• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gleipnir

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Started reading the translated manga first. Looking forward to the anime, glad the reviewer liked it.
scowler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I have read the manga, but wasn't expecting too much from this adaptation. I was thinking it could even be another King's Game.

So, yeah, the first few episodes have been vastly better than expectation. The episode 2 scene, where the zipper finally comes undone, was near perfectly framed and executed.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At three episodes in, the proverbial magic number when it comes to giving new series a fair shot, Gleipnir has barley concerned itself with the details of this game, or whether or not it can be considered a “game” at all.

Sips the lemon barley water with barely a slurp.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Meat Mecha is my new favorite genre of mecha.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's like David Cronenberg saw Evangelion and decided to make Asuka pilot Shinji.

Give Mr. Jones anything he wants. He earned it.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The show definitely has a hook, and the production is great, and as far as the fanservice goes... at least the majority of it doesn't feel 'lazy.' Fits thematically where it makes some sense. Despite it all, the story is pretty compelling, and doesn't shy away from brazenly killing a fool. The character drama is strong enough that I don't mind if the world building subtly takes its time. I'm committed to this crazy ride!
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I hope the show can keep being weird, crazy, sometimes moving and surprisingly interesting for the rest of the episodes, because I really liked this arc despite this being the "guilty pleasure" type of show. I hope the Mifune (the short one with lots of hair and bushy eyebrows) won't die horribly in the future, because she's sweet and this doesn't seem to be a good series for her to be in. Clair is really fun character, I'm usually not the fun of yanderes but she makes it work, by being really loyal to Shuichi once she took his fursuit virginity (sure she kicked him of the roof, and he almost raped her once, but what's that between BFFs that get really hot and sticky inside each other), and somehow being the saner one compared to her stalker sister and probably many more future characters from opening.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Wait, when was it said Clair tried to commit suicide? I thought that was an outright lie as it doesn't match the character or the chain of events Shuichi found her in.

Anyways, the series is keeping my interest with a bare thread at this point as the whole "my manga is derivative because Mr Alien knows manga" explanation is a little too twee for my tastes, though the whole "must collect x number of y out of z" aspect of it is just awful. I'm getting flashbacks to Inuyasha's jewel shards and my naive thinking of "I can't wait until they get all those things so we can move on to a real story".

Coins of interdeterminable nature and unknowable number, yay. Most stories keeps macguffins to one, I don't know why manga...

Serialization. I hate this series.
Wow, that was fast.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Wait, when was it said Clair tried to commit suicide? I thought that was an outright lie as it doesn't match the character or the chain of events Shuichi found her in.

I haven't watched the anime yet but in the manga that's established in the first chapter. spoiler[Clair set the storage building on fire intending to kill herself but ended up being rescued by Shuichi instead.]
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:52 am Reply with quote
Dr.N0 wrote:
Quote:
It's like David Cronenberg saw Evangelion and decided to make Asuka pilot Shinji.

Give Mr. Jones anything he wants. He earned it.

Agreed. I just about spat my drink over the keyboard when i read that.

This is the most wildly weird and sexual charged grossness of a series i have ever seen. Its like anime in its most concentrated form; weird ideas, cool animation and a lot of fanservice.

Yet somehow its enthralling each and every week.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I've seen and fired many many many different revolvers from vintage to modern, but I've never once seen a revolver that big. Either that's the biggest most impractical handcannon ever made, or that chick is the size of a toddler. Either way, her wrists will break and that gun is going right into her face the moment she pulls the trigger.
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:36 pm Reply with quote
The "battle royale" genre died years ago with crap like Big Order and Ousama Game, but now it looks to be revitalized with Glepnir. The first five episodes were really a pleasure to watch. The setting is appealing, the characters are relatable, the animation and battle choreography looks gorgeous, and while the plot may not be the most creative or mind-blowing, it is executed with enough flair to hook me into the series completely.

I picked the series up at the start of the season hoping to find something to watch while I can keep my brain turned off, and it turned out to be quite the pleasant surprise. If it does keep up its quality, this may be AOTS.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
I've seen and fired many many many different revolvers from vintage to modern, but I've never once seen a revolver that big. Either that's the biggest most impractical handcannon ever made, or that chick is the size of a toddler. Either way, her wrists will break and that gun is going right into her face the moment she pulls the trigger.

...THAT'S the part that you find unrealistic??
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:08 am Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:

The show, in fact, acknowledges this. Are you watching it?
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:09 am Reply with quote
Mr Manly Macho Man's question about Shuichi and Clair's relationship and Shuichi's simple and correct explanation is one of the highlights of the show. I can only imagine the unasked further questions that appeared in his head. "Ah, so kids these days are into this...?"

Quote:
Either that's the biggest most impractical handcannon ever made

It is part of the costume of a plush toy that is scaled up to size big enough for human to fit inside, why wouldn't it be big and impractical for a human? And, like previous poster mentioned, it was acknowledged that Clair would be killed or seriously maimed if she pulled the trigger, that was part of why MachoMan acknowledged them as winners, as they both wanted to sacrifice themselves for each other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4