• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Who Says Warriors Can't Be Babes? GN 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not opposed to parody or screwball comedies, but the humor is entirely predicated on cruel gender-based jokes that often dip into essentialism.

This is the 1st time I've ever come across the term "essentialism".
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:58 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Quote:
I'm not opposed to parody or screwball comedies, but the humor is entirely predicated on cruel gender-based jokes that often dip into essentialism.

Same, had to look it up. Thanks ANN Reviewer!

Also, can’t say I’m surprised by the review. I have the feeling this will be made into an anime where it’ll get much more attention and heated debate.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:47 pm Reply with quote
It sucks that the manga continues the Japanese trend of "tough girls are bad, submissive tiny girls good!" Though this does make for good fan fic material.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:07 pm Reply with quote
FireChick
Japanese culture is paternalistic patriarchal*; this sort of thing is par for the course.

*I cannot believe that I made this mistake!

Last edited by nobahn on Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Generations

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, I had that feeling of the content when I had to read the title for this review.

On one hand, it's not fair to judge a book by its... uh, title in this case. On the other hand, I was right.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
nobahn wrote:
Quote:

Same, had to look it up. Thanks ANN Reviewer!

You're welcome!
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Man that sounds depressing. Video games have featured these sexy warrior girls for decades as player characters, and this manga sounds like it acts as though just came up with it and has to make all the usual stupid jokes.
siromkun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But outside the realm of fanfiction, I can't do anything to help her. Instead, I'm forced to stand back and watch as she is humiliated for not sufficiently checking off boxes on the list of traits considered “feminine”.

But nobody is forcing you to do anything. Simply don't read the staff that you don't like. Problem solved
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:02 am Reply with quote
siromkun wrote:

But nobody is forcing you to do anything. Simply don't read the staff that you don't like. Problem solved

This is literally a review, oh my god. Mods I feel for you so much, these forums are unsaveable
helln00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:13 am Reply with quote
The thing that I learned from this review is that Johji Manabe is published in the west but I don't know what flip floppies mean lol
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:16 am Reply with quote
helln00 wrote:
The thing that I learned from this review is that Johji Manabe is published in the west but I don't know what flip floppies mean lol

It's two terms that happened to come together in an odd way.

Flipped = artwork reversed so the manga reads left to write, as used to be standard procedure

Floppies = the short comic book volumes that lack stiff binding, and thus are "floppy", which also used to be common procedure in the US manga industry
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:39 am Reply with quote
helln00 wrote:
The thing that I learned from this review is that Johji Manabe is published in the west

We got Outlanders, Caravan Kidd and part of Drakuun, all from Dark Horse. I understand that Manabe moved from fan service to straight up hentai which is probably why we have not gotten any of his works in several years.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Guys, we're getting pretty far off-topic.

Heishi
, this isn't the first thread you've hopped into to discuss this particular affinity of yours. If you want recommendations, there's the anime/manga forum to do that in instead of going into talkback review threads for the opposite and derailing the topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The first book of this was a free download on the Japanese Kindle shop like a month ago. Still passed on it due to low customer reviews and the preview pages being uninspiring. Based on this review, it sounds like it's as one-note as it seemed.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Guys, we're getting pretty far off-topic.

Heishi
, this isn't the first thread you've hopped into to discuss this particular affinity of yours. If you want recommendations, there's the anime/manga forum to do that in instead of going into talkback review threads for the opposite and derailing the topic.

Look I understand and appreciate the reminder you’re giving me, but is it really necessary of you guys to delete recommendations making it difficult for me to find what I’m looking for?
Then have the same said people having to recommend the same stuff again, when they are probably not gonna??

I’m mean, it’s not as if these people are recommending stuff so horrible you can’t even believe it exists or something, geez.
I saw what the reviewer was saying regarding Warrior Woman wanting to be a traditional female character, instead of a strong one and just wanted to chime in on that notion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3