• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lyricist Neko Oikawa Shares How She Was Scammed Out of Her Evangelion Royalty Money

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:49 pm Reply with quote
What an absolute waste of money.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
What a horrible series of decisions geez.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In 2015, Oikawa revealed that she makes about one yen (0.8 cent) each time "Cruel Angel's Thesis" is sung in karaoke and that pachinko royalties were more lucrative — "at least 30 million yen (US$250,000)" a year and at times 100 million (US$951,000).

Sounds like she's still making bank though.
kuma991

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I sat for so long thinking of what it is I have to say on this topic, I noticed it says "Teh Rules" on the "Post a reply" page. Guess it just goes to show we're all wasting something we don't appreciate, be it time, attention, money, whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:09 pm Reply with quote
that sucks, such a nice soul and she got cheated.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Damn that's some story.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:54 pm Reply with quote
The cycle that she mentioned (Lovebombing, Devaluation, Discard, lather-rinse-repeat) that she's experienced and still experiencing makes me think that Ian suffers from Narcissist Personality Disorder.

I really feel for her. Dealing with people who have NPD or who are suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder is incredibly difficult. She really needs to cut out any ability Ian could have of ever communicating with her again. That's really the only way to begin to free yourself from someone who has NPD and who is not even remotely interested in getting therapy to help control this.

I wish her well. Nobody deserves to deal with someone like this.
LightningComet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
That was two hours well spent, Ms. Oikawa.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Ian's watched Neon Genesis Evangelion... ?

I wonder if he bought the DVD set with her money...?

I wonder if leaving Teh Rules misspelt all these years is deliberate on ANN's part...?
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:09 am Reply with quote
Love is a difficult thing to manage. Is she still in debt? The song seems to be still doing really well for her financially.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:41 am Reply with quote
She had an interesting life! This is the stuff of reality television shows. The guy sounded like a total scumbag but she can say she had a good time I guess. Successful independent women like her don't need men to make them happy.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:11 am Reply with quote
Interesting story. Guy is a scumbag.
Maciste

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:07 am Reply with quote
I am very confused.

Article says, she made like 5.7 million dollar.
After the divorce, she was about 660.00 dollar in debt.
That wording makes it sound like she got conned out of 6.3 million dollar by her husband.
Yet she clearly goes into detail when it comes to any major spending over the course of her marriage, which doesn't even remotely add up to 6.3 million dollar.
Furthermore, she seems to make roughly a million dollar alone from royalties each year (the number's from 2015, but I guess even if it's half of it today, it'd be a comfortable amount to live off)?
Considering all that, I assume she's a woman who spends way more money than she earns, even outside of her marriage.
Am I the only one having trouble understanding the situation?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:29 am Reply with quote
Maciste wrote:
Yet she clearly goes into detail when it comes to any major spending over the course of her marriage, which doesn't even remotely add up to 6.3 million dollar.

I don't think the items which were mentioned were intended to be an all-inclusive list of her major spending. I'm sure that "Ian" scammed her out of a lot more than what the article mentioned.

Quote:
Furthermore, she seems to make roughly a million dollar alone from royalties each year (the number's from 2015, but I guess even if it's half of it today, it'd be a comfortable amount to live off)?

Yes, that's my understanding too. It certainly sucks that she was scammed out of that money in the first place but it seems that she's still doing alright financially, and presumably has other sources of income as well. While Cruel Angel's Thesis might be her most successful song in terms of royalties I doubt it is her only one.

I found the title of this article to be a bit misleading. In my opinion it implies that some someone (or some corporation) somehow screwed her out of her royalties on a legal basis--as in she never received the money she was due in the first place. In reality she received her royalty--and still does, apparently--and instead was the victim of a scammer which had nothing to do with the source of that money.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
This whole story makes me sad; I'll just leave it at that.

Maciste wrote:
Am I the only one having trouble understanding the situation?

I'm guessing there were a LOT of little details left out, and what's summarized here are the most egregious expenses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2