• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo Plans Kickstarter for Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 Blu-ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I got this on VHS I think. Think I will pass on this though. Didn't really think much of it back then. The story just didn't hook me. Though it is nice that they are doing it for those that do. Now I wish someone would do Outlanders.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I do NOT like the idea of fixing animation mistakes for a show that old. It's best to just leave it as it is. Otherwise we needlessly wind up with multiple versions.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:54 pm Reply with quote
The article somewhat misstates what the actual animation stretch goal is when summarizing it.

From the draft campaign page: "It turns out there's a scene with an animation mistake that Director Aramaki would like to fix. If we hit this stretch goal, we'll hire him to do so, and make any other tweaks he deems necessary. These changes will be incorporated into the restored version, and we'll create a special feature that A/B compares the changes."

When it's the actual director that wants to make what seems like minor fixes (if even more than just one specific one), and both versions will still exist, that sounds like a great idea to me.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:14 am Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
The article somewhat misstates what the actual animation stretch goal is when summarizing it.

From the draft campaign page: "It turns out there's a scene with an animation mistake that Director Aramaki would like to fix. If we hit this stretch goal, we'll hire him to do so, and make any other tweaks he deems necessary. These changes will be incorporated into the restored version, and we'll create a special feature that A/B compares the changes."

When it's the actual director that wants to make what seems like minor fixes (if even more than just one specific one), and both versions will still exist, that sounds like a great idea to me.

I mean, as long as both versions are viewable on this release. Otherwise we’ll have another Macross DYRL incident. They toned down the violence in the initial bluray release which meant that the only way to watch the original version was on DVD. Luckily they restored the violence in a later release.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:05 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I mean, as long as both versions are viewable on this release. Otherwise we’ll have another Macross DYRL incident. They toned down the violence in the initial bluray release which meant that the only way to watch the original version was on DVD. Luckily they restored the violence in a later release.

Wasn't that first release bundled with a video game? I imagine the issue there was related to how ridiculous CERO has been with what gets approved for an acceptable rating.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:42 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I got this on VHS I think. Think I will pass on this though. Didn't really think much of it back then. The story just didn't hook me. Though it is nice that they are doing it for those that do. Now I wish someone would do Outlanders.
I hear that it has a not all that good story, but amazing mecha animation.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
I have some serious doubts. MADOX really doesn't have the same clout as titles like Bubblegum Crisis or Riding Bean even if it's from the same era. But, well, we'll see...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1