• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview - The Producers of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Hearing that the season took longer to make partly due to the location scouting in Italy itself, makes so much sense. The backgrounds were FLAWLESS, especially compared to the typical Japanese setting of Part 4. I don't think Part 6 and 7's backgrounds should be as taxing on them so maybe the character art will stay more consistent for the next two parts(not that it was all that bad this part).

On the flip side, hearing that Araki wanted gangster rap but the team seeing Freek'n You on the list made them want to go with that one is highly disappointing. Freek'n You was funny for a week or two, but I feel like they mostly chose it because gangster rap is very unpopular in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the team didn't see the appeal of it at all.
I suppose the Torture Dance made up for the so so Ending themes this time around.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unlike previous Jojo's series, the protagonist is not exactly a straightforward man of justice.

So you mean Jonathan and only Jonathan.

All protagonists after Jonathan are either morally grey or slightly more evil than Giorno. spoiler[Joesph once shot up a restaurant filled with innocent people to attack a vampire. Jotaro bet his mom's soul and left one villain to die a horrible death in the middle of the desert bound to a rock. Jouske steals, cheats and he ended up condemning the first villain to an eternity of pain, misery and awkward make out session viewings.]

That being said, I think this interview was excellent and it's great to get more insight into how part 5 was made.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
In terms of story execution, Part V definitely wasn't my favorite Jojo, but the anime adaptation was utterly spectacular. Great interview!

(Also color me incredibly confused as to how "Freek'n You" in any way fit the series tonally. Granted, it was hilarious. Laughing )
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What was the process like for producing the series' first opening theme, "Fighting Gold", and how does the Jojo's team keep coming up with such incredible theme songs?

Ehhhhhh..... tastes are subjective, but i feel that Part 5 had the weakest openings of all the Jojo seasons so far. I don't even hate "Traitor's Requiem" as much as most, but give me Part 4 over part 5 anytime.

"Freek'n You" was a weird choice for an ending, but not really any weirder than that Savage Garden song in Part 4, Roundabout in Part 2, or Last Ticket Home in Part 3. What disappointed me though was the visuals in that ending, which were incredibly boring and cheap looking, compared to other Jojo endings that featured heavy use of character stills.

These are nitpicks, though; as a whole, i enjoyed the Part 5 anime a lot, even if it's not my favorite Jojo story.
Ronnie Hall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I will be in the minority with this but Golden Wind was my least favorite thus far in the JoJo saga. I watched all 39 episodes but just missed JoJo and his crazy group of friends that he collects while on his adventures. spoiler[I know Dio is dead but I would have enjoyed more JoJo in this story rather than just in the first episode.]

Just my opinion.
Scias

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Ronnie Hall wrote:
I feel like I will be in the minority with this but Golden Wind was my least favorite thus far in the JoJo saga. I watched all 39 episodes but just missed JoJo and his crazy group of friends that he collects while on his adventures. spoiler[I know Dio is dead but I would have enjoyed more JoJo in this story rather than just in the first episode.]

Just my opinion.

Not at all, I don't think V is anything special either. The fact that people are now proclaiming it to be the best is a little silly to me. It had a crummy translation for the longest time and was just an annoying chore to get through until you got to VI. The fact that it went from the blacksheep of the franchise(outside of Japan) to GOAT is astounding to me.

Rather just wait until Part VI drops and people decide that that one is clearly the best instead. Music choices were really weak this time as well. I was normally excited at which ending song they picked each time and this one was just a weird choice. So many other memorable choices to make instead.

But that's just me.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:01 am Reply with quote
I do agree the scanlations available probably impacted impressions of Part V over here, but I also think this anime did such a great job of improving it in general, I don't doubt a lesser adaptation could've left a similarly sour taste.

I'm kind of reminded of how it seemed like people didn't like Jotaro as much when Stardust Crusaders TV premiered, compared to the old OVA fans. Sure, he was the "default" Jojo with that crowd anyway, but there's a number of small touches the OVAs added that go a long way in humanizing Jotaro a bit better. This anime sort of did that too.

Also: Where is the whole "Part V is most popular in Japan" thing from anyway? I've heard it on and off for years, and it's not like I dispute it, I'm just curious what that's based on, seeing as how it was Part III that got merchandised for years. (Of course Part V WAS the only other one to get a Capcom game back then, though...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:51 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge JoJo's fan, and have been since 2012 when the anime debuted. I have JoJo's tattoos, I'm so obsessed with this show! Having said that, Golden Wind was INCREDIBLE! I don't know if it's my favorite part, as there all so amazing in different ways I can no longer say which part is "THE BEST". Golden Wind by far easily has the best fights. Story wise, I felt it was very similar to Stardust Crusaders, hense why "Modern Crusaders" by Enigma was choosen as the second ending song which was awesome! However, my only nit pick is Freak N You DOES NOT FIT in the ending theme, but it's okay nothing is perfect, but if they changed it to "Gansta's Paradise" by Coolio I think all the JoJo's fans would throw their hands up and say "FINALLY YES!!!" I give this part a 10 outa 10!

Here's what I hope for in the future... A Fugo OVA of his story after Giorno becomes the boss, and he obtains "Purple Haze Feedback". I feel like his character needs that, and they spent the time to do his back story, they need to close his book once and for all with that story.

I also hope they add to Stone Ocean, a scene with Giorno meeting the other children of Dio and him confronting Father Pucci at the end when he has obtained "Made in Heaven". They need to have a fight, but I want the ending of Stone Ocean to remain the same.

I would also super love a JoJo's X Persona video game, but that's super wishful thinking!
Ronnie Hall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:42 am Reply with quote
#899618 wrote:
I would also super love a JoJo's X Persona video game, but that's super wishful thinking!

I agree. A Persona type JoJo game wood demand my attention for sure! I'm not a huge fighting game enthusiast but I do own all of the JoJo games that I am aware of. A Persona spin on JoJo would be amazing to play.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Scias wrote:
The fact that it went from the blacksheep of the franchise(outside of Japan) to GOAT is astounding to me.

Pretty much all of the arcs with the exception of 3 and arguably 2 are divisive for one reason or the other.

Scias wrote:

Rather just wait until Part VI drops and people decide that that one is clearly the best instead.

VI is easily the most divisive part in the series (for good reason) why would the fanbase claim that?

Scias wrote:
I was normally excited at which ending song they picked each time and this one was just a weird choice. So many other memorable choices to make instead.

The only one people wanted was Gangsta's Paradise so I wouldn't say there were "other" memorable choices to make especially when everybody has their own musical tastes.

Animorphimagi wrote:
On the flip side, hearing that Araki wanted gangster rap but the team seeing Freek'n You on the list made them want to go with that one is highly disappointing. Freek'n You was funny for a week or two, but I feel like they mostly chose it because gangster rap is very unpopular in Japan.

Yeahhhh I don't think that's why they chose it.

#899618 wrote:
awesome! However, my only nit pick is Freak N You DOES NOT FIT in the ending theme,

...The main cast is made up entirely of Bishounen dudes how does it not fit?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1