• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Olympics Announce July 2021 Opening

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad there's still an Olympics going on, even though it's now just one year away due to COVID-19. Had they cancelled, that would have been a MASSIVE blow to Japan's economy.

Thanks Xi for making everyone around the globe so miserable. Seriously, the CCP needs a more competent leader.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:48 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I'm just glad there's still an Olympics going on, even though it's now just one year away due to COVID-19. Had they cancelled, that would have been a MASSIVE blow to Japan's economy.

Thanks Xi for making everyone around the globe so miserable. Seriously, the CCP needs a more competent leader.

It's still gonna be a massive blow, just to a lesser agree.

Blaming Xi for this is ignorant. A lot of experts have theorized that it had already spread to other countries before China even knew about it. Did they make it worse? Probably. But it's impossible to know to what degree. Keep in mind most cases show no symptoms so it's extremely likely it had been spread a bit before anyone noticed.

Lastly, "so miserable" is putting it EXTREMELY lightly and honestly downplays the severity of the situation. THOUSANDS have died already, and we're still at the very beginning of this. This is far worse than just "miserable". The Olympics, even if completely canceled mean nothing compared to the lives already lost. The economy can always be fixed. Lives cannot be brought back.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:21 am Reply with quote
Will these be the most expensive ones ever? You would need to be mad to commit an Olympics on your country yet they roll on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bXJGZgR1BU
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

I will be very frank: the delay itself is already a massive blow to Japan’s economy, we are talking about billions of dollars in terms of loss, and additional interest Japan has to pay for loan interests
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:07 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I will be very frank: the delay itself is already a massive blow to Japan’s economy, we are talking about billions of dollars in terms of loss, and additional interest Japan has to pay for loan interests

Well, it's better than not having any games at all. You just can't risk taking so many people from all over the world and basically throwing them in a blender with whatever viruses and then send them back when it's over. Postponing to next year versus cancelling was a no brainer.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Just hope everything will be alright all over from this virus by then.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will delay all future Olympics by 1 year further than they would have been or if the next one will be 3 years after this one instead of 4...
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Blaming Xi for this is ignorant. A lot of experts have theorized that it had already spread to other countries before China even knew about it. Did they make it worse? Probably. But it's impossible to know to what degree. Keep in mind most cases show no symptoms so it's extremely likely it had been spread a bit before anyone noticed.

Lastly, "so miserable" is putting it EXTREMELY lightly and honestly downplays the severity of the situation. THOUSANDS have died already, and we're still at the very beginning of this. This is far worse than just "miserable". The Olympics, even if completely canceled mean nothing compared to the lives already lost. The economy can always be fixed. Lives cannot be brought back.

Here's what I mean in context...

I actually feel sorry for Xi, but he worsened the situation he was in for sure. I'd be having nightmares about this for weeks if I were a world leader right now.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:47 pm Reply with quote
While China could do more to prevent spread of the virus, WHO is the main culprit for me. For weeks WHO denied the severity of the situation, partially to not enrage Chinese leaders. I believe if WHO did not hesitate to point out how serious the situation is and act accordingly, we may not be in this situation at all. I know it's easy to blame someone now, but even back in February I saw WHO's proclamations in media that it's not pandemic and how Chinese government is doing their best to stop it in a very bad taste. And that, IMO, the biggest part of why we are where we are right now. And it's sad to state this, but the main organisation that should care about healthy of everyone in the world, only cared about what's good for China instead and left the rest of the world behind. I hope once this is taken care of, there will be big changes in WHO's structures or we may be in this s*** again in future with something else.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:19 am Reply with quote
The Chinese Communist government knew where the SARS virus originated from. They banned the wild animal meat markets that cater to the rich. But then they let things go back to normal. The CORONA virus comes from the same place, another wild animal meat market. These meat markets for the rich are completely unsanitary and are basically virus factories.

So the Chinese Communist government (not the people) bear some responsibility. I am sure they didn't want this to happen either.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The Chinese Communist government knew where the SARS virus originated from. They banned the wild animal meat markets that cater to the rich. But then they let things go back to normal. The CORONA virus comes from the same place, another wild animal meat market. These meat markets for the rich are completely unsanitary and are basically virus factories.

So the Chinese Communist government (not the people) bear some responsibility. I am sure they didn't want this to happen either.

My point exactly. Personal story, my family and I actually went to Wuhan when I was 14 (my father did a lot of business there around that time). Not only did we see these markets close up, but my mom caught Dengue Fever, and we were pulled over at gunpoint by the Red Army.
simona.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quote
they're still gonna kill people by heatstroke.
should have rescheduled in a more bearable time of the year, even though it's kinda difficult to dodge all other big sports events. not impressed.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote
simona.com wrote:
should have rescheduled in a more bearable time of the year, even though it's kinda difficult to dodge all other big sports events. not impressed.

What else were they gonna do? Like I said, you can't risk getting people all over the world getting sick. As much as I hate the fact that they delayed the games, they (at least in my opinion) made the right call.
simona.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
simona.com wrote:

What else were they gonna do? Like I said, you can't risk getting people all over the world getting sick. As much as I hate the fact that they delayed the games, they (at least in my opinion) made the right call.

I'm saying they shouldn't do them in the summer.
If it was for me I wouldn't even let them do them in Japan to begin with, with Fukushima still a mess and the very real possibilty of a vast-scale earthquake disaster at anytime.
Postponing [like they did] was the least they could and should do. but NOT in the summer.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
simona.com wrote:

I'm saying they shouldn't do them in the summer.
If it was for me I wouldn't even let them do them in Japan to begin with, with Fukushima still a mess and the very real possibilty of a vast-scale earthquake disaster at anytime.
Postponing [like they did] was the least they could and should do. but NOT in the summer.

We are all counting down for the big one to hit California, and the Bay area and Southern California get swept out into the Pacific Ocean.

The West Coast has several volcanoes.

Lets not forget about the super volcano caldera at Yellowstone.

No Olympics for the U.S. either, just too dangerous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2