• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zombie Land Saga (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:24 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Kotaro apparently made a big mistake, got too ambitious and got a venue that was far too big, and now they are in debt, and yet all the girls are keeping their chins up. The weird thing is Kotaro, the guy is in absolute despair, it is so not in his character as nothing put him down before, not when all but one of them were mindless, but suddenly some sort of time limit has got to him. A time limit does make one wonder if these girls can't be undead for long, but really the idea was always weird, we never really understood what Kotaro's deal is.

Also, they still don't fully understand the playing to the venue thing, like if there is the one place for them to play into their zombie nature.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:05 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see this show back. I was kind of not cool with the focus on Kotaro because I've never really liked his character, but oh well.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:19 am Reply with quote
S2 #1
For some reason I stopped commenting midway from the first season, why?
Anyway, by the end of the episode it made sense. This blunder prevents the corpses from getting to big and keep doing those funny small gigs, and it was also used to tell us that Kotaro is working on a limited schedule. The zombiefication probably have a time limit, like, two years?
Or it may just be a joke in the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
If it is a zombification time limit, I wonder if we will see Romero go first. As for what I hope this season, get some understanding of how the resurrection worked in the first place, how and why Kotaro has done this, and last but certainly not least, who is the Legendary Yamada Tae?
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
If it is a zombification time limit, I wonder if we will see Romero go first. As for what I hope this season, get some understanding of how the resurrection worked in the first place, how and why Kotaro has done this, and last but certainly not least, who is the Legendary Yamada Tae?

I hope you don't expect that Kotaro is doing all this for the girls, right?
Like any good producer he is doing that for himself and the fame.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
This episode was a good example of why/how this anime is so good. The conversations between the girls flows very nicely, all the girls have nice and somewhat interesting personalities different from each other, all get along very well (highlight to that moment with Yuugiri saying to include her among the people who loves Lily Embarassed) and the people from each gig are always nice people. That radio celebrity was really a "good person".
Seeing Saki crying as unexpected, I wonder if this season will be all emotional like that, in preparation for the possible second death of the girls.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:47 am Reply with quote
Yuugiri saying to not forget to count her among all the people in the world who loves Lily, it's one of the reasons why this series is so good. This series is full of moments and interactions like this.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
I was thinking that it was going to be a don't meet your idols sort of thing, but Saki did not seem disillusioned by him at all, but that she wishes for a future she could not have.

In terms of the nice dialogue, one of them also mentioned to Lily that her father might see her on TV, knowing she would clearly be happy over it. I was a little wondering why they did not give more to Lily for the TV thing, since it should be her wheelhouse.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:45 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

Kotaro as drill Sargent, these are the types of him being totally hammy that I missed, being completely unreasonable. But I also think is often some form of him overcompensating, because as they said he generally cannot be reasoned with when he acts like this, which was kind of making me think he is not saying the whole truth of holding her back from the performance. First time also mentioned that he turned down gigs outside of Saga, which he said was a trick and would harm his plan, although kind of makes me wonder if the girls might not be able to leave Saga, since arguably an idol for a location could do more by showing up in other locations.

Also, had to re-watch the water gun bit a few times, it kind of made me think of some sort of arcade shooting game with zombies. Lily also jumped to protect Yugiri from being shot. If I remember right the girls are generally in pairs; Lily and Yugiri, Sakura and Saki, Junko and Ai, and Tae with Romero.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
It's right that would be better to take care to not let Ai be recognized by her old group, what ends sounds kinda ridiculous when the girl that knew Ai the best go to her and just says that "yeah, you look like her". Laughing
But that was not the only reason why Kotaro separated Ai from the group, you could see that he had noticed the girls had become too dependent on Ai. Kotaro don't know how to do things better but knows the things he has to do as manager, he had to separate Ai and for the others to work without her.

I just wasn't expecting this to be a two episode story.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:47 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Quote:
Junko's rooftop performance is another highlight—beautiful and sincere, but tinged with the tongue-in-cheek aspect ratio gag

Another detail I liked about Junko's song, is that on second viewing of the pre-OP segment, you can tell it's that exact same song that Ai was starting to listen to on "Mytube" and clicked away from when Sakura opened the door. Her reaction to Junko's question initially had me thinking she might be looking at something of Junko's, so it's a neat subtle way to ultimately confirm it. Hoping there will be some interesting things with Ai and Junko's bond as the arc continues.

That was a nice catch, this episode even showed that.
But man, wow!
I was expecting that this episode would only give material for the shippers to write their fanfics, to draw their fanarts, but this episode IS THE fanfic, it practically canonizes the pair. They just went harder and harder until Junko grabbed Ai's and declared that she was hers.

But poor Kotaro, no matter how handy Junko is I can't see she succeeding in repairing his guittar.
Talking about him, like I said and it was obvious he separated Ai from the rest because they had become too dependent on her. Made Junko the "leader" was a mistake because they expected her to do Ai's role, coordinate the group, but in the end she used her strength as a showa idol. She just got the spotlight and made the others follow her. A showa idol with her deep voice showing rock makes sense and is very cool to see.
The anime knows how to use the characters well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I thought that Kotaro was the silly one, since he kept telling Junko to "smash through" while gesturing towards the guitar, which kept making me think that he almost wanted her to break it like she eventually did.

I would like to think I have an eye for it, but I might have missed the Junko being strongly implied to have a thing for Ai. Beyond mild teasing you find in most idol shows.

Looks like next episode will be a Lily one.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:27 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I would like to think I have an eye for it, but I might have missed the Junko being strongly implied to have a thing for Ai. Beyond mild teasing you find in most idol shows.

Oh, don't misunderstand, it is "headcannon", but still cannon anyway.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote
I'm dying for a Tae-centric episode! I love her. At some point I'm going to have to do a rewatch of both seasons where I concentrate just on whatever she's