• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki's Next Ghibli Film Has 36 Minutes Completed Despite COVID-19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qulex

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Suzuki noted that the film is a "big, fantastical story" that will take more time because the staff is drawing everything by hand.

Is this supposed to be a big revelation or am I misunderstanding something? Majority of the industry's animators still draw on paper and those who draw on tablets still use their hands. (props to whoever mannaged to learn how draw with their feet, jk lol)
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Qulex wrote:
Quote:
Suzuki noted that the film is a "big, fantastical story" that will take more time because the staff is drawing everything by hand.

Is this supposed to be a big revelation or am I misunderstanding something? Majority of the industry's animators still draw on paper and those who draw on tablets still use their hands. (props to whoever mannaged to learn how draw with their feet, jk lol)

When Toshio Suzuki also noted in 2017 that Hayao Miyazaki's next film is hand-drawn, he was contrasting that with Goro Miyazaki's next CG work. Goro Miyazaki's CG works, like Ronja the Robber's Daughter, have been cel-shaded computer animation.
Qulex

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Qulex wrote:
Quote:

When Toshio Suzuki also noted in 2017 that Hayao Miyazaki's next film is hand-drawn, he was contrasting that with Goro Miyazaki's next CG work. Goro Miyazaki's CG works, like Ronja the Robber's Daughter, have been cel-shaded computer animation.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm in the vast minority on this, but I'm anticipating Goro's new work more so than his father's. Goro's titles are underrated gems in my opinion (especially Earthsea) and what imperfections they have are part of what make them interesting, and it's been a while since Ronja I was kind of afraid he quietly retired. Also, did Suzuki say Goro's new movie was also a Ghibli title? That's interesting, because from one of the Ronja blu-ray featurettes I thought I remembered Goro saying he could never go back to the studio again.

Last edited by pachy_boy on Wed May 13, 2020 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
WeebRunningWild

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Suzuki teased that the film is "based on a book or story from England... about a very wise girl."

Hmm? I wonder what book/story that could be referring to
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
WeebRunningWild wrote:
Quote:
Suzuki teased that the film is "based on a book or story from England... about a very wise girl."

Hmm? I wonder what book/story that could be referring to

OMG, could this be Joan Aiken’s book!!
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Qulex wrote:
Quote:

I guess you could add to that in the fact that there are shortcuts in this day and age, like using the CG elements and even shortcuts when drawing on tablet, so it could be that this is done in a very traditional manner vs using modern technology. I could be wrong though, just when I hear "drawing by hand" it makes me think its more the traditional way.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
This warhorse will live to be 100. Those cigarettes he smokes must have the spice of life in them.

Ghibli has been drawing digitally for 2 decades. My Neighbors the Yamadas 1999 was completely drawn with PCs for example but I hope that his next one is top to bottom CG just to be different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:44 am Reply with quote
I just hope the animators are staying safe during this time with the pandemic but I worry about it given some of the past criticisms of Ghibli's harsh work ethic. When almost everyone else in the anime industry has shut down during this time, it doesn't feel right to me that Ghibli is still working on this.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:04 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Ghibli has been drawing digitally for 2 decades. My Neighbors the Yamadas 1999 was completely drawn with PCs for example but I hope that his next one is top to bottom CG just to be different.

Just to clarify. My neighbors the Yamadas was still animated traditionally by hand on paper, but unlike all Ghibli movies before it, it was the first movie done entirely in digi-paint, so no cels & cel-paint anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kanyder

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:06 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I just hope the animators are staying safe during this time with the pandemic but I worry about it given some of the past criticisms of Ghibli's harsh work ethic. When almost everyone else in the anime industry has shut down during this time, it doesn't feel right to me that Ghibli is still working on this.

I'm not surprised at all. This was his reaction after the earthquake followed by a tsunami that hit Japan at the 11th of March in 2011:

https://youtu.be/Ucn8T6MxNIY?t=2405
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:51 pm Reply with quote
kanyder wrote:

I'm not surprised at all. This was his reaction after the earthquake followed by a tsunami that hit Japan at the 11th of March in 2011:

https://youtu.be/Ucn8T6MxNIY?t=2405
It seems a contradiction for Ghibli that they closed the museum out of safety concerns and even released background Zoom art for stay at home workers but apparently are still putting their own animators to work during a pandemic when virtually the rest of the industry has shut down. And that clip is rather dismaying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1