• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: TV Asahi Announces Top 100 Manga Voted on By 150,000 Readers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I was expecting more stuff from the past 10-20 years to be seen here, so color me surprised to see a decent amount of stuff from the 60, 70s, 80s, & 90s appear on this list. Granted, I'm sure titles like Parasyte, Hoshin Engi, Karakuri Circus, Banana Fish, Dai no Daibouken, & even Ushio & Tora all benefited from having anime adaptations from the past decade, though you definitely can't say the same for titles like Poe Clan, Kaze no Daichi, Bari Bari Legend (the motorcycling manga Shuichi Shigeno did before Initial D), Basara, Dokaben, & Candy Candy, so bravo to those making the list.

Kind of makes me wish we saw the next 100 spots, if only because I'm sure 100 is nowhere near the amount of manga that were voted for, in total.
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see some favourites of mine on this list (Fruits Basket and Cardcaptor Sakura were two of my favourites while growing up, and I'm always happy to see Banana Fish getting some recognition).

It's nice to see some older titles like Tokimeki Tonight and Candy Candy here, too, and I'm pleasantly surprised that Slam Dunk ranks so high on the list despite its age.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
I'm pleasantly surprised that Slam Dunk ranks so high on the list despite its age.

Slam Dunk is pretty much a cultural cornerstone in Japan, and I wouldn't be surprised if a good majority of players in Japan's B.League all took up basketball solely because they read the manga. It got a new release in 2019, complete with brand new cover art by Inoue, and that alone made Slam Dunk the fourth best-selling manga (& ninth best-selling media franchise, in general) in the country that year.
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I find it kind of funny reading through this list and seeing how many don't have official english translations. Especially with how in the sub headline it mentions Glass Mask, a very famous shojo manga that gets brought up and referenced in many later shojo series but for some reason never has gotten an english translation.

And then you add on the series the list which only briefly got an English translation due to either the translator shutting down or dropped the series with no explanation
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

It got a new release in 2019, complete with brand new cover art by Inoue, and that alone made Slam Dunk the fourth best-selling manga (& ninth best-selling media franchise, in general) in the country that year.

I didn't hear about Slam Dunk getting a rerelease, but in that case it would make sense that it ranks so high.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Really weird seeing Reborn! on here at all, let alone above so many other series!
MozillaYaseen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:59 pm Reply with quote
No love for Ikeda Akihisa's Rosario+Vampire?I seems to me that that series isn't as popular and appreciated as it should be
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:05 am Reply with quote
World Trigger being on top 20 is both unexpected and very good. The manga was done dirty by the anime but it's such a unique series and has some of the most impressive battle staging in shonen.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:35 am Reply with quote
Oooof no surprises with One Piece! It's just so amazing. I wish it could be more popular in the world, like on Dragon Ball level.
ShironoKuro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:21 am Reply with quote
...Anyone notice Sailor Moon is missing?
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Detective Conan high on the list.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
ShironoKuro wrote:

Also noticed Ranma 1/2 missing too.
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
ShironoKuro wrote:

Also noticed Ranma 1/2 missing too.

Notice that inuyasha got outranked by Rose of Versailles. That manga is like 40+ years old. That is truly impressive.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Good Lord... what a terrible list.

This is a prime example of recency bias.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:59 pm Reply with quote
IceLeaf wrote:
I find it kind of funny reading through this list and seeing how many don't have official english translations. Especially with how in the sub headline it mentions Glass Mask, a very famous shojo manga that gets brought up and referenced in many later shojo series but for some reason never has gotten an english translation.
It really did surprise me to see Glass Mask on the list, and especially within the top 30. But for the thing you just said, it also makes me sad because it's a series that I feel all too confident in will never see an official English translation. It's basically why I resorted to collecting the Japanese volumes as I can, since that's the only way I'd ever be able to own the series.

... It also makes me sad that Sentai also never put out the 2nd half of the 2005 anime series on DVD, much in part due to low sales on the 1st half, so I have my 1st half DVD set sitting lonely on my shelf, but I know that's a different subject, so I'll digress. It's just a shame that it really never took off here in ways that titles like Skip Beat! and act-age (up until recently) did. But I'll still take some solace that it's still going strong and doing well enough in Japan to get up that high on this sort of list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2