• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Actions Speak Louder than Words #BlackLivesMatter

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Winston C'thulhu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:44 pm Reply with quote
[Moderator's Note: The editorial this discussion thread relates to is semi-political in nature, and therefore reasonable discussion about related topics will be permitted. Disagreement with the editorial will be permitted. Disagreement with each other will be permitted. Rudeness will not be permitted. Hateful and violent speech will not be tolerated. Ad-Hominem attacks will not be tolerated. Anyone breaking the above rules, regarless of what side of the arguement they are on will have their posts deleted and may be put on moderation or banned without any additional warning. Circular arguement is also highly discouraged.

-t
]

I've donated, and as much as I would like to join the protests in person, our lovely dipshit governor Ron DeSantis - and chief Trump asshole sniffer - is making it more and more difficult with ridiculous curfews and insanely aggressive, over-militarized police.

F**k Florida to death.

In somewhat related news, it's incredibly encouraging to find companies - anime and gaming - taking a hardline stance here to support the protests, movements, and condemn racism and what Trump represents. Even outside those circles, it's been bigger and bigger. I just caught an statement by Bad Robot and J.J. Abrams donated ten million dollars to Black Lives Matter. That's like......holy shit. I don't care if you love or hate Episode IX lol. You have to respect the man for that.

Unfortunately, you can't say the same for the various fansites.

Blizzard has already announced their support, yet Hearthpwn is not only silent in pledging themselves behind the company they are a fansite of, but are actively deleting posts on the forums in support of this and even banning some people. Other sites are condemning discussing the topic outright because "they don't want to get political."

There's jack shit that's "political" here: You either support racism and violence against black people, or you condemn it. You stand behind evil, or you don't.

Stuff like that needs to be called out.

Anyway, kudos to Anime News Network and all its staff. Stay safe and stay vigilant!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Christopher Macdonald―
Kudos to you, sir; kudos to you!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Thank you ANN for doing this.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:57 pm Reply with quote
No one dislikes the reform of the police force, but I personally don't like the Black Lives Matter organization because they want to defund the police, the consequences of which are pretty obvious to me. I've lived in monorace third world countries, so trust me when I say this. If you render the police inept due to lack of funds, you won't have a society without policing. You'll have a society where gangs do the policing instead. The police is corrupt, but you're naive if you think that there aren't worse groups that will seize power when the police is gone. There has to be a middle ground between letting the police stay as they are or completely removing the organization.

If anything, more funds will flow into the police force in the name of quelling future violent riots, so things like looting and arson are completely contradictory with the groups goals. Only peaceful protests are being helpful, but the impact of the peaceful protests are being drowned out by the effects of some of the riots (which ironically have lead to the death of black lives). Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. condemned violent riots for a reason.

Last edited by encrypted12345 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sir Winston C'thulhu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
No one dislikes the reform of the police force, but I personally don't like the Black Lives Matter organization because they want to defund the police

Do you know what the police doesn't need?

[img]https://miro.medium.com/max/2400/0*tfoX2HDCQ3ORr7bQ.[/img]

F*** them. Defund the shit out of them because they don't need this crap.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely, which is why I contacted my local Delegate and State Senator and urged them to reconsider the foolish legalization of police collective bargaining that the new Virginia General Assembly Democratic majority passed earlier this year, to take effect next year. Speaking of Florida, court led collective bargaining rights granted to sheriff's deputies in 2003 is the basis for one of several research papers that all agree - collective bargaining rights for police lead to greater violence against blacks and Hispanics, and a measurable and significant increase in deaths caused by police. There are a number of other proven policies that can reduce police violence and have been successfully implemented, such as in Newark when the entire department was dissolved.

Police violence (like other violence) is down in the last twenty and thirty years, but still far too high. There are actionable policies that can address it, more than just words. The cops who murdered George Floyd had many existing complaints, as does the entire despicable leadership of the Minneapolis police union. The police must be subordinate to the elected local officials. Regular policing is done by municipal level police; the local municipal authorities need to be able to punish violent cops, and in the areas with the worst violence, the local officials are progressive enough that you should trust them much more than the police or state and federal officials to do the right thing.

Blaming the Feds is an understandable temptation, but the poor Federal decisions are mostly the 1033 program that transfers surplus military gear to police, equitable sharing of forfeiture, and of course the current Administration not having the DoJ perform as much oversight. But local progressive officials run these cities; they should have the power to run their police and not just expect the FBI and DoJ to do it.

Georgia does not have police collective bargaining, and while Atlanta has had its share of problems in the last few days with out of control cops, the Mayor has swiftly fired the cops responsible and charged them with their crimes, unlike what happens in other states.

