• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why You Should Try Heaven's Official Blessing

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
More people need to watch it seriously!
I already liked mdzs so much so I'm not surprised at all that I'm so into tgcf too!
I do wonder how the English dub will fare tho. No matter how it turns out I hope more people get to know the series!
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to watch this but the subtitles are impossibly small, has Funimation fixed this issue yet? Anyone know?
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:33 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
I've been wanting to watch this but the subtitles are impossibly small, has Funimation fixed this issue yet? Anyone know?

When Nicky and I started watching, the first episode had the tiny subs. They've since been corrected, but the following episodes may or may not have been fixed yet. It depends on the episode.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Now if only I could figure out a way to find this on the funimation app . . . Sad
leongsh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:36 am Reply with quote
FYI, the series with Chinese and Engish subtitles is also available to watch on Bili Bili and its channel on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBakWosU0sfhqX1bebvZ9B1pxc_D-GPMM) via monthly subscription. The free-to-watch on Bili Bili's YouTube channel is 2 episodes behind the broadcast. You will notice that there is a "Members Only" graphic on the top right corner of the thumbnail. If you are not able to access Funimation or have difficulties doing so, consider the aforementioned options.

This show is the best of the non-sequel animation shows of this season. There appears to be a lot of plot and story behind this show. With the most recent episode (i.e. Episode 5), it has given a lot of hints there is a lot of trauma, sadness, and tragedy lurking underneath the facade of the 2 main characters. I don't think this one season of the show would be able to cover it all. Considering how well received it is and the huge fandom behind it, more seasons of the show are expected and even at this early stage, I look forward to it.
Ak Animax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
[ Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by the participants in this chat log are not the views of Anime News Network. ]
Obviously it's an advertisement
Basically It's called Donghua ( Chinese Animation) it's not Anime so they are not from japan
Unlike anime , Donghua's have nothing logic it's all about emotional punch
It's actually copy of jp animation style
And Chinese Dub is way more fast than others
Can't even keep up with subtitles
Let's say it's actually good but not better than jp Animation
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that this series is getting so much attention. Its so good and honestly I think it gets a lot better past the first arc.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Aniket Ghorai wrote:
[ Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by the participants in this chat log are not the views of Anime News Network. ]
[...]

Ah, actually, that line shows up in every "This Week in Anime" column.

ANN does have an advertiser-column feature; but that is prominently displayed so that everyone knows that it's not ANN editorial content. (e.g., there is this)
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:53 pm Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
FYI, the series with Chinese and Engish subtitles is also available to watch on Bili Bili and its channel on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBakWosU0sfhqX1bebvZ9B1pxc_D-GPMM) via monthly subscription. The free-to-watch on Bili Bili's YouTube channel is 2 episodes behind the broadcast. You will notice that there is a "Members Only" graphic on the top right corner of the thumbnail. If you are not able to access Funimation or have difficulties doing so, consider the aforementioned options.

This show is the best of the non-sequel animation shows of this season. There appears to be a lot of plot and story behind this show. With the most recent episode (i.e. Episode 5), it has given a lot of hints there is a lot of trauma, sadness, and tragedy lurking underneath the facade of the 2 main characters. I don't think this one season of the show would be able to cover it all. Considering how well received it is and the huge fandom behind it, more seasons of the show are expected and even at this early stage, I look forward to it.

Thank you! I was getting really interested reading the column and being bummed that I couldn't watch it since I don't live in the united funimations. It'd be nice if ANN made it an encyclopedia page with this info since I would have given up or pirated it if I hadn't read your comment!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Aniket Ghorai wrote:
Basically It's called Donghua ( Chinese Animation) it's not Anime so they are not from japan
Unlike anime , Donghua's have nothing logic it's all about emotional punch
It's actually copy of jp animation style
And Chinese Dub is way more fast than others
Can't even keep up with subtitles
Let's say it's actually good but not better than jp Animation

Well, "anime" in Japanese means "animation" in the general sense. So, say "Chinese anime" is not exactly a misnomer or similar.
goncix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
The show's called Heaven Official's Blessing. An often made mistake with its name.
tailor31415

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
it's "donghua" not "donghau". please spell check in the future if you're doing a column like this.

and The Untamed wasn't a Netflix show, Netflix just got the license afterwards, just like Viki did, but you're not calling it a "Viki show" either. It was totally produced, filmed, written, etc etc, in China by Tencent.

found it interesting there was major praise for the OP, which it deserves, but no mention of the plagiarism the studio got in trouble for with it. they had to change out an image because it was proven plagiarism of another piece of art. sadly, plagiarism is a major problem in the donghua industry. hopefully the rest of the production is free of the issues. (for example, other studios often are caught having rotoscoped or copied frames from anime for combat choreography)

I hope the series does well! it's been very amusing watching forum threads about this series on Douban discussing selling rot (卖腐) vs selling meat (卖肉) (aka BL fanservice vs male gaze fanservice) and which will be more dominant in the donghua industry in the future lol
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Since most people are only using funimation and the bilibili youtube, if you use the bilibili website and make an account you can watch it for free in 1080p with English subs a week earlier than the youtube channel. However you need to use google translate for navigating and the sign up quiz as the site is only in Chinese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1