• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mr. Osomatsu (TV) (all seasons + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
Ep 3

I can't believe they're airing this on TV. XDDDDDDDDDD
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Ep 3

I can't believe they're airing this on TV. XDDDDDDDDDD

But it has Shouei.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 10

This was a good episode. We had a segment about Karamatsu, who is my personal favourite Matsuno. The Totoko being a total failure as an office worker, which was kind of humorous to me in being stressed over working effectively in office jobs, while Totoko clearly just straight up ignored it in being horrible.

And the last segment which was spoofing the dubbing of this show. The part I found the most hilarious when the seemed to suddenly perform the Haka, like so out of place and could not help but think how that may have gone in recording.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:40 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 14

Goddamn that Sanematsu segment.

Who knew that Karamatsu could actually work as being one the cruellest. A hard blow when Karamstsu is insulting your fashion choice while you thought it was cool.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 19

No question that the president sketch was meant to be mocking something specifically. Not political neutral.

The Valentine's day segment, the area of comparison would be the Christmas episode for the impact it could have on the brothers. And it took its time in whether it would fall to those depths. Their mother horrifyingly spotting the descent was funny.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 24

Another late season case of the brothers actually putting their lives together. And it actually kind of has me conflicted. I know that it should not be a problem for a show like this, a gag show, but I feel like it has kind of stagnated, stagnated in the way the brothers just being worthless bums is not entertaining in its own right, and it kind of feels like time that they should actually make an effort to move forward. Again, totally does not make sense for a gag show, and clearly this episode was kind of being clear that them being responsible adults that are all putting effort into work, just would probably not be right for them to go on crazy adventures, or even interact with each other in any odd situation.

Last season kind of had a fake out for it, looking like some of the brothers would become proper adults, before pretty much messing with it by going into complete nonsense. But at this point, after episodes that I think made a point these guys are going nowhere with their never ending dinner outings, I think that it might just be time. This episode actually felt well done with its tone and directing, of a depth of the story. I really liked the first season, but as the second season came, it really has kind of fallen, that it hasn't had much actually engaging. The chemistry here of down to Earth Osomatsu was actually cute with Totoko, not the never-ending that just gets stale.

I know that it might seem like a betrayal of the show itself, but with next weeks episode being the last, I am kind of hoping that it could keep this momentum of these guys actually being decent adults, while still probably showing its silly side without taking away from the first. But who knows, maybe they will pull out something incredibly funny?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure what to expect, but I think it will have them moving forward while still remaining intrinsically Matsus. That seemed to be the epiphany Osomatsu reached at any rate. No idea what exactly that would entail, but something useful they can still do together.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 25

Well, I would not say that it was an entire rebuttal to the story that the sextuplets had to grow up, that they maybe move forward. It was a zany episode still, that they died and are sent to hell, even in the series they were talking about them dying was thematically fitting for a last episode. It actually feels a little ambiguous about how much of an acceptance that this series could not just continue to have this lot dick around. There was still saying that some messing around is fun, which is fine, I agree with that, there was still a threshold they needed to cross. The zombie aspect towards the end just felt kind of on point. The very end said "See you again someday", which just makes me think that if it does come back, I think something will have to change somehow, the end card did also seem to be graves of some sort.

So I think that it is clear that I am not entirely positive on this season. Not that I hate the show, I still consider myself a fan of it, I really think it stopped being able to add something fresh, which made the first season so good. So I give a rating of Decent (6/10). Just a question of whether it really be fine that this stay "dead" for a while, before there is a better time and ideas.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
Movie

Yes, a movie. Was kind of weirded out by the idea, sure I like the series, but what could possibly make it worth having one continuous story approaching 2 hours. The series proper throws in full on gag segments, what could be worth watching these idiot NEETs for that long. And yet, the end kind of had me tears, it kind of did what the best Osomatsu-san episodes did, like the Jyushimatsu's Girlfriend episode, being a little vague.

An interesting choice has the movie kind of a few times kind of feel like the psychedelic parts of the opening songs, all sorts of randomness. And the main core was along the lines of the relationship the Matsunos had in their final year and graduation of high school. As far as I know there isn't really a series set during that period, and what we learned here was that the boys started to get frustrated by being compared to each other, considered as weird and part of a group. So they went from their sort of similar character I understand were in earlier series, and tried to branch out.

There is a lot of jokes and everything, about how weird they each were, but the kicker was the finale where they thought they would meet the mysterious girl that spoiler[sent them a love letter], where it just seemed kind of anticlimactic if it was a spoiler[love letter crush]. The mysterious Takahashi Nozomi. You had to kind of read in between the lines, but the implication was that spoiler[Takahashi was sick, she was moving far away after graduation, likely for some sort of treatment, and chances were that it was pretty terminal]. The actual contents of letter pointed that it was not something like a spoiler[simple crush, she kind of simply liked them, their antics made her laugh, and gave her good high school memories]. Something likely very spoiler[precious to her as whatever problem she had likely meant she might not have had a very happy time, but through them, perhaps vicariously, she enjoyed herself.]

