• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sakura Wars' Smartphone Game Ends Service on June 30

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seagloom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:47 am Reply with quote
That was fast. I thought it would last at least a year. Not surprising, however. There were longtime fans that had trouble accepting the action-oriented combat in Shin; never mind the more significant shifts this title made to the franchise. I guess it failed to attract enough new fans to compensate.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:45 am Reply with quote
So is it safe to say that this doesn't bode well for the whole Sakura Wars franchise revival? This whole mobile game pretty much lasted 6 months which is pretty much damning for Sega.
KittyEponine
ANN Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:57 am Reply with quote
That was fast. To think I heard about this game from a friend just a month ago or two Laughing
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote
LMAO owned.

Sasuga DW.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:15 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
So is it safe to say that this doesn't bode well for the whole Sakura Wars franchise revival? This whole mobile game pretty much lasted 6 months which is pretty much damning for Sega.

I’m not sure that’s entirely fair. These mobile games are failing pretty consistently, and quickly — Princess Principal only lasted a year, and the English version of Madoka Magica Magia Record only lasted three months. So I don’t know that it’s particularly damning for Sakura Wars, even with the trigger being pulled so soon.

I do wonder though, are people still just playing the same old warhorses (Fate/Grand Order, Granblue Fantasy, etc.), to the exclusion of anything new, or are mobage burning out generally?
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:32 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

I do wonder though, are people still just playing the same old warhorses (Fate/Grand Order, Granblue Fantasy, etc.), to the exclusion of anything new, or are mobage burning out generally?

For every FGO/Granblue there are about 10 unsuccessful ones. The latest new popular mobage is Uma Musume, which has been topping charts everywhere since it's release late February. There are successful ones, but most of them aren't really successful.

In Sakura Kakumei's case, it's been crashing and burning from the release day despite it's ridiculously high production cost (much higher than your average mobage... Or even console games). DW is just... Not a good dev compared to the likes of Cygames, mihoyo, or yostar who are capable to release multiple successful mobages. Even FGO is mostly popular due to the Fate brand name rather than its gameplay.

Last edited by Meongantuk on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sakura-kakumei-delightworks-sakura-wars-gacha-ending-service-on-june-30-2021-half-a-year-after-it-launched.413907/page-2#post-63403875

Speculation is DW brought in Hideo Baba (former Tales producer up until Zestiria) and a lot of this game's problems are linked to him.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:57 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
...and the English version of Madoka Magica Magia Record only lasted three months

You're off by a year and change here.

NA launched in June 2019 and closed at the end of October 2020 (the date got pushed back by a month after that initial announcement so that they could implement an incredibly half-assed offline "gallery mode" that didn't even work properly for a good chunk of the playerbase).
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Hideo Baba has jack all to do with anything I think this is just mad tales fans try to pin more fail on a guy they dislike I think COVID and the dev lack of game deved is the main iuses RIP It's sad man
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
Hideo Baba has jack all to do with anything I think this is just mad tales fans try to pin more fail on a guy they dislike I think COVID and the dev lack of game deved is the main iuses RIP It's sad man

Nah, this game was doomed from the beginning, because frankly you can't take any IP and do whatever the hell you want and expect it to go well. I did not know any actual sakutai fan who would care for the smartphone game. At least shin sakutai retained a lot of what the original series was about. The smartphone game was really better off as an original IP.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/lzofxq/theres_some_drama_surrounding_dw_right_now/

someone put this together in regards to Sakura Kakumei on r/grandorder last month... turns out that it was indeed on it's last legs.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, maybe F/GO will start getting content again.
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
So none of that means jack and is not proof of shit photoshop is a thing and so is irrational hate of some guy because you did not like his games
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
So none of that means jack and is not proof of shit photoshop is a thing and so is irrational hate of some guy because you did not like his games

Game shut down 6 months after coming out... please thing about that and repeat what you just said.
BlueFalcon07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Blame Hideo Baba.

This is a another sad case. Symphogear Anime hyper Unlimited global only lasted like four months. Maybe in exchange of SINoALICE global. Soul to soul?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2