• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
1st All-New Pokémon Anime Film in 2 Years to Open on July 10

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:57 am Reply with quote
The title makes me wonder if they’ll finally return to doing movies based in the TV show canon as opposed to the recent trend of AU movies since the new season is also just Pocket Monsters.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The film will be the first all-new anime film in the franchise in two years, since the most recent films in the franchise include Pokémon Detective Pikachu (a live-action film) and Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution (a 3D CG remake of the 1998 film Pocket Monsters: Mewtwo no Gyakushū).

Two years is really not long enough a time for them to try making this into a milestone.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:28 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Quote:
The film will be the first all-new anime film in the franchise in two years, since the most recent films in the franchise include Pokémon Detective Pikachu (a live-action film) and Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution (a 3D CG remake of the 1998 film Pocket Monsters: Mewtwo no Gyakushū).

Two years is really not long enough a time for them to try making this into a milestone.

It’s a first for the franchise in almost two decades. I hope it’s good. The 2018 film was fantastic!
zeopower6

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Quote:

For Japanese annual anime movies it is out of the ordinary for them to stop for big franchises like this. Like if Conan or some other franchise even stopped for a year...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:08 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The title makes me wonder if they’ll finally return to doing movies based in the TV show canon as opposed to the recent trend of AU movies since the new season is also just Pocket Monsters.

I liked both I Choose You and The Power of Us as something distinct of the TV anime series.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:34 am Reply with quote
I'm just wondering if Evolution's going to get an English release. Usually we'd have already gotten a TV airing of it by this point but don't think there's been any official acknowledgement of it whatsoever.

Granted I can kind of see why they would pass on it, since could get in the way of Detective Pikachu DVD sales a bit, no matter whether you make it faithful to the Japanese or faithful to the original dub you're going to annoy somebody, and the whole endeavor's kind of just pointless to begin with.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I liked both I Choose You and The Power of Us as something distinct of the TV anime series.
I hadn’t seen The Power of Us yet but I found I Choose You to be a bland retelling of the Kanto arc and the new original film characters to be lacking in personality. I miss the traditional movies of getting to see the TV show characters in a big budget adventure as opposed to these movie original characters that end up being forgotten about by the time the next movie is out.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
So yeah, it’s a bit loaded for ANN to headline that it’ll be two years at the point of release since as of right now that’s a reference to something that still occurred just last year. Not really a big enough deal to headline and so why would you?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
So yeah, it’s a bit loaded for ANN to headline that it’ll be two years at the point of release since as of right now that’s a reference to something that still occurred just last year. Not really a big enough deal to headline and so why would you?

Keep in mind that this is how the Japanese news sources are also phrasing their headlines:

https://natalie.mu/eiga/news/359249
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
Where the heck is the dub for Mewtwo Evolution? It makes no sense why there has been no release at this point...Why is it taking so long?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Was the screening at Anime Expo of Mewtew Strikes Back dubbed, or subtitled? If dubbed, why hasn’t it been released in theaters by now?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Was the screening at Anime Expo of Mewtew Strikes Back dubbed, or subtitled? If dubbed, why hasn’t it been released in theaters by now?
It was a subbed screening which had a lot of fans excited that we might finally get an official subtitled release but we’ve heard nothing since then.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope the new movie won’t be CGI.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
I hadn’t seen The Power of Us yet but I found I Choose You to be a bland retelling of the Kanto arc and the new original film characters to be lacking in personality. I miss the traditional movies of getting to see the TV show characters in a big budget adventure as opposed to these movie original characters that end up being forgotten about by the time the next movie is out.

For the record, I found I Choose You to be... okay? Not bad, but not necessary. Characters were just there. Fun to watch, that's it. Power of Us, however, was REALLY engaging, though, and possibly my favorite Pokemon film up there with Jirachi and Lucario's films (I also like the Hoopa film, but for more personal reasons). They may never reuse the characters, but I won't be forgetting them anytime soon. ...And I watched the English dub first, which is leagues worse than the Japanese in my opinion, so that's a good first impression.
Bullza

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what you guys are talking about, I watched both I Choose You and Power of Us recently and both were absolutely terrible. I mean really every Pokemon movie is terrible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2