• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gets a Shiny Makeover

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Bittenfeld invoking the Legend of the Galactic Heroes/Rio Rainbow Gate crossover there.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
It seems like your biggest issue is that the show is more like the books than the OVA. Because it’s an almost 1:1 adaptation. Also, Attenborough is in the books, he’s just not as prominent, at least at first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
valondar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
This was hilarious and perfect. Really fun breakdown of the premiere.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit worried the dub for this won't continue...really liked the one for season 1 and now it seems this is CR only since they split from Funi. If they do it down the road they better keep the same cast and crew because I know Brittany Lauda is a big LOGH fan.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I wonder, does the movie do the scene from the OVAs where the Valkyries are flying into the carriers to refuel, and then one of the pilots... I forget who, gets pissed off at the mechanics since they're sending him away w/out doing everything, and as soon as he launches out the carrier explodes? Loved that scene.

Anyway, yeah, the big takeaway here is that the new adaptation doesn't hold a candle to the OVA series. And... it was never going to. I'm still kinda surprised they decided to go in such an... unambiguous direction with it. Still, if nothing else, I suppose it can serve as solid advertising for the better adaptation.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Anyway, yeah, the big takeaway here is that the new adaptation doesn't hold a candle to the OVA series. And... it was never going to. I'm still kinda surprised they decided to go in such an... unambiguous direction with it. Still, if nothing else, I suppose it can serve as solid advertising for the better adaptation.

Unfortunately, I can't watch the OVA series on Hi-Dive and the premium Blu-ray box set is insanely expensive, assuming that Sentai would ship to my U.S. forwarding address. Already finished reading the first eight novels.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:11 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

The big takeaway is that people want the new TV series to just be the old OVA and not a more faithful adaptation of the books that it is. Which is fine, I think the OVA has its advantages over the books, but that's what this boils down to.

fuuma_monou wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't watch the OVA series on Hi-Dive and the premium Blu-ray box set is insanely expensive, assuming that Sentai would ship to my U.S. forwarding address. Already finished reading the first eight novels.

An advantage DNT has over the OVA is it's (so far) affordable (and the first season was dubbed). I think if they adapted all 10 novels you'd find all the Blu-Rays would cost less than the $800 that Sentai wants for their boxset.

Honestly, $800. I know it was probably the Japanese license holders behind that, but still. Sickening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:37 am Reply with quote
I'd argue that the OVA -is- the more faithful adaptation, because it adapts and integrates material from the side-stories into the main continuity. It makes for a much richer and more nuanced story.

fuuma_monou wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

LoGH is one of those rare series that has always been pretty much ONLY available to pirate. For the longest time, the only way to watch it were very low-quality 240p laserdisc rips. This inaccessibility is part of what made LoGH such an enduring cult classic--a monumental series, "hidden" from public view. I can only assume Sentai Filmworks' deliberately priced the box set the way they did to maintain that mystique.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1