• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri!!! on Ice Anime Film Delayed From 2019 Opening

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fencer_x

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I wish the 'in order to substantially scale up the content more than originally planned' bit could have made it above the fold on your twitter post. I've seen people running around like chickens with their heads cut off because all they've bothered to read is the part about it being postponed and assumed that means it's cancelled instead of, you know, still in production with the release date not set yet Neutral
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
A lot of the dialogue in the last couple of episodes really bankrolled the prospect of a movie, didn't it.

I'm not complaining. I'm just content knowing there will BE a movie, regardless of how long it takes. What I'd appreciate, and this is a longshot, is some more screen time for the other skaters who barely got in, because not everyone was going to make it to the finals.

Would just feel like a waste of effort to create characters but not round them out or give them more than just a face, some costumes, and a skate routine or two.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I don’t think the final episodes of the show have much to do with the delay of the movie as the movie is a prequel focused on Viktor. I’m disappointed in the delay but not really surprised given the lack of updates we’ve had since the teaser. But I would rather they take their time to make it the best movie it can be and I have confidence in the staff and studio.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don’t think the final episodes of the show have much to do with the delay of the movie as the movie is a prequel focused on Viktor. I’m disappointed in the delay but not really surprised given the lack of updates we’ve had since the teaser. But I would rather they take their time to make it the best movie it can be and I have confidence in the staff and studio.

all we know is that the movie will somehow involve some of Victor's past. There's been no confirmation that it's a prequel. A lot of people think it will be a movie taking place in present time that uses flashbacks to frame the story, for example. I have to admit this seems likeliest to me as well, considering they're well aware of the popularity of the Victuuri relationship (and also the fact that Yuuri is the protagonist, not Victor).
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote
The sad thing about waiting so long is that much of the excitement has simmered, like a flame that has lost a lot of its heat (funny comparing a show about ice to fire but ANYWAY). Many of the fans have moved on to other fandoms. So, the film going to be less successful because of the long wait. Will it be worth the wait in the end, anyway?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:40 am Reply with quote
I think there's still plenty of fans. There's just not a lot to talk about when there's been no new content since the original series ended. But there was still plenty of hype and excitement when Team Japan performed to Yuri on Ice music at the Winter Olympics last year. But I think it may have been a mistake for them to go with a movie instead of a second season and I get the impression YOI's narrative may work better in shorter 30 minute episodes than a big long two hour movie.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:47 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think there's still plenty of fans.

"Plenty of fans" doesn't mean it's going to be the success it could have been if it didn't take them 3+ years to get the movie out.
Oggers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:09 am Reply with quote
I had a feeling something like this may happen, considering how there's been such a dearth of news about the movie since July of last year. I'm still glad it hasn't been cancelled outright, though, so I'm happy to wait as long as there's a movie to wait for.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Plenty of fans" doesn't mean it's going to be the success it could have been if it didn't take them 3+ years to get the movie out.
How many years did it take Attack on Titan to get a second season? It’s going to turn out fine. And even if it’s not a huge hit anymore, I would rather have a quality film than a rushed bad one.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think there's still plenty of fans.

The term "scale-up" as was used in the official announcement trended on twitter mere hours after it came out, they'll be more than fine
YuunaNarukami

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
perfect for me, now I can work towards saving money. I forgot about it, so I forgot to save. Wonder how much I can get piled before it comes out. Someone owes me a couple K. lol. I have so much debt to pay off, but it would be worth it; buy a few DVDs and lbs of merch.... I wonder if my priorities are in the right order?
Anime smile + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1