• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses Reborn as a Space Mercenary Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psionicdan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:08 pm Reply with quote
A sci-fi isekai? That's a first. I actually had that idea a few years ago, mostly to contrast my taste of dystopian sci fi games with the standard JRPG that's popular in Japan. Ah well. Course they beat me to the punch, but it looks like the approach is still the same as the fantasy variety. I'm still possessed by that idea to be honest. Been working on it in drafts since I got the idea and wanted to make it a graphic novel. If nothing else, its become my pandemic project, so at least I'm keeping somewhat sane. Anyways, sorry for the shameless self-promotion. I just didn't think this would actually happen. Makes me feel like a turtle, and a little jilted to be honest.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:41 pm Reply with quote
A sci-fi isekai? I was honestly not expecting that, the closest I can currently think of to a sci-fi isekai is Please Save My Earth (though it's more reverse isekai, going from scifi universe to (at the time modern day) 90s Japan)

Shame it seems like it'll otherwise be hitting all the same tropes I'm used to as the description is otherwise generic, but I would like to see good entries into the genre someday (and I'm not counting getting trapped in a fantasy MMO as a sci-fi isekai, the method to get there was sci-fi, but the setting wasn't. Also not counting the lead having a random menu system as sci-fi, that's just to make it easier on the audience by giving them a hand to hold)
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I've been meaning to check out that first title specifically because it's a (I presume) rare sci-fi take on the genre.

I always figured one reason you don't see them is that it'd be harder to make the MC show off in the new world because all of the "future" knowledge he could apply to the "past" wouldn't hold up. "Look at this fancy cooking technique we have!" "Uh, we have a replicator for that..." Laughing So it should be interesting to see how the author fits the MC into this world.

Anyways, after I check it out I'll be sure to pick it up if I enjoy it =)
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:18 am Reply with quote
Psionicdan wrote:
A sci-fi isekai? That's a first.

It's not, actually. There was a sci-fi isekai showed called Super Dimension Century Orguss that aired way back in 1983. The main character, Katsuragi Kei is transported twenty years into the future to an alternate Earth that was created when a weapon called Time/Space Oscillation Bomb malfunctions and merges the Earths of several different universes into one.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:19 am Reply with quote
I read the first volume of the Assassin manga. It was ok. I might check out the novel though.
Madzack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:53 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Psionicdan wrote:
A sci-fi isekai? That's a first.

It's not, actually. There was a sci-fi isekai showed called Super Dimension Century Orguss that aired way back in 1983. The main character, Katsuragi Kei is transported twenty years into the future to an alternate Earth that was created when a weapon called Time/Space Oscillation Bomb malfunctions and merges the Earths of several different universes into one.

Heard of it, along with Now and Then, Here and There. There were a lot of old-school scifi isekai then than it is now, which is more medieval fantasy-based. There's rarely any sci-fi or space opera isekai now and this manga seems promising.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:29 am Reply with quote
I've read some of Space Mercenary's source webnovel; spoiler[rather than a hard scifi series it's more like a scifi fantasy in some ways.
]

spoiler[There are worldbuilding elements which feel like reskinned versions of fantasy tropes, such as the existence of space nobility who wield feudal-like absolute power, and the author's lack of focus in describing space aliens apart from space humans, space elves, and space dwarves.]
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
Madzack wrote:
Heard of it, along with Now and Then, Here and There. There were a lot of old-school scifi isekai then than it is now, which is more medieval fantasy-based. There's rarely any sci-fi or space opera isekai now and this manga seems promising.

Wouldn't Crest/Banner of the Stars also fall into this category? Those are licensed by j-novel club.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Madzack wrote:

Wouldn't Crest/Banner of the Stars also fall into this category? Those are licensed by j-novel club.

I wouldn't count Crest/Banner in anything but the most technical sense. Jint (going with the novel spelling) is very, very technically taken to another planet (multiple times), but he knew the Abh existed from the start and they were part of the setting Jint lived in. I don't think it counts as isekai if the travel is the equivalent of someone in our world moving from the US to France.

My view is that it doesn't count as isekai if it's just travel to somewhere else in the same world (with a sci-fi universe counted as a single "world") unless there's zero meaningful connection with where the protagonist came from. Crest/Banner of the Stars doesn't fit that category as Jint's homeworld rarely shows up, but it's still important to the story and the characters.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
I've read some of Space Mercenary's source webnovel; spoiler[rather than a hard scifi series it's more like a scifi fantasy in some ways.
]

spoiler[There are worldbuilding elements which feel like reskinned versions of fantasy tropes, such as the existence of space nobility who wield feudal-like absolute power, and the author's lack of focus in describing space aliens apart from space humans, space elves, and space dwarves.]

That's a bit disappointing =/
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote
ANN Again for bringing me new content to read especially my favorite genre
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1