• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Delays Upcoming Promare, Children of the Sea Screenings

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
This is a bit misleading. GKIDS didn't have morals/dignity to postpone/"Delay" the screenings. The theaters all shut down for the time frame these were going to screen. GKIDS was FORCED to "Delay", they didn't do it by choice. They were willing to put the lives of their fans/customers at risk to make a few bucks rather than postpone earlier. We've known for at LEAST several weeks that this virus would be spreading for all of April and May at LEAST, with many experts saying things won't really be a lot better until July or August. And even worse, a leaked government document saying it's gonna be for up to 18 months (when we get a vaccine, basically). Every movie screening (yes, Heaven's Feel) should effectively be considered "post-poned" for now and re-instated when the time comes. It will NOT be safe to go to theaters any time soon.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I’m guessing this means the Made in Abyss movie screenings, which are in between when these two movies were scheduled, will also be delayed. I mean, unless the theaters open back up before April 13 or 15, they will have to delay it if they still want to screen it in theaters. The theater I bought the ticket from doesn’t seem to think they will be open again by then, considering they just gave me a refund.
OmegaE50

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:46 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I’m guessing this means the Made in Abyss movie screenings, which are in between when these two movies were scheduled, will also be delayed. I mean, unless the theaters open back up before April 13 or 15, they will have to delay it if they still want to screen it in theaters. The theater I bought the ticket from doesn’t seem to think they will be open again by then, considering they just gave me a refund.
Depending on how much worse this pandemic gets It could be a couple of months or up to a year
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:27 am Reply with quote
The Promare screening they might as well just cancel because it's coming out on BD in another month or so anyway and by the time they could release it in theaters again, everyone will already own it.

Quote:
This is a bit misleading. GKIDS didn't have morals/dignity to postpone/"Delay" the screenings. The theaters all shut down for the time frame these were going to screen. GKIDS was FORCED to "Delay", they didn't do it by choice. They were willing to put the lives of their fans/customers at risk to make a few bucks rather than postpone earlier.
That's being a bit unfair in singling out GKids' motives when just about every other business and convention cancellation has been exactly the same. The theater chains didn't close down out of moral obligation purity either but because so many states ordered statewide lockdowns and so many companies were delaying their films.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:31 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Depends on how bad this gets. I'm thinking about going ahead and getting my refund though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1