• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek to Release Dear Brother, Memories, Nyanbo, Video Warrior Laserion Anime on June 29

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heavyweather

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
There's no way it'll ever happen, but I'd love to see the licenseor's reasoning for having such an incredibly short license period for Dear Brother.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it has to do with Anime Sols, maybe they got what's left from that old deal?
taishou*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:20 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
I wonder if it has to do with Anime Sols, maybe they got what's left from that old deal?

Apparently the license holder for Ryoko Ikeda's works is incredibly stingy with the licenses. It's why Rose of Versailles has never stayed in print for long.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:21 pm Reply with quote
taishou* wrote:
Apparently the license holder for Ryoko Ikeda's works is incredibly stingy with the licenses. It's why Rose of Versailles has never stayed in print for long.

Not the same, most anime licenses lasts 5-7 years (confirmed by many people including Justin) and Rose of Versailles under Nozomi had the same limit from 2012-2018 so there was nothing stingy about that one compared to Dear Brother.
taishou*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Must be misremembering. I thought it was either Versailles or another Ikeda work that they wanted an absurdly high amount of money to license.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Probably thinking of the Versailles manga. Where she wanted a ridiculous amount for it. Hence why it took years until someone was finally able to get the rights.

I'll be sure to pickup Dear Brother and Memories that month. Disappointed they aren't releasing the next Ippo set that month!
ShironoKuro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:16 am Reply with quote
It couldn’t be too much the asking price, considering it’s one of the greatest manga/series of all time. Do you know how much?
EricMontreal22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:41 am Reply with quote
Interesting that Dear Brother is just in one set but priced better (for just one less episode) than if you buy both Lady Oscar sets.

Paranoid question... Is Dear Brother gonna be difficult to get due to the release? Being in Canada, ordering from Right Stuf does not make much money sense due to the shipping and I was hoping it would just show up on Amazon or somewhere -- it's my all tim fave series, so should I be worried?
heavyweather

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
EricMontreal22 wrote:
Interesting that Dear Brother is just in one set but priced better (for just one less episode) than if you buy both Lady Oscar sets.

Paranoid question... Is Dear Brother gonna be difficult to get due to the release? Being in Canada, ordering from Right Stuf does not make much money sense due to the shipping and I was hoping it would just show up on Amazon or somewhere -- it's my all tim fave series, so should I be worried?

I just checked Amazon (US), and it's up there for pre-order. Discotek typically makes their stuff available through multiple retailers. I'd pre-order it ASAP, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1