• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Comics Licenses With the Sheikh in His Harem, Medalist, More Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GainaxFanboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:39 pm Reply with quote
A takashi sano manga getting licensed
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Medalist has my vote, the story is engaging, art and composition are beautiful. One of the very few sports mangas even I follow.

Despite the merits, author feels like he/she came from nowhere, I can't find any other published works listed under the name. He/she has a pixiv page with earliest illustrations from 2008 so they do have some experience;
https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/100564
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:11 pm Reply with quote
"Back When You Called Us Devils" sounds pretty interesting. Might pick that up.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Back When You Called Us Devils looks interesting! It sounds promising, I hope it can keep that vibe up...
As an aside, it's a different Takashi Sano to the one linked in the article.

One of my friends loves Medalist so they'll be happy to hear it's licensed. From what I've seen, the art looks really nice. I'm not into sports manga though.

lmao @ that white as sheikh
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

lmao @ that white as sheikh

It's a whole, terrible subgenre in romance. Rolling Eyes Seriously, do a search on Amazon (or Harlequin's website) for romance manga and be horrified at how many of them there are, both as adaptations of western romance novels and manga-original works.
Xmaomi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Digital release=automatically not interested
Once again, it's a shame as I would definitely get some of these if they were in print.[/u]
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
It's a whole, terrible subgenre in romance. Rolling Eyes Seriously, do a search on Amazon (or Harlequin's website) for romance manga and be horrified at how many of them there are, both as adaptations of western romance novels and manga-original works.

Oh, I know, I've seen countless sheikh related romance books when I was volunteering at a library. I just don't think I'd seen one as white as this. I seem to recall they were at least a bit tanned and had black hair.
The first thing I did upon opening this article was checking if it was one of those manga adaptations of harlequin novels, and was surprised it wasn't. I guess the many novel adaptations have made the subgenre popular in some niche in Japan.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:13 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

The first thing I did upon opening this article was checking if it was one of those manga adaptations of harlequin novels, and was surprised it wasn't. I guess the many novel adaptations have made the subgenre popular in some niche in Japan.

That was the first thing I checked, too. I guess those Harlequin adaptations of the subgenre must be selling pretty well in English, too.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Medalist sounds like something up my alley. Not sure about the others but I'll keep an ear open.

I legitimately thought The Springtime of My Life Began with You, Back When You Called Us Devils was a single title. Thanks, isekai. Rolling Eyes
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Medalist has my vote, the story is engaging, art and composition are beautiful. One of the very few sports mangas even I follow.

Despite the merits, author feels like he/she came from nowhere, I can't find any other published works listed under the name. He/she has a pixiv page with earliest illustrations from 2008 so they do have some experience;
https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/100564

Another ice skating manga? I’ve recently fallen in love with Knight on the Ice and, of course, I love Yuri!! On Ice. But the summary doesn’t specify which aspect of skating (if it is skating) the characters compete in?
lys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
@Agent355, from what I could pick up skimming the Japanese sample pages online, it seems like it'll focus on spoiler[a coach (former skater) and a student new to skating]. The art is lovely, so I'm looking forward to the release as well! (hopefully eventually in print...!)
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:49 am Reply with quote
Medalist looks promising. I'm already a figure skating fan and I loved Yuri on Ice, so any more anime and manga about figure skating is always welcome in my book.

I just hope the relationship between the two main characters doesn't go anywhere weird, considering how young the girl looks...
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Medalist looks promising. I'm already a figure skating fan and I loved Yuri on Ice, so any more anime and manga about figure skating is always welcome in my book.

I just hope the relationship between the two main characters doesn't go anywhere weird, considering how young the girl looks...

I highly recommend Knight on the Ice! It’s the cutest josei romance I’ve read in ages and the manga-ka is a huge figure skating fan—she takes lessons herself; and consults with a figure skating coach who includes a glossary of figure skating terms in every volume. I’m only a casual fan (basically watch around the Winter Olympics) and I’ve learned a lot about different steps, jumps, and scoring conventions!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1