• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Carole & Tuesday, Demon Slayer, Vinland Saga Land Most Nominations for Crunchyroll's A

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
this is what happens when you put 30 elitist in a room together.
the same 5 super popular and super niche shows are gonna dominated everything.

although I'm glad to see Vinland Saga getting a lot of love though.
Super_M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
So, Crunchyroll not include movies in their categories. Well I think anime episodes are more popular than anime movie in west, but they could still create category for best movie in the future. Guess Promare and Heaven's Feel would not be appreciated in this awards.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
So, Crunchyroll not include movies in their categories. Well I think anime episodes are more popular than anime movie in west, but they could still create category for best movie in the future. Guess Promare and Heaven's Feel would not be appreciated in this awards.

The lack of a movie category is rather odd. They had one last year if I'm not mistaken.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Askeladd is not an antagonist, what armature put this mess together.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:40 pm Reply with quote
The Hansond Jaysond Lee wrote:
this is what happens when you put 30 elitist in a room together.
the same 5 super popular and super niche shows are gonna dominated everything.

although I'm glad to see Vinland Saga getting a lot of love though.

I'm more surprised Stars Align only had 1 nomination. Perhaps the nomination cutoff period was before the judges noticed it. Shield Hero's shut out is not much of a surprise either, considering some of the judges we're bragging about their intent to do so even as far back as a year ago.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Out of 18 categories, nine of them have an entry I agree with. I guess 50% is a good percentage, right?
Bueller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Mirio deserved a nomination in the best boy category. Sad
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:27 pm Reply with quote
why in gods name Demon Slayer's OP isn't nominated when everyone loved it ? (and Dororo OP too, i remember it being hyped to heaven too when it was out.)

well, i guess it just happened that the few people in the jury didn't like it as much uh.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I always vote in the Crunchyroll awards every year but I always end up dreading the discourse every year as well.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Alright, which of you guys on the jury put Dr. Stone in Best Character Design? Good lord haha
That being said, I think the nominees are mostly fine!

Positives:
- Glad to see Dororo get a little love (I thought it would be completely shut out)
- I'm happy with most of the technical awards! Best Animation is a really strong category.
- Same with OP/ED, there's just too much good stuff to include all of them.
- The genre awards are pretty well balanced and get to show some love for stuff like Stars Align that would otherwise go unnoticed (although I don't really know why Sarazanmai is in Best Comedy...).
- I'm glad there's at least two non-shonen leads in Best Protagonist with Hyakkimaru and Tohru.
- I'm super surprised, but glad Dr. Stone is not in AOTY. I totally expected it to be there.

Negatives:
- I would have included Fruits Basket or Attack on Titan S3 in AOTY over The Promised Neverland. Easily.
- I wish O'Maidens in Your Savage Season got more love than just AOTY and Best Couple (seriously, that show had all the best female characters, but no, we have to leave room for Nezuko...).
- No Best Film category Sad How else am I going to show love for Promare?!
- Kyo has been Best Boy since 2001, how can you not give him a nomination? Haha he'll be back in 2020 Cool

The Best English VA category is probably the biggest disappointment, but I kind of expected it. Its almost entirely made up of Crunchyroll-produced or LA/Bang Zoom dubs and that just feels super suspect. Like the jury didn't even try here, unlike last year which felt like a better representation of multiple studios. Funimation only got one nomination, but most of my favorite dubs and performances were from that studio (Fruits Basket thankfully got in somehow, but Sarazanmai, Attack on Titan, MHA, Kono Oto Tomare, and Dr. Stone all had some really great performances that were overlooked. I think if a jury member only watched like, a couple dubs within the year, they should just abstain from voting (some probably did but who knows). I was really hoping to see Ricco Fajardo as Mirio here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
They picked the wrong ED for Carol & Tuesday. I would've voted for "Not Afraid" by Alisa.

Anyway, I voted for fun, and the nominees were interesting, but I don't really care how it turns out. I can't imagine wasting the time to vote every day. Smile I can see being disappointed or annoyed by the choices and outcomes, but I don't know why some people are so heavily invested in this to where it's like Crunchyroll killed their dog or something and they want to launch an internet jihad on them. Even more baffled that anyone ever expects these things to live up to some "fair" or "objective" benchmark of Bestness.

Has winning or losing a CR award, or failing to be nominated at all, ever been shown to have any effect whatsoever, positive or negative on the subsequent popularity of a series or its sales, or VAs getting work? If not, it might as well be a participation trophy. I could maybe see music getting a boost from people who hadn't heard it before.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
They picked the wrong ED for Carol & Tuesday. I would've voted for "Not Afraid" by Alisa.

Anyway, I voted for fun, and the nominees were interesting, but I don't really care how it turns out. I can't imagine wasting the time to vote every day. Smile I can see being disappointed or annoyed by the choices and outcomes, but I don't know why some people are so heavily invested in this to where it's like Crunchyroll killed their dog or something and they want to launch an internet jihad on them. Even more baffled that anyone ever expects these things to live up to some "fair" or "objective" benchmark of Bestness.

People are still angry about Yuri on Ice winning that one category from a few years ago.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why Crunchyroll doen't simply make it a critics award show when the judges get 70% of the vote. The main reason it gets criticism each year is because a lot of people act like it is a popularity contest when it isn't. As such every year I have seen far left people go around social media using the results of the Crunchyroll awards to claim that Christians and conservatives aren't watching anime which is why it gets so much discussion.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Even more baffled that anyone ever expects these things to live up to some "fair" or "objective" benchmark of Bestness.

Popularity is pretty objective IMO. But given the way nominations work popularity doesn't get taken into account. For a fan award the fans seem to have actually very little influence
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
The nominations are fine. All the important anime is being represented, but some people love to complain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3