• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo's Animation Division Reports Increase in Profits in 1st Half of Fiscal Year 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
The cynic in me is making me wonder how much will make it back to the actual makers of the anime....

Then I wonder how Bleach is still making money. I know it was popular, and hell I'm a fan, but both the anime and the manga ended years ago, without a follow on like Naruto, so how the hell is it still making money over other franchises?
nDroae

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Normally, it's like this:

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-05-26/.116584
Quote:
Business is booming in the anime industry right now. Streaming revenues from North America and China have more than offset declines in DVD/Blu-ray revenues. However, this rise in cashflow is not trickling down to the actual anime production companies, who have spent decades cutting their costs to the bone in order to stay competitive. Rather than pay more for production, the producers on the Production Committees are using the money to make more shows.

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2018-02-21/.128068
Quote:
Revenues from international licensing, and pretty much every other way an anime can make money, don't filter down to the people paid by the animation studio. It DOES directly pay a few prominent members of the staff, such as the original creator, the director, and the head writer, who all enjoy royalty payments. But if the show is a hit, the company tasked with making the show doesn't see an additional dime. They were tasked with doing a job for a specific price, as if they were being paid to cut the lawn. Anime, especially TV anime, has always been a penny-pinching business. Decades of the studios barely scraping by, and often losing money on productions, has meant they simply haven't been ABLE to pay animators more.

So while things aren't as dire as they used to be, that doesn't mean the anime studios are rolling in it. Production committees, and the TV networks that sit on them, exercise a huge amount of control over the budgets and keep the costs low across the board.

Or as AkumaChef explained it here:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5190707#5190707
Quote:
Unless the studio is also on the production committee--which, as you said, is rare--they are simply a contractor. They're fundamentally no different from a contractor you might hire to put a new floor in your kitchen: they are hired to do a specific job according to a contract that both parties negotiated. The studio gets paid a fixed amount of money. It's the production committee and its members who make (or lose) money based on streaming revenue, disc sales, merch, and so on.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Then I wonder how Bleach is still making money. I know it was popular, and hell I'm a fan, but both the anime and the manga ended years ago, without a follow on like Naruto, so how the hell is it still making money over other franchises?

Reruns. Naruto and the various Yu-Gi-Oh series also get reruns.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:

Reruns. Naruto and the various Yu-Gi-Oh series also get reruns.

I'm quite sure that Yu-Gi-Oh! pretty much make its money through card game and Duel Links.
Rowzy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:14 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

I'm quite sure that Yu-Gi-Oh! pretty much make its money through card game and Duel Links.

Bleach also have games, Brave Souls is one of the highest grossing mobile anime game in the US
JMulli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:54 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
The cynic in me is making me wonder how much will make it back to the actual makers of the anime....

Nothing more than what's been going to them to make it for these past years. Most of the profit ends up going to whatever companies are on these production committees and of course, TV Tokyo.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Is the Yugioh sales for Vrains specifically or for the franchise as a whole? I'm curious to know how well Vrains sold versus the past entries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1