• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maison Ikkoku Collector's Edition Volume 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review. Definitely sounds worth picking up though I worry if the translation is too "Westernized" and not literal enough as many simulcast translations have been lately.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Do they still call VCRs DVD players in the translation?
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Thanks for the review. Definitely sounds worth picking up though I worry if the translation is too "Westernized" and not literal enough as many simulcast translations have been lately.

What do you consider "too Westernized"? Making onigiri "jelly donuts"? Scrubbing out cultural references? Rewriting puns so they match English idioms?
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh man-this brings back memories! Maison Ikkoku (The House Of One Moment) was (and still is) #1 on my list of all time favorite anime series. For me the appeal of the series is the fact that it is a universal love story and of all Takahashi's creations Godai and Kyoko are her best by far. I think my favorite scene in the whole series is the very end where Godai and Kyoko bring their newborn daughter Haruka back to Maison Ikkoku "where it all started". It's one of the very few series where I bothered to read the manga it was based on, the anime follows the manga pretty faithfully for the most part.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it's time to buy my fifth set of this manga!
one.night.bkk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Did Viz send out pre-release copies? Because we're still three months away from the regular consumer release as far as I can tell...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
The release was pushed back! You'll be able to pick up your copy in September (although pre-orders are probably open)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Slightly off topic, but just wondering if the anime covers the whole story?
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Oh yes, with a lot of filler content as well.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
the anime of this is legitimately impossible to find in good format outside of evil means like Urusei Yatsura. So maybe they'll work on that
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Oh yes, with a lot of filler content as well.

Really? As far as I remember, only about 5 episodes out of 90+ are original to the anime (and I rather liked them, since they provided a bit more development for side characters suchas Akemi and Yotsuya). i think the anime is actually shorter than the manga, since they dropped the rather superfluous character or Nozomu Nikaido, who eats up much of volume 8 and then is never seen again. That's the advantage of doing an anime adaptation when the manga's nearly finished.

Also, let me stick up for Yotsuya, who is one of my favorite characters ever: he's only a sexual creeper in the first chapters, when the characters are still being defined. Later on he's more of an agent of chaos, like a domestic, non-violent version of The Joker.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
At the time when they were both being released I could only afford to buy the manga or anime so I bought the manga. But I do hope the anime is relicsnsed one day. The manga is still a favorite of mine.

I’ve been on the fence about buying the collector editions of the manga. I still have the old Viz release. It would be nice to get these nicer editions though. If they comes out digitally on Kindle I may get that. Lack of space makes it hard to to buy stuff in print.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:17 pm Reply with quote
That's what it seemed like from what I found, so thanks for the confirmation and additional info all-tsun-and-no-dere & Eigengrau Smile
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I have the "2nd Edition" volumes that Viz released a few years ago. Beyond the translation and cover art, are there any CONTENT differences, such as previously unreleased chapters? I'm debating on whether or not to pick-up the new version...
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:39 am Reply with quote
I had no idea it was delayed! I would of sworn that I saw it slated for next week as recent as last week. I was so excited to order a copy in a couple weeks that I'm really disappointed now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2