• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why Kaguya-sama is a Pitch-Perfect Romcom

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
It's really hard reading this conversation as a manga reader because the impulse to go "Well, later in the manga..." is so powerful. What I will say is that the adaptation is pitch perfect and I hope to the powers above they don't stop at just a season 2.
SuperRed

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:33 am Reply with quote
"Ishigami is still the worst"

"Chika is the best character"

Ah the anime only fans, you gotta love them.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:15 am Reply with quote
SuperRed wrote:
"Ishigami is still the worst"

"Chika is the best character"

Ah the anime only fans, you gotta love them.

I understand the first, but even anime-only fans should know the second isn't true.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
And don't worry, Ishigami fans (I'm assuming there have to be some)

I know the writers here don't like Ishigami, but they are aware that he's one of the most popular characters in the series, right?
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know the writers here don't like Ishigami, but they are aware that he's one of the most popular characters in the series, right?

At this point in the anime, Ishigami looks like a mirror of Chika. Where she is an overly bubbly girl who looks like a near perfect waifu on the surface, you see some glimpses beneath the mask. He comes across as a morose, hates the world shut-in, and we haven't really seen beneath his mask very much - the first meaningful crack in it only appeared in the last episode. Currently in the anime Ishigami is that type of character you love to watch in a show but would hate to actually know in real life - the reasons he is the way he is have yet to be revealed, and since we don't get any inner monologue, flashbacks into his past, or view of his family life (at least not yet) we don't have the insight we do into Miyuki or Kaguya - the latter of whom comes across as a terrible person herself if all we have to go on is her outward persona. But with her we see why she has to wear that mask and what she is really like underneath it. We don't have that for Ishigami yet, so an anime watcher only has what they have seen.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I see those descriptions being about the type of character they are, not a ranking of favoritism or greatness... well, maybe Chika is a little favoritism.

Ishigami is worst because he is a combination of hilariously bad traits and pessimism. Chika is best because she's a great trigger for action or comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I should re-read the manga. When I started reading it, the next three or four arcs were already over so I don't know whether the anime is very slow with his characterization and the manga actually made him fully sympathetic much sooner; or reading so much at once made events blend together.
#ourboy deserves better! spoiler[He might be full of cynicism and 4-chan tier outbursts, but he's probably the softest and most considerate character in the cast] Plus being Fujiwara's foil through sheer honesty is always fun to watch.

Quote:
Stretch her face out and she'll be a Hidamari Sketch character, with the dearth of brain cells that entails.

RUDE! Nori actually had a lot of brain cells! Like 50 of them!

Quote:
I also love the way her voice somehow goes up a full octave in Moron Mode.

The official term is Bakaguya.
leongsh

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:25 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think manga readers should just make archives of this post and prepare the plate and utensils for them to eat their words. Probably have some choice sauces at hand too.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:42 am Reply with quote
Kind of ironic how this discussion comes up now, considering the latest Kaguya manga chapter...
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:31 pm Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
LastPage 3 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think manga readers should just make archives of this post and prepare the plate and utensils for them to eat their words. Probably have some choice sauces at hand too.

I fully expect this season to cover the Sports Festival, and watching reactions of the people who say things like "Ishigami is a creepy Joker gremlin" is going to be like sipping the finest wine ever made.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:06 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Kind of ironic how this discussion comes up now, considering the latest Kaguya manga chapter...

I feel like this after virtually anything people post online about something that happens in season two. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1