• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Shodown Game Launches for PC in Spring

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:22 am Reply with quote
was thinking holy crap awesome before I saw "Epic Store" release. I HATE Epic trying to take away from Steam not because of some consumer loyalty, but the sheer inconvenience considering Steam's historical presence. You're pretty much going to another platform for no reason to play a game than it all being connected. Why?
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
was thinking holy crap awesome before I saw "Epic Store" release. I HATE Epic trying to take away from Steam not because of some consumer loyalty, but the sheer inconvenience considering Steam's historical presence. You're pretty much going to another platform for no reason to play a game than it all being connected. Why?

How is that any different than turning on your Switch instead of your PS4?
omegafinal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

How is that any different than turning on your Switch instead of your PS4?

From an availability standpoint, at least on console, there's that separation cause by dedicated hardware handled by their respective companies. On PC, aside from first party titles, or third parties that they pumped money into, why should there by that kind of separation behind storefronts? You're still playing it on a PC, let the audience choose. Interestingly, something like Stadia is different from the backend from what I know (gotta take into account streaming to smartphones, tablets, etc).

Also there is an online component. Just because you're on PC, doesn't mean you can simply play with other PC players. You'll be separated by the storefront's respective online services. So unless SNK does crossplay between the two like what Borderlands 3 is doing, yeah.
Slashman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
So I'm guessing that's an exclusivity period of one year as per the usual that Epic pays for.

God I'm so tired of everything being epic these days.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
So I'm guessing that's an exclusivity period of one year as per the usual that Epic pays for.

God I'm so tired of everything being epic these days.

Depends, could be shorter, which I'm hoping. In terms of the timing between the releases from Epic to Steam, Borderlands 3 was about six months, while Red Dead Redemption II (albeit a port of an already year old game) was only a month.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I dunno about you, but I find it dangerous to have everything on one platform, in case something happened to that platform. If something happened to Steam a lot of people would lose access to all of their games, while those of us who differentiate their games between platforms, while also losing access to their games on Steam, will still have games to play from other platforms Wink Just saying.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:33 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

I think Steam and it's subscribers will get by just fine. Really don't know why people seem to be in the habit of making Steam and it's customers come off as some aggrieved party because Epic gets exclusive release rights to some games.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
I dunno about you, but I find it dangerous to have everything on one platform, in case something happened to that platform. If something happened to Steam a lot of people would lose access to all of their games, while those of us who differentiate their games between platforms, while also losing access to their games on Steam, will still have games to play from other platforms Wink Just saying.

I'm old enough to remember when people hated Steam because having your games tired to a service and not just a disk and CD-key was a pain. I still do. Main reason I don't play on PC much anymore, or if I do it's through DRM-free options not tied to any launcher program.
There's literally no difference in Steam or Epic or any other launcher. If you get banned from it, you lose your library. The only reason I have a Steam account is because Shadowverse requires it. It's the only game in my library, and it's annoying how your payment has to go through Steam as well.

If you stream anime on multiple services, this shouldn't bother you.
peno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I am that kind of oldfashioned gamer too, who prefer to actually own games as oppose to have them on some service that may do anything they wish with your purchases. Sadly, most of the time these days, you don't have a choice, so I at least do anything I can to not have everything on one service. Though if there is option for DRM-free version, I'll gladly go with it, even if it was more expensive. It's the same as why I still prefer to own Blu-Ray discs if possible then being at mercy of streaming services, who may delete the content I watch every time they wish. Sadly, being oldfashioned is not going well with today trends. But I am getting offtopic here, so I better end.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:21 am Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, Epic Games tried to push for this game being a timed exclusive screwing not just Steam but PS4 & Xbone as well and SNK at the time refused so what made them change their minds this late in the game's run?

3/26 EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugyu9rRb3em7h3IDW694AaABCQ

Guess I got my answer, apparently it had to do with SNK Heroines bombing on Steam due to lack of promotion on Valve's part. The game sold lower on there than it did on PS4 & Switch (300,000+ copies).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1