• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Aggretsuko's Heavy Metal World Gets Dark

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTM108

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I knew there was no way that you guys could get through this article without supporting the “Screw you, capitalism!” song. Capitalism sucks, brought to you by Sanrio.

You should have touched on the fact that through capitalistic character traits like hard work and ingenuity, Retsuko is able to push herself to succeed and find happiness as the new accounting manager of the group.

Great season for the show as always, but that song was hypocritical and a really immature attempt at being cool.
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
DTM108 wrote:
You should have touched on the fact that through capitalistic character traits like hard work and ingenuity, Retsuko is able to push herself to succeed and find happiness as the new accounting manager of the group.

Because "hard work and ingenuity" are exclusive to capitalism and not brand slogans to cover up for priviledge and exploitation.
I'm glad that the show isn't so far its own ass to activelly propose a solution to all of this issues, because that would require Retsuko to stop being an active disaster, and that would make the show far less interesting
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:49 pm Reply with quote
DTM108 wrote:
Capitalism sucks, brought to you by Sanrio.

I haven't watched season 3 yet, but the song lyrics generally differ quite a lot between Japanese and English in seasons 1 and 2. and the Netflix subtitles only display the English song lyrics even if you're watching in Japanese (licensing issue I guess) I'll watch it soon and see if I can confirm or deny what was present in the original lyrics.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:13 pm Reply with quote
After a pretty dismal season 2 (largely because it felt like a repeat of the first season, just with a different love interest), I was happy to see Retsuko back to prime form this season. I binged the entire season in one night (Don't. Judge. Me. LOL) and I was not disappointed. It was nice seeing that this season wasn't about Retsuko finding Mr. Perfect, but more realizing that she's a pretty awesome panda who doesn't need a man to give her life validation.

But she does need that unicorn, especially if he's wearing that turtleneck sweater.

I really liked how the series handled the attack and how Retsuko was working through it. Haida certainly has his work cut out for him.

...Am I waiting until 2021 until season 4 comes out..?! Curses!!
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:23 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese does not say "Screw Capitalism," FYI. That is an overlay from Netflix.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:43 am Reply with quote
scrwbll19 wrote:
The Japanese does not say "Screw Capitalism," FYI. That is an overlay from Netflix.

I just watched it myself and can confirm she says "やってられるか" in the original. Definitely a creative liberty taken there by Netflix, which is even more ironic than it being Sanrio in my opinion.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:46 am Reply with quote
Netflix does not do that. That's from the translator and localisation team. And while Netflix would have their guidelines about controversial content, "Screw capitalism" is not.
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:26 am Reply with quote
Welp, I'm gonna have to burst your bubble, but I thought this season was a waste of time.

I never got into this show, yet I wanted to give it chances over and over again. Season 1 was rather average, but at least is pretty relatable. Season 2 was...also honestly average, but slowly started to get the "relatable" aspect be less grounded.

And then there's season 3, where it tries to go on a "being an idol" approach and it honestly feels more like an odd fantasy. Oh, and then there's the fact that the show itself is manipulating the shipping of Retsy and Haida so hard, that it feels disgustingly forced. I don't even know why. Retsuko already told him off, and I was hoping they'd distance from each other for a long while...but that would require having to getting off the status quo.

And now you see why I have such a problem with this show; it's "Status Quo Is God" quota. Didn't season 2 end with everyone kinda knowing that Retsuko briefly dated sort of a celebrity? It only gets brought up once and never again. So now she briefly had a stint on an idol group and it's safe to say it may barely be brought up. Heck, Retsuko doesn't even talk that much to her Mom this season.

Also, I really don't like Haida. It just feels like he only exists as a "satellite love interest", and this season tries to develop him, but because we've only really seent Retsuko struggling, it kinda makes the supporting characters feel like they have less hell to deal with compared to Retsuko.

If I can say one good thing about this season, it's Madaka; she's literally the only other character who, in some way, has struggled similarly to Retsuko in having another relatable job. She's basically Fenneko, if Fenneko got actual character development. Let's not forget that amount of secrecy for this season. Why can't Retsuko just hang out more often with Haida and Fenneko? It honestly feels like the show hates the idea of those three hanging around like, well, actual friends. Compare that to her, Gori and Washimi, and in this season, Manaka. She has more friendship chemistry with those three than with the latter two!

But whatever, I'm done with this show. You may hate me or whatever, but this is just an opinion. I just will not get it, and if the show refuses to evolve, what's even the point? This show just doesn't want to pull any risks, and that's really unfortunate.
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:
Oh, and then there's the fact that the show itself is manipulating the shipping of Retsy and Haida so hard, that it feels disgustingly forced. I don't even know why. Retsuko already told him off, and I was hoping they'd distance from each other for a long while...but that would require having to getting off the status quo.

And now you see why I have such a problem with this show; it's "Status Quo Is God" quota.

