• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III Game Gets PC Release on March 23

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
this is us after hearing nothing about Cold Steel 4
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:25 pm Reply with quote
The lack of a CS4 announcement may be a PR thing -- maybe they're not willing to commit to it until the CS3 releases have been out on all major platforms long enough for CS4 adverts not to spoil the principal wave of players.

I'm mostly bummed about there still being not even whispers of Zero/Ao. Well, at least Geofront's almost done with their upgraded Zero fan-translation.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Cold Steel fans have gotta be the most impatient fans ever. Come on, CS3 was just announced a year ago and got released three months ago, and games with scripts this large are a lot of work to translate. Zero/Ao remakes haven't even come out in Japan yet, and Falcom doesn't even begin to negotiate licensing until after their games are released in Japan.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize Zero/Ao remakes had been announced at all. That's encouraging -- makes sense that they'd be unlikely to officially localize them until after the remakes release.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:30 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Cold Steel fans have gotta be the most impatient fans ever. Come on, CS3 was just announced a year ago and got released three months ago, and games with scripts this large are a lot of work to translate. Zero/Ao remakes haven't even come out in Japan yet, and Falcom doesn't even begin to negotiate licensing until after their games are released in Japan.

Wow thank you; somebody needed to say this. Nihon Falcom isn't AAA, and the amount of text in these games is akin to climbing every mountain and then some. It doesn't get shoved through Google translate and then expelled into English.

Falcom was quoted back when they shifted focus to the current generation of consoles that they were considering the North American market more than they had prior, with how popular their games are now in the US. In context that could point to them wanting to get JPN and NA releases a little closer together, in addition to considering the opinions of NA fans & buyers. CS3 didn't sell as well as the prior titles when it first released, so my guess would be similar to what was posted a ways up; Falcom is likely going to shell out the PC release, see how it sells, and decide accordingly how to handle CS4's English localization.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:12 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

I was only joking personally Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1