• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question about freedom of speech in this website

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:14 am Reply with quote
Why any comment that does not agree with feminism get deleted for example ??

For some reason, a lot reviewer in this website give low rating for episodes that has "sexual harassment" and if you disagree your comment get deleted most of the time without giving any warning or any reason !!

Why is that ?? Why different opinion are not tolerated ??
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:32 pm Reply with quote
There is a vast difference between simply having different opinions and trolling thread or soapboxing. There is a vast difference between debate and discussion, and bigotry and intolerance. Saying you don't agree with a reviewers opinion is not the same as saying they are an idiot feminist who doesn't know how to review anime.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:33 am Reply with quote
You agree to the terms (and 'Teh Rules- look above the message body when you post) of this forum when you sign up. "Freedom of speech" means you have the right to say what you want to a very large degree- it DOES NOT mean ANN has to provide you a place to say them. Every "forum" on the net and in the real world has their own rules for conduct that you are meant to adhere to while participating. If no forum allows you to say what you want, make your own forum or speak them in a truly public space. This is a privately owned space and you have to adhere by Teh Rules.

6. Moderators have full discretion to enforce the spirit of the rules
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:25 am Reply with quote
Our rules state this:
Quote:
...we do not allow hateful speech that denigrates an individual, or group of individuals based on their identity. This includes, but is not limited to, any speech that suggests that any person or group is in any way inferior due to their age, religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, culture, gender, sexual identity and sexual orientation, and physical and mental ability. We also consider hate speech to include any suggestion the rights of an individual should be limited due to the above mentioned identifiers or that their personhood is in some way unethical.

Our rules already forbid hateful speech, so we would like to remind you that any attack on any age, religion, race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual identity or sexual orientation will be immediately dealt with by our moderators.

It should be noted that feminism has a variety of different movements within it, and as a result, people may define feminism in different ways. Your definition of feminism may not be the same as mine.

Regardless of your definition of feminism, any statement you make on this forum that is hateful towards women, denigrates women, implies that women are underserving of equal rights and opportunity is expressedly forbidden by our rules and will be dealt with by our moderators.

Your recent attack on "feminism" seemed to attack the idea that women don't deserve to be treated "better than men," but no one here has ever stated that, and most people don't equare feminism with "treating women better than men," (that would be sometimes called chivalry, which many would argue is unfeminist). Your comments are a form of bad-faith arguement called "strawman attack," attacking something, or someone, for something they didn't actually say. While not explicitely mentionned in our rules, we consider bad-faith arguements to be against the spirit of our rules.

Freedom of speech is an exceptionally important right, but it is not an unlimited right, it has it's limits. Most countries, place limits on what you can lawfully say. Likewise, ANN places limits on what can be said in these forums.

I hope this clears everything up for you.

Christopher Macdonald
Publisher
Anime News Network

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:38 am Reply with quote
OK what about this comment ?

Quote:

So what if it "Objectifies" women ?!

Women these days wear little clothes in the street and clubs and some people worried about objectifying women in some fictional show that causes absolutely no harm to anyone

I wrote this one here but it got deleted
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3148619&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Why this comment got deleted??
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:52 am Reply with quote
I guess I should wait for Tempest or others, but I get the feeling they are very tired of cleaning this stuff up and will lose their cool from being constantly prodded.

That is a classic modern example of sexism. As men do, women should be free to wear clothes they find comfortable or attractive or fun, or practical for the purpose (say, jogging) without being labeled as sexual "objects". By looking at a woman and thinking "sex" instead of "woman" you are by definition objectifying them as an object.

Not to say you CAN'T be aroused, it's a natural reaction for men AND women, but just STOP and think about what you're doing and realize just because you're aroused doesn't mean their appearance is (always) specifically designed to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
@ #903234,

I removed the post after it was reported as sexist.

1. You're an alt of a user who has previously been placed on moderation. Generally, we remove alts as soon as we become aware of them.

2. I'll quote this line from the rules,

Quote:
The moderators and staff reserve the right to remove anyone actively creating an unwelcome environment at their own discretion.

Posts like yours create an unwelcome environment for our female readers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1