Some people are concerned because they feel that making an exception for police unions would weaken teachers unions and other local government employee unions. That reveals what those people think Matter more than Black Lives.
Sir Winston C'thulhu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
but the impact of the peaceful protests are being drowned out by the effects of some of the riots (which ironically have lead to the death of black lives).

DC protestors were peaceful.

Then got tear-gassed because Diapers in Chief wanted to do a disgusting, shallow ass photo-op.

Tampa protestors were peaceful. Then got arrested and beaten en masse. Before the riots. Now the curfews and blockages are so tight you can't even protest.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Sir Winston C'thulhu wrote:

Now the curfews and blockages are so tight you can't even protest.

And why is that? Exactly, the riots. The police's treatment of peaceful protesters has been heinous, but you can't convince anyone while rioters are killing unrelated people, looting unrelated stores, or burning unrelated buildings. Some of the peaceful protesters tried to stop the violent people, but sadly, not enough did and now we have this mess. If you think things are bad now, the National Guard being federalized will lead to more insanity. It's an absolute last resort that the president has the complete right to do, but the results are not going to be pretty.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Good on ANN for putting this out, and thank you. Reading the replies to statements made by The Pokemon Company, Eleven Arts, Funimation, etc... is disheartening to say the least.

I'm looking forward to those upcoming articles/features/interviews in the coming weeks! I know on the dubbing front, casting POC (particularly black) voice actors in notable anime roles is only just starting to improve, with certain companies and ADR directors (shout out to Caitlin Glass) making more strides than others. I still remember being surprised that Chise in The Ancient Magus Bride was voiced by a black actress or that Astra Lost in Space's dub had multiple black voice actors playing main characters of different ethnicities. The fact that those casting decisions were surprising to me is sad and evident that there are more improvements to be made.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Anyone curious why the article says "I will donate" as opposed to "I have donated," it's because the PayPal interface on BlacklivesMatter.ca for some reason defaults to USD (for me at least), and I want to make the donation in CAD. PayPal has horrible foreign exchange rates and I don't want them taking $100 out of the donation. So I e-mailed BlacklivesMatter.ca, asking for a directions, and will make the donation as soon as they get back to me.
Sir Winston C'thulhu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Anyone curious why the article says "I will donate" as opposed to "I have donated," it's because the PayPal interface on BlacklivesMatter.ca for some reason defaults to USD (for me at least), and I want to make the donation in CAD. PayPal has horrible foreign exchange rates and I don't want them taking $100 out of the donation. So I e-mailed BlacklivesMatter.ca, asking for a directions, and will make the donation as soon as they get back to me.

Doesn't BLM have their own official Go Fund Me? Have you tried that way? I don't know about Canada, but I'm positive they at least have one in the US and the UK.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Actions like these are some of the reasons why I love ANN. Thank you for standing up and speaking out, it warms my heart in these uncertain times. Kudos to Square Enix, The Pokemon Company, and all the other companies and organizations speaking too.

BLM.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
The death of George Floyd is a tragedy and I applaud organizations out there who are doing more than simply putting out a hastily twitter post.

One thing I don't quite understand about these protests is that we are in the midst of a global pandemic - a pandemic that has shown to disproportionately affect minority groups - and during this time we've all been told to follow strict social distancing and lockdown guidelines in order to protect our health services and to save lives. I can't help but think these protests are irresponsible given the current circumstances the world finds itself in.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
The death of George Floyd is a tragedy and I applaud organizations out there who are doing more than simply putting out a hastily twitter post.

One thing I don't quite understand about these protests is that we are in the midst of a global pandemic - a pandemic that has shown to disproportionately affect minority groups - and during this time we've all been told to follow strict social distancing and lockdown guidelines in order to protect our health services and to save lives. I can't help but think these protests are irresponsible given the current circumstances the world finds itself in.

Generally, most people protesting are handwaving that responsibility away by saying that the issue of racism is more important. To be fair, the pandemic is already starting to calm down even if it's not completely gone, and civil rights are an issue worth fighting for even at the risk of lives. Well, the lack of social distancing is pretty low on my list of qualms with the current situation, though I certainly hope that there isn't a resurgence of Covid-19 in the US because of all of this.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:38 am Reply with quote
Here's a link that came my way.....
The below-linked article is mandatory reading for anyone thinking that this is strictly a law-and-order issue.
There isn’t a simple story about looting
The question you have to ask yourself is: Why are there so many people in our society who don’t have a lot to lose?” says sociologist Darnell Hunt.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13