That is kind of a sad story in its own right, right along with what I said of the Jyushimatsu's Girlfriend, through context you could pick up was someone who had a hard time with things like depression. Takahashi was spoiler[a girl who really enjoyed her youth, despite the bleak outlook, because of the silly antics of the boys.] The slideshow was practically killing me, after seeing sspoiler[he may very well have passed away at the end of hoping they would hold memory of her]. So happy it managed to liven things up a bit at the very end by connecting spoiler[her being the cat, to seeing them strip]. Put into a larger narrative, you could put it as an appreciation for the likes of all the fans to this or similar shows, which you could argue did not mean much, but really could mean a lot to specific people. Or perhaps a message to the audiences, that they never know the impact they may have had on other people they passed in life, something that might have felt unimportant, or just something passing to be forgotten, might be something incredibly important to someone else. So don't get down about your silly youth, because you might have done something you will never understand.

Maybe I am reading too much into it all, that there isn't really anything deep, but in all honesty it kind of feels like something I need right now. Sort of reminds me what I was actually surprised of when I went to my school reunion, that I was just a super quiet and probably weird kid that no one cared about. But when I went there I was surprised that people recognised me, were super friendly, and did not put me down like I had a self image of. Anyway, the movie was kind of good in that way that I think was the right kind of emotional. In terms of comedy I think made me laugh a few times, but otherwise standard keeping my attention. The Totoko version was probably one of the funnier. Also, Dayon's head spoiler[became a penis].

As for a rating, I am going to rate the movie as Very good (8/10), at least for me as a fan of the series it was a don't miss. I was feeling kind of down recently, and despite or because of the tears at the end, I kind of feel better.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:56 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 4

The third season has been going for a few episodes, but this one felt worth commenting on, specifically because it felt like this episode delivered on the promise that the OP and ED had made in bringing back Nyaa in what seemed to be a larger role alongside Totoko. Would not have guessed that it would start in a somewhat heavy segment, showing that Nyaa is exhausted, separated from her husband (some continuity) and is a single mother. That was an interesting segment to focus on some female characters without gender swapping the cast. Also a nice little reference to what we saw in the movie showing that Nyaa used to be a fan of Totoko in high school.

The episode also started with Ichimatsu bringing Todomatsu onto his late night recording of a radio show on a cassette tape with far too much effort in it, which left Todomatsu totally speechless at the cringe.

Oh, there was also a hilarious segment last episode, with what appeared to be a random ass entirely separate show starting at the end of the episode, I think magical angel Ichi. Had Jyushimatsu as a pretty boy, but the real gold was the main character going totally evil the second she got magical powers.

The season has been building up a couple of AI robots as part of a longer story, which after last episode had me wondering if they were some aspect of a stand in for corporate analysis of entertainment to make things more marketable. The best part with it so far was probably with Totoko, where she was not happy at not getting full marks for her cuteness alone, and then after analyising her character in terms of her actions they summarised her as a piece of shit. Totally saw it coming and the fallout was funny. Totoko segments are often favourites.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this season so far more than last. While the Quest for Midnight Ramen was pretty funny, I couldn't help but think Matsuyo was thinking an awful lot like some orange-faced toddler with her "If I don't win I'm taking everything down with me" strategy.

At any rate, I don't see how they'll ever top the first episode of this season, with the appearance of all the seiyuu except for Totty's, whose animated seiyuu, Irino Miyu, was mysteriously replaced by "Kouji Murakami" (who also showed up in Ep. 3. Very Happy). I loved that episode even more than the banned premier of the reboot.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
At any rate, I don't see how they'll ever top the first episode of this season, with the appearance of all the seiyuu except for Totty's, whose animated seiyuu, Irino Miyu, was mysteriously replaced by "Kouji Murakami" (who also showed up in Ep. 3. Very Happy). I loved that episode even more than the banned premier of the reboot.

It is great when the show and those that make it can make jab it itself. What was great about the return of Kouji Murakami was how it contrasted to the second episode segment that had three of the brothers seemingly candid talking to each other, with the character being one that they have no idea how react. That segment contrasted further with Ichimatsu's radio show. The first episode even went after itself for the multiple versions of the sextuplets such as gender bent versions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:45 am Reply with quote
I strongly suspect that the AI twins are a parody of SoftBank's Pepper robot. "We're just here to make you happy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeQCIkrLvc
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
There has to be more to them, such as that there is someone behind them. Multiple characters have questioned their origin and why they could have possibly chosen the sextuplets, for it not to have some ulterior motive behind the whole thing. Problem with a possible existing character behind them is that they have pretty much criticized every such character, or they would have no reason to be bothered with them.

I was particularly interested in the times that they did things like say that Dekapan is obscene, that Chibita is an offensive nickname and seem super interested in knowing what exactly makes the sextuplets tick to a sort of nefarious extent.

I did like that the most recent episode was the latest version of tidbits collection. The show can tend to be fun when it gets into these quick little skits that can be widely different from each other and vary in continuity of setting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah, that's kind of obvious that there's a punchline waiting in the wings. I just meant their design, including the chest screen, was likely inspired by Pepper.

This episode didn't exactly have me rolling in the aisles, although the docking and the voice dilemma were pretty good. Chibita's salon trip and Dad's inexplicable job were ok too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9