• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix's 1st Development Division Works on New Action Game for Consoles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Ever notice that Square is the one company that if they aren't doing FF they're trying to keep folks interested with something else? But often take years to even get anything out. And when it happens it's sort of a...hmmm... FFXV is barely talked about after what how many years. So they have to fall back on a hit, because IT'S TIME! Of course they'll do that right. I don't know Square's creativity kinda died a bit after the late 90's. They had a lot of fun IPs that they could've keep improving but they didn't do it.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Ever notice that Square is the one company that if they aren't doing FF they're trying to keep folks interested with something else? But often take years to even get anything out. And when it happens it's sort of a...hmmm... FFXV is barely talked about after what how many years. So they have to fall back on a hit, because IT'S TIME! Of course they'll do that right. I don't know Square's creativity kinda died a bit after the late 90's. They had a lot of fun IPs that they could've keep improving but they didn't do it.

FF15 lacked content updates for very long. (people gave up on it)

ff14 is still going strong.

they are also one of the major companies that actually MAKES new ips and doesnt focus on just 1 (thoguh FF is a big part of them given its popularity and decades of existence)

octopath was great.

bravely series was a great one too. showing they could still make games like they did back in the sprite ages.

and they DO improve some of their ips. Chocobo dungeon even got a game last year.
tomb raider gets releases regularly.

Dragon quest gets its regular new games.

and their quality of game usually are valid for the time it takes to release new ones.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Ever notice that Square is the one company that if they aren't doing FF they're trying to keep folks interested with something else? But often take years to even get anything out.

Square announces things VERY early compared to everyone else. Almost every other developer keeps their mouths shut until the project's already started (sometimes you don't hear about titles until they're already years into development), so the dev times for Square games seem a lot longer than they actually are... like it or not, big scale 3D games do take years to make.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Ever notice that Square is the one company that if they aren't doing FF they're trying to keep folks interested with something else? But often take years to even get anything out.

Square announces things VERY early compared to everyone else. Almost every other developer keeps their mouths shut until the project's already started (sometimes you don't hear about titles until they're already years into development), so the dev times for Square games seem a lot longer than they actually are... like it or not, big scale 3D games do take years to make.

Yeah, the more advanced 3D becomes the more expensive and longer it takes to implement it (to the best that it can be). Though I would've never expected the online part of the franchise to take off and be so successful. Because it's a new premise using the FF name. That become a whole another debate of what counts as FF. Same as the debates on which FF But I'm hoping that Square after milking FF7 for awhile that they can really bring some good new properties. Although there are still are those that want the popular titles to get new coverage and of course Square I believe is going to fall back on chapter installation of FF7 as a back up should any new titles don't attract a base. After all everyone still loves FF7. I look forward to what these new IPs will bring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1