• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibōken Manga Gets New Anime Adaptation in Fall 2020 (Updated)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this will replace Kitaro.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
Emblem of Roto is actually ok but this one, bleh. That said, the 80s and 90s anime were crap too and the manga is a bestseller.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banjo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:16 am Reply with quote
curios how many episodes gonna take..
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:39 am Reply with quote
Somewhere, Togashi's back just winced in pain.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:02 am Reply with quote
Holy [expletive] fudge. It's been years I'm hoping for this. Since they did Ushio and Tora, and continued to reanimate old show, I'm hoping for a new adaptation of Dai, that would cover the whole serie. I'm hyped.

Now I'm curious about the number of episode. Because if you want something correct, you need at the very least 50 episodes, but ideally about 100. Or it needs to be done in seasons, if they don't want another Hoshin.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:33 am Reply with quote
My favorite series
Echii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:14 am Reply with quote
This is really great news. I can't believe it is getting a remake. I always dreamed that it will get new anime one day

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
I hope it gets full adaptation

I did read the manga, and it is one of my favorite

residentgrigo wrote:
Emblem of Roto is actually ok but this one, bleh. That said, the 80s and 90s anime were crap too and the manga is a bestseller.

You got be joking. Dai no Daibōken is way better than Emblem of Roto. not even close. The character development, story are way better, and it has of the best villains
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
Seeing him glow like that reminds me of ultra instinct. With both an anime and video game adaptation coming I should really get to giving the source material a try before the show comes along.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
Never thought this could happen after so long! Like the manga and first anime, so kind of hyped for this. If the anime at least cover all the way to spoiler[Dai VS Baran after Pop's sacrifice] then I'll be over the moon, lol!

Curious if whoever picks this up will use the Dragon Quest series localization or not.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Curious if whoever picks this up will use the Dragon Quest series localization or not.

Considering it's Toei, it's most likely going to Crunchyroll and they'll use whatever is provided to them since Toei has their own translators (for better or worse).
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Haterater wrote:

Considering it's Toei, it's most likely going to Crunchyroll and they'll use whatever is provided to them since Toei has their own translators (for better or worse).

I imagine this to be like the Ace Attorney anime and they’ll have separate sub tracks. One a more literal translation and one a “localized” translation. Also with Square Enix involved with a game tie in, they might push for it to be localized like a new DQ game (punny renames and such, it’d be cool if we got British VA too, but that’s a HUGE stretch)
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
So THAT’S why he got in Jump Force
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Haterater wrote:

I imagine this to be like the Ace Attorney anime and they’ll have separate sub tracks. One a more literal translation and one a “localized” translation. Also with Square Enix involved with a game tie in, they might push for it to be localized like a new DQ game (punny renames and such, it’d be cool if we got British VA too, but that’s a HUGE stretch)

I think this could be a unique instance where the names remain unchanged, but the terminologies or, more specifically, the attack names, will be localized for Western audiences. This isn't like a Jojo situation where they're forced to change some names because of copyright concerns.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
So THAT’S why he got in Jump Force

It's easy to believe so but it should also be noted that he was one of the missing characters who was supposed to be in J-Stars since there were files found for him in that game along with Jotaro & Dio so this was a good opportunity to include them here and with the Dai series being popular in the Middle East, it helps the western focus that Bamco was going for with Jump Force (just like with Ryo Saeba representing France where City Hunter is popular).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2