I enjoyed the earlier seasons of Aggretsuko, and I agree with you. I had hoped that this was the Season where more will change, but instead by the end it felt like everything was the same. Retsuko is still an office worker who’s just accepted to be content with her lot in life, Haida is still pinning for her, and no other character really had much of an impact.

I was severely pissed at Haida’s side plot. He spent the entire season going and back forth between his feelings, and it takes a MATCHMAKING APP to cement that he loves Retsuko. Inui is a really sweet and adorable character, and by the end she really deserved better.

My main issue is that this was such a wasted opportunity for something interesting and very real and even relatable.

What if, by the end of Season 3, Retsuko had come to really love and accept all sides of herself. And now, she’s grown enough that she’s ready for a more serious relationship. BUT the one character who fans have been rooting fo her to get together with, Haida, has moved onto someone else!

I just don’t enjoy it when a character is just left to pine after another, especially if the person they’re pining after had made it obvious that they’re not interested. It doesn’t feel healthy and borders on pitiful.

Hell, Retsuko told him outright that she isn’t ready! And Haida had every right to be disappointed in Retsuko’s behavior earlier in S3, because she refused to confide in him. She’s not obligated to tell him, but for sure he’s allowed to be sad about being left in the dark.

More importantly, by the end of S3, I never saw a reason why Haida and Retsuko should be together. Yes, they’re friends. But we rarely see them having fun together or being serious together. Fenneko had a point when she said that they’re just “office friends.” Most of the effort in friendship so far have been one-sided on Haida’s part.

But apparently, we should take the word of Gori’s Matchmaking App (and Tadano’s possible meddling.)

It just makes more sense and is far more interesting if Haida took a chance with someone he knows likes him, rather than chasing after someone who *might* like him. And if it doesn’t work out with Inui, there’s no real harm done imo. He took a chance, at least.

But instead, Haida and Retsuko’s relationship is once again left open ended.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:42 am Reply with quote
#889766 wrote:
MesousaGaby wrote:
Oh, and then there's the fact that the show itself is manipulating the shipping of Retsy and Haida so hard, that it feels disgustingly forced. I don't even know why. Retsuko already told him off, and I was hoping they'd distance from each other for a long while...but that would require having to getting off the status quo.

And now you see why I have such a problem with this show; it's "Status Quo Is God" quota.

I enjoyed the earlier seasons of Aggretsuko, and I agree with you. I had hoped that this was the Season where more will change, but instead by the end it felt like everything was the same. Retsuko is still an office worker who’s just accepted to be content with her lot in life, Haida is still pinning for her, and no other character really had much of an impact.

I was severely pissed at Haida’s side plot. He spent the entire season going and back forth between his feelings, and it takes a MATCHMAKING APP to cement that he loves Retsuko. Inui is a really sweet and adorable character, and by the end she really deserved better.

My main issue is that this was such a wasted opportunity for something interesting and very real and even relatable.

What if, by the end of Season 3, Retsuko had come to really love and accept all sides of herself. And now, she’s grown enough that she’s ready for a more serious relationship. BUT the one character who fans have been rooting fo her to get together with, Haida, has moved onto someone else!

I just don’t enjoy it when a character is just left to pine after another, especially if the person they’re pining after had made it obvious that they’re not interested. It doesn’t feel healthy and borders on pitiful.

Hell, Retsuko told him outright that she isn’t ready! And Haida had every right to be disappointed in Retsuko’s behavior earlier in S3, because she refused to confide in him. She’s not obligated to tell him, but for sure he’s allowed to be sad about being left in the dark.

More importantly, by the end of S3, I never saw a reason why Haida and Retsuko should be together. Yes, they’re friends. But we rarely see them having fun together or being serious together. Fenneko had a point when she said that they’re just “office friends.” Most of the effort in friendship so far have been one-sided on Haida’s part.

But apparently, we should take the word of Gori’s Matchmaking App (and Tadano’s possible meddling.)

It just makes more sense and is far more interesting if Haida took a chance with someone he knows likes him, rather than chasing after someone who *might* like him. And if it doesn’t work out with Inui, there’s no real harm done imo. He took a chance, at least.

But instead, Haida and Retsuko’s relationship is once again left open ended.

Have to agree entirely with this. I had hoped that they would have the guts to go with Inui instead of the old "will they or won't they" original pairing. It bugged me when Haida asks Retsuko for advice in "for a friend" only for her to give him the least helpful answer. She started off saying that it would be ok to pursue this new opportunity and see where it goes, but then says that she would kind of feel sorry for the previous woman, even though there is no relationship there. I hoped that she would just tell him its ok to move on instead of pining, but then basically says that its a dilemma and leaves him with that. It would have been more interesting if the message was that sometimes the pieces don't fall into place and you have to move on instead of keep waiting to see if something changes and hope that it turns out as great as you've imagined.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1