the main gag of the episode, the biggest laugh definitely came from Yamamoto being stuck up the tree outside the window and them needing a cherry picker to get her down. I love quick gags like that... although that one was so quick I had to rewind to get it all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
While I liked the main gag of the episode, the biggest laugh definitely came from Yamamoto being stuck up the tree outside the window and them needing a cherry picker to get her down. I love quick gags like that... although that one was so quick I had to rewind to get it all.

So that's what that was. I saw the cherry picker but I didn't catch the reason behind it. My favorite from that episode was Yamamoto's choosing between sciences or humanities, her thinking behind it, her desire in life to shot arrows from a flying dragon, to have to choose between saving the world or the person she loves.. who's clearly Lily,...why they would sacrifice their life for her, well if they really love her back, she doesn't know...
"If you can't decide, I'm going to call your parents.'
"Humanities."

I think Baka's secretes a liquid that Lily's allergic to. If touching Tanaka's hands is like doing a blindfolded Halloween party trick then there's definitely something special about her skin.

And I have to say that I love the opening song "Moon Dass Cry". I think Sentai knew they had something weird on their hands so they translated it early.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

So that's what that was. I saw the cherry picker but I didn't catch the reason behind it.

Yeah, the set up and punchline came really quick. We saw her face and the the teacher goes to the window and yells "Yamamoto, get back in your seat!" But it and the cherry picker scene were so quick, with such strange blocking, it was hard to catch on one go.

Quote:

I think Baka's secretes a liquid that Lily's allergic to. If touching Tanaka's hands is like doing a blindfolded Halloween party trick then there's definitely something special about her skin.

I thought the punchline was going to be that she was allergic to all the disgusting food Baka was eating. She is not the type to be careful about washing her hands.
People do have allergies to certain processed foods that that pampered girl would likely never touch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And I have to say that I love the opening song "Moon Dass Cry". I think Sentai knew they had something weird on their hands so they translated it early.

Most certainly. I had to check that I had not mentioned it here it, but I think that it is the best one of the season, a great combination of audibly and visually interesting. Specifically I think that it is giving the feeling of a bunch of teenagers messing around, trying to find themselves, and also being embarrassing. Visually, I really like things such as being like a camera actually in the scene, with baka trying to take a picture to look cool, with others also getting their picture taken to express their personality, with Baka doing a few photobombs including one turning out blurry from trying to move in quickly. Other parts feel like we are getting a sort of voyeuristic look, such as the camera bobbing like someone is holding it looking at Majime while she is watching Baka/Robo, and from places like a window while Yamamoto is being chuuni with a cat. And of course the parts towards the end that have the three different girl groups of three doing things along the lines of taking pictures as a means of messing with things like perspective, that kind of feels like what they might do with taking pictures.

On the quick gags, I apparently missed the part where Yamamoto had to be saved from a tree in the school grounds, but I do remember part not given a big piece of attention after Majime went through the rain. Where she tried to play it cool in saying that the rain doesn't affect her pouring more water on her head, but later we see that her headphones are a different colour, implying that the water from not just the rain by the bottle, had probably broken them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Laughing
Almost an entire episode focused on Yamai. I think that it might be the funniest episode yet. Baka as a sort of defacto main character did not even really have a presence until towards the end of the episode, but the combination of stupidity between Yamai and Baka is glorious to behold. The joy sensei must have felt at seeing the two of them in such a strange and embarrassing situation, seemingly going straight to taking selfies with them stuck in the animal cutout, as proof that it not only happened that they came to school like that, but that he was there.

Of course there was another Sensei counselling session, this time on her excessive bandages. Which went from covering up a pointless pencil wound, cause and continuation of heat rashes to fuel her fantasies, trying to draw a crest on her hand that looked too much like excess hair to just deciding to draw it like a watch and then cover up the embarrassment, and just straight up pimples. There was also the introduction of nurse's office sensei, who made the mistake of indulging to listen to Yamai's fantasies, and then trying to play with them to get her to leave, but things like wearing the gas mask and also getting her head stuck in the cutout at the end would say she is maybe not too above things.

