• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kemono Jihen

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Would it be accurate to describe Kabane as a Tiefling?
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Shiki does refer to his mother as an "arachne" in the Japanese, btw.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:41 pm Reply with quote
#Bird_Black wrote:
Shiki does refer to his mother as an "arachne" in the Japanese, btw.

Ah, okay, thanks! I couldn't quite hear it. I'm still thinking "jorogumo" might be a close fit, given his powers.

aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Would it be accurate to describe Kabane as a Tiefling?

It's probably a bit early to say that with any real certainty, but it seems to work so far.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree about the bugs. I cringed when the bugs closed in on Kabane. So creepy!

I'm also looking forward to seeing Akira's and the rest of the cast's powers. I'm hoping to see Kabane develop more emotions in the same way that Hyakkimaru did in Dororo.

From the first two episodes, this show gives me Bungo Stray Dogs and Dororo vibes. Looking forward to more!

Daisuke Ono sings the OP. It's so catchy! I love it.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I am very curious to see how/if this show actually establishes an overarching plot.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I've loved the manga for a while so I've been excited for the anime to finally come out. So far it's been doing a very good job as an adaptation. There were some differences, but I didn't even notice them until I went back to the manga to check after finishing ep 2. Overall the anime is great both compared to the manga and on it's own.
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:32 am Reply with quote
The trope of animation characters wearing the same clothes really didn't fit the scene when Shiki complains about Kabane taking his clothes... but he like any anime character wears the exact same clothes all the time anyway, so why is he complaining?

Also since they both suppose to have an inhuman "musky" odour, wouldn't wearing the same clothes all the time be super impractical?
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea what "khoular" means, the manga scanlations I read just referred to Kabane as being half ghoul. Looking up khoular doesn't seem to bring up anything useful (mostly just Kohler sinks), so I dunno where they got the word from. Though also I don't know Japanese, so I don't know what they refer to him in Japanese.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Like "arachne," they use the same word as subtitled, whatever language it's from. The series page on Japanese Wikipedia gives me the kanji for "shiki" (corpse demon) and the reading "kuuraa." Incidentally, "ghoul" can be expressed in kanji as either "shokushiki" or "shishokuki," which is to say, "corpse-eating demon."

The feminine of "ghoul" is "ghulah," which could be a possible origin, and could indicate that Kabane's mother was the kemono in the family. Flipping that page to JP give me the transliteration "guura" (with a short "a"), but the katakana for loanwords are always highly subjective. But again, ghouls are traditionally corpse eaters, not corpses themselves.

It's quite possible we're being Rowling'd, and it's also quite possible that Sho Aimoto (the author) was referencing an obscure or otherwise dated source. I could easily see "guuraa" picked up as "kuuraa" because someone missed a tenten. (I did a brief stint as a fan-translator, and this is the sort of situation where I'd throw up my arms and pick something that sounded close enough and that I could spell.)
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Hmm not familiar with khoular...

I’m sorry but I laughed when Akira immediately fainted at the sight of Kabane’s head. I would have done the same tbh.

Tsundere spider kid’s reaction to Kabane’s talking head was pretty funny too

Hope we get to see Akira’s ability in the next episode. As you had said in a previous episode review, it’s more than likely that he’s based on the Yuki-Onna / snow woman.

I’m also looking forward to seeing more of Kon. I like kitsune.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:42 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:

The feminine of "ghoul" is "ghulah," which could be a possible origin, and could indicate that Kabane's mother was the kemono in the family. Flipping that page to JP give me the transliteration "guura" (with a short "a"), but the katakana for loanwords are always highly subjective. But again, ghouls are traditionally corpse eaters, not corpses themselves.

Ah, I completely forgot about "ghulah;" I was being way too literal. (Though I did try alternate spellings and spent an informative hour or two reading folklore from a region of Pakistan. It had nothing to do with khoular, but I enjoyed myself.) That seems like a good possibility.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:25 am Reply with quote
Really enjoying this show so far; episode 3 was a lot of fun (with a slight disappointment that we didn’t get to see Akira use his snow powers to douse the fox flames). I like Kon and I hope she finds love in more genuine places by the end of the series! Inari is obnoxious, but I think she’s being set up as more of an amoral anti-hero or rival than an actual villain.

Poor Kabane! He (and the other kids) are lucky he can’t bleed! Inugami is a bit of a jerk for sending the kids in alone. I’m also wondering why these kids never go to school, but maybe that’s applying too much logic to the Half Demon Kids Detective show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:47 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
The feminine of "ghoul" is "ghulah," which could be a possible origin, and could indicate that Kabane's mother was the kemono in the family.

But his mother was the sister of his aunt, so I would assume both were human and not just the aunt.

I don't think Inari's intent was to murder him, per se. She knows he's essentially immortal, but maybe he'd die if she destroyed his head somehow. The box was to keep him from regenerating, but I wonder what she planned to do with him? Hopefully it was as benign as giving him back his lifestone and sending him on his way once she'd figured out how to replicate it. Shocked
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:56 am Reply with quote
I'll say i'm a bit disappointed with the direction of the series. I came in knowing nothing about it so i didn't know what to expect, but was very hooked by the first episode and its horror atmosphere. Although the subsequent episodes have some sprinkles of it, the general tone has shifted to a more traditional shonen superpower kids kind of series that i'm not sure i particularly care for. I'm not usually the type to renegue from light and colorful stories but this one gave me a different impression of where it was going with its first episode that doesn't seem to match with what the show is really about.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't think Inari's intent was to murder him, per se. She knows he's essentially immortal, but maybe he'd die if she destroyed his head somehow. The box was to keep him from regenerating, but I wonder what she planned to do with him? Hopefully it was as benign as giving him back his lifestone and sending him on his way once she'd figured out how to replicate it. Shocked

It's possible she planned to bury him so he would never regenerate, same as Inugami said he did to the deer (which was also immortal) in episode 1. Certainly not before she figured out the lifestone though, since it seems to be closely linked to him.

Considering she's fine with brainwashing hundreds of people to do her bidding, manipulating Kon to be self-sacrificingly loyal, and at least injuring her driver in a car crash without a care, I wouldn't put burying Kabane out of the question.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8