• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai BR

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I thought the dialogue was extraordinary and what drew me in and riveted during each arc. The artwork, especially the girl's individual designs are an added plus. One of my favorite shows from the late 2010's. Ordered this as soon as it was announced! Very Happy
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If the series has a major weakness, it's its stopping point. How Kaede's series-ending arc ends isn't fully satisfying

(Disclaimer: I have not read the LN's.)

For me, the disappointment with Kaede's arc is less that it suddenly stops (she got everything the other girls got)... It's mostly that it was horribly compressed (an episode and half at best), and her story is suddenly tossed aside to concentrate on the Sakuta/Mai dynamic. As I said at the time "Kaede ended up being a side character in her own arc."

Not having read the LN's, I chalk this up to the need to reach the specific stopping point to provide a springboard into the movie.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I really feel like they could've done a little more with this release. Like, used to be Aniplex would at least dub a popular series with some romantic drama, but now they won't even do that much.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:07 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Quote:
If the series has a major weakness, it's its stopping point. How Kaede's series-ending arc ends isn't fully satisfying

For me, the disappointment with Kaede's arc is less that it suddenly stops (she got everything the other girls got)... It's mostly that it was horribly compressed (an episode and half at best), and her story is suddenly tossed aside to concentrate on the Sakuta/Mai dynamic. As I said at the time "Kaede ended up being a side character in her own arc."

Not having read the LN's, I chalk this up to the need to reach the specific stopping point to provide a springboard into the movie.

My thoughts exactly. I think they were doing a good job with her arc, but I didn't like the fact that she was pushed aside just to end up with a nice MaixSakuta moment, which made me not feel satisfied with the ending. She didn't deserve that.

I think this and a few other things about the show would have turned out better if the series had been two cours. But I guess a movie is more profitable.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While they haven't been common in recent years, stories about a young male protagonist who goes around solving the (oft-supernatural) problems of various cute girls have been a staple of anime over the past couple of decades. […] While it does not pack the intense emotional appeal of defining titles like Air and Kanon, it offers things that those titles do not: a more compelling male lead, issues resulting from thoroughly contemporary situations that are easily relatable

I can see where you’re coming from, and it’s a valid comparison, but I never felt like the aesthetic and structure of the old VN-based romances (particularly the Key stuff like Air and Kanon) was a direct influence on Bunny-Girl Senpai. I felt this series was more like the protagonist-reforming and somewhat-romantic entanglements of SNAFU crossed with the supernatural-phenomenon-of-the-week of the various -monogataris. I think what makes them different is that the modern LN features more forceful and purposeful female characters like Bakemonogatari’s Senjougahara or SNAFU’s Yukinoshita than fragile visual novel pushovers like Clannad’s Nagisa.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series, its biggest detraction was the length as I felt it could have been longer.

As for Kaede's ARC I think you see abit of her story in every other ARC, without going into spoilers it is directly related to his issues, and does have a link to Shoko's ARC.

Keep in mind that Shoko's ARC in the movie does change the overall tone of the series.

You will need to be familiar with the TV series to enjoy the movie, and the movie does an excellent job putting a capstone on the TV series.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This stems in part because these cases feel less like contrivances and more like problems real teenagers could actually have:

It's why the "macguffin disease" was called Adolescent Syndrome/puberty syndrome, it's the condition of being a teenager. I referred to the state mockingly as such when it was first introduced and dropped the series at episode 7 as it turned out that was the case. "They were serious?!" I guess they thought they were being clever, a kind of Bakemonogatarilite... as if that descriptive title needed more letters tacked on to it.

Can you do such a series without the supernatural trappings, could you do a romance anime without the makings of a harem? Yeah, it was called Toradora and it was awesome, Bunny Sempai merely ticked me off by having a great core couple AND a harem.

"Hey, you're my girlfriend, I really like you... do you mind if I date this other girl." Not a question...
"Knock yourself out."Of course she's ok with it and there went my respect of the character.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the show quite a bit but it should have been longer. It had a few cliches but not enough to make it unwatchable. I think my biggest problem with this release is the lack of a dub-and at the absurd prices aniplex charges that's unforgivable. I'l pass on this release.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Bunny Sempai merely ticked me off by having a great core couple AND a harem.

2 girls equates to a harem???
ditto526

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:28 pm Reply with quote
i loved the series and have enjoyed seeing a couple of times, spoiler[but from what i have heard about the movie we may all be disappointed with the way it ends]
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:13 am Reply with quote
ditto526 wrote:
i loved the series and have enjoyed seeing a couple of times, spoiler[but from what i have heard about the movie we may all be disappointed with the way it ends]

I wasn't.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
ditto526 wrote:

As I mentioned previously the movie does change the overall tone of the series. I personally enjoyed it. So YMMV.
uno111

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:16 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Can you do such a series without the supernatural trappings, could you do a romance anime without the makings of a harem? Yeah, it was called Toradora and it was awesome, Bunny Sempai merely ticked me off by having a great core couple AND a harem.

You're just wrong. There wasn't any harem in BGS, it was very clearl that the mc and Mai are both couples ad the other girls are wither just friends or his sibling. They clearly have no romantic relationship with the mc and was just helped by the mc. BGS is better than Toradora btw
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1