And on top of it all, we got their school song as ED, it seemingly about a whole bunch of random stuff, not trying to find out who smells (they can all smell together), and the lines of "be happy". The episode made me laugh so much that I had tears, not since Asobi Asobase, Chio's School Road, HInamatsuri do I think there had been such a strong onslaught of gags.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I am a little confused, in whether this show just went there by having a portion of the episode turn out to all be just a dream. I was actually had lost some faith at some point in the reality of the situation, but it was not that the three main characters somehow got permission to use the school pool in the middle of the night, or a bunch of swimsuits just happen to be there. No, it was that Baka was suddenly very stacked when she was wearing the red swimsuit. Why this was notable was that the mid episode transition card had something a little interesting, it showed the size of the girls breasts, and Baka was shown to be even flatter than Loli, who already did not have much.

But, was the entire episode really actually just a dumb "Can I say something Amazing right now?" that Baka starts every episode with? Ending at the same place it started.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Hey, can I say something amazing right now? There needed to be more of Yamai and Baka together. The episode that had them going off of each other was the funniest, and the show finishing up on a gag of it up in the air if either of them passed onto the next year, was also very funny. Neither of them in sight in the second year classroom, before somewhat of a fake out from Yamai thinking she ended up in an alternate reality and Baka not realizing that she was not talking to her friends, the truth being that they both passed, but forgot about the class change. The funniest part of this episode, which was otherwise mostly going off gags in trying to get Baka to be able to remember things, Baka having forgot the study part of sleep study. Or maybe we just needed more Yamai in general, since she could be the main cause of laugh out loud parts, such as the out of nowhere rap.

I might put a downside that not every part in this show could be as laugh out loud entertaining as it could at times, making me still feel like I would have continued to see characters bounce off each other. Like Loli and Majo had one segment where they seemed to bond over not liking shlocky romance movies, and then only had one gag together of Loli I think feinting from a horror movie that Majo liked, feels like there could have been more used there. Similar with how the school nurse showed up to work off of Yamai different to the teacher, showing an adult not as serious as their teacher, and I don’t think ever came up again. Maybe some credit for episode 11 doing something different, not so much going off of gags but on Wota and Sensei, revealing that the songwriter that she loves is secretly her teacher, giving us insight into him, and I think Wota a lesson in pushing the creativity she has not been able to push herself as hard into as she wants. It was an interesting change of pace.

There were parts of this show I really loved, with an entire episode that was so funny I would put it as a strong contender of something like funniest episode of the year. And other parts that don’t hit as strongly. Overall I give it a rating of Very good (7/10), because the parts I loved pushed everything else. If there is new types of content in the source material, I would really like to maybe see more crazy things.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:08 am Reply with quote
I have to disagree about the funniest part of episode 12. The classroom scene was amusing yet predictable given the two personalities of Yama and Baka. I couldn't stop laughing during the pig scene however because even after knowing about it from the written episode description, I was not prepared for each pig to be obviously and abundantly voiced by each of the lead vas, Baka's friends.
And once each voice was established separately, they ended up with a loud scene of everything crying for Baka to just feed them, playing over the reunion of Baka with Wota and Robo... her new friends trying to get her attention over her old friends. During the final bit of pleading from both sides, Wota and Wota's pig spoke at the same time as did the two Robos. In the end, Baka just had to hug her friends for caring about her... the pig versions.
All of this in an episode called "Friends" and it was set after a scene where Wota and Robo decide that they like having Baka around because they like having someone they can look down on.

All in all, a great ending to a good series, a series that only got better once each of its distinct characters were introduced, developed and then allowed to play off each other. This is the first series of its type that I felt that I needed more after it ended.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:24 am Reply with quote
I did enjoy that the pigs were clearly voiced by the same people that did the corresponding characters. By themselves they were not as funny as when it used the sound to match the versions. Which thinking would have to be something the anime did over the source.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

All of this in an episode called "Friends" and it was set after a scene where Wota and Robo decide that they like having Baka around because they like having someone they can look down on.

That's not quite right. She said that she felt guilty because she had thought she might only be friends with her to look down on her but realized she really did genuinely like her as a valued friend once she was gone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1