• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mangamo Manga Subscription App to Launch Japan Sinks 2020 Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The app launched in the U.S. and Canada on April 15 for iOS devices. A subscription costs US$4.99 per month.

They're really not going to make much progress on reducing piracy if they keep narrowing official access that much. It would be one thing if what they have could be procured elsewhere, but a lot of their titles are exclusive.

Try guess where I will be reading this...
ZestyLime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
Still no way to view their catalog without downloading the app, still no Android version.

Last edited by ZestyLime on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kpossibles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
ZestyLime wrote:
Still way to view their catalog without downloading the app, still no Android version.

They can't load manga pages in the app or have a functioning search bar on iOS only app so they're def not ready for an Android app with that amount of traffic. Chapters take at least a minute to load on the iPad app so I'm concerned that it is a project that won't even last a year after launch. They've has 2 months to fix these issues and the only change that I've seen is that they added padding to the bottom navigation bar in the app.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
I had the free trial for 60 days, but I cancelled it before I got charged the $5. The few manga I was following hadn't been updated it over a month, Attack on Titan/Fire Force still had a measly preview amount of chapters, stuff was being deleted, and just a not good app. There were a couple titles I really had fun with. But after the initial 4-5 chapters were added at launch, they were never updated. Maybe they shouldn't have launched so many titles at once if they didn't at least have like bi-weekly release schedule for everything that's not caught up with Japan.
kpossibles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I had the free trial for 60 days, but I cancelled it before I got charged the $5. The few manga I was following hadn't been updated it over a month, Attack on Titan/Fire Force still had a measly preview amount of chapters, stuff was being deleted, and just a not good app. There were a couple titles I really had fun with. But after the initial 4-5 chapters were added at launch, they were never updated. Maybe they shouldn't have launched so many titles at once if they didn't at least have like bi-weekly release schedule for everything that's not caught up with Japan.

Since I last commented, I actually checked out the Mangamo app and they added a bunch of Kodansha series and kinda updated their app Razz

Chapters now load pages within 10 seconds, but certain series like Ajin had the pages uploaded in a random order, so there's still much to be improved. The browse section now has all of their series by default in alphabetical order, but there's still no search bar.

I would get it to try a few Kodansha series before buying them and to support Kanojo ni Naritai Kimi to Boku (English: I Wanna Be Your Girl) a story about a trans girl and her best friend who's secretly in love with her. https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/i-wanna-be-your-girl
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote
kpossibles wrote:
Since I last commented, I actually checked out the Mangamo app and they added a bunch of Kodansha series and kinda updated their app Razz

Chapters now load pages within 10 seconds, but certain series like Ajin had the pages uploaded in a random order, so there's still much to be improved. The browse section now has all of their series by default in alphabetical order, but there's still no search bar.

I just checked and huh, they added up to chapter 36 for Attack on Titan. Doesn't really help though, since I want to read beyond where the anime last ended (in ch 90-something). Fire Force and Alita still have a pitiful amount of chapters, and all of the series I was following still have not been updated in over a month. I'll pay when they have a decent catalog and a semi-consistent upload schedule.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1