• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Skate-Leading Stars TV Anime Reveals More Cast & Staff, Story Intro, July Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:10 am Reply with quote
There are so many issues with this already starting with the skateleading... like I get they made up a fictional sport but that's... not how ice skating works at all???!!!!
Also a rival tells the main character to give up so they just do??? Not even accounting for the lack of a backbone, considering that they are high school aged for the series, they would have started skating as a kid which is generally only done when their parents want them to be a skater, and most parents like that aren't just like "you want to quit, sure"
And does anyone else think these are rather lazy character designs from Yana Toboso?
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:55 am Reply with quote
I don’t know how to feel about this. Love figure skating in general, love Yuri!! on Ice, but they made up a new figure skating competition?! They could’ve done an anime about ice skating performers (icecapades type shows) or pairs figure skating or ice dancing (but that would require *gasp!* including female characters!) but they decided to make up something entirely out of thin air. And those character designs look like idol show leftovers...not promising at all. Such wasted potential for another good figure skating anime (I was hoping YoI would start a trend, but it didn’t happen )
Sad
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:44 am Reply with quote
IceLeaf wrote:
There are so many issues with this already starting with the skateleading... like I get they made up a fictional sport but that's... not how ice skating works at all???!!!!
Also a rival tells the main character to give up so they just do??? Not even accounting for the lack of a backbone, considering that they are high school aged for the series, they would have started skating as a kid which is generally only done when their parents want them to be a skater, and most parents like that aren't just like "you want to quit, sure"
And does anyone else think these are rather lazy character designs from Yana Toboso?

Honestly, I guess it's because the anime staff want to introduce something different into the mix and thus establish their own project identity, rather than exclusively aiming for hardcore ice skating enthusiasts, or blindly riding the wave without any effort. In other words, it's taking a risk but also one that allows them a little more creative freedom than simply making something called, say, Arnold on Ice or whatever.

After all, the world of anime is surely large enough to contain more than one type of skating show as well as both realistic and fictional representations of sports, so why shouldn't they give it a try?

As for opinions on the plot, for me it seems a bit silly to dissect a short summary at this point.

They seem alright to me. Not sure about what type of character designs you're expecting though.

Agent355 wrote:
I don’t know how to feel about this. Love figure skating in general, love Yuri!! on Ice, but they made up a new figure skating competition?! They could’ve done an anime about ice skating performers (icecapades type shows) or pairs figure skating or ice dancing (but that would require *gasp!* including female characters!) but they decided to make up something entirely out of thin air. And those character designs look like idol show leftovers...not promising at all. Such wasted potential for another good figure skating anime (I was hoping YoI would start a trend, but it didn’t happen )
Sad

Not everything has to literally follow in the steps of Yuri on Ice. I know some people are already going to complain no matter what they do, period, simply because they've dared to make a skating show yet not catered to their very specific whims about what is allowed or not...but in my opinion it's actually nice that they're coming up with their own rules in the process.

There's already plenty of fictional or unrealistic sports anime (say, I grew up with Captain Tsubasa and that's not a grounded depiction of soccer), so I don't see why it's automatically a bad thing.

Note that I have no opinion about the quality of the show, because I haven't seen any of it. If I were making a random bet, this series won't be nearly as impactful as Yuri on Ice, but that doesn't mean the audience can't or won't have any fun watching it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:35 am Reply with quote
^ The really cynical part of me thinks they invented a new skating group sport because they didn’t want to include female characters in a meaningful way (because most ice performance/sports with artistic elements have mixed male/female couples), and that really, really bothers me. But you’re right that it’s premature to judge this before the first episode airs.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:27 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
^ The really cynical part of me thinks they invented a new skating group sport because they didn’t want to include female characters in a meaningful way (because most ice performance/sports with artistic elements have mixed male/female couples), and that really, really bothers me. But you’re right that it’s premature to judge this before the first episode airs.

It's probably got nothing to do with "not wanting to include meaningful female characters" and more to do with since they're taking a risk on the subject/concept of the show, they're trying to level that out by using the sports anime formula that effectively attracts female viewers.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:03 am Reply with quote
There hasn't even been a teaser yet, and people are already dropping this because it's not Yuri on Ice Rolling Eyes
Prince of Stride also had a fictional sport, and it was good nonetheless. Sure it wasn't a masterpiece, but it was fun and entertaining. So yeah, don't take the "sport" too seriously and just enjoy the pretty guys dancing around on ice.

As for me, I actually expected a different seiyuu cast, but you can't have everything Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Gonna give this a shot, might be fun to watch~
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Since this series hasn't come out yet, I don't want to be too hard on it, and I don't want to be too quick to compare it to Yuri on Ice, either. The character designs are nice, and that's already to be expected from Yana Toboso.

Still, I can't say I'm excited for it since it seems like some weird hybrid of male idols and figure skating. This at least seems to have more emphasis on the figure skating than King of Prism, which has figure skating elements but they barely matter since there's way more focus on the idol aspect. If they really wanted to do a figure skating anime while still keeping the sports team dynamic, they could have focused on synchronized skating...but oh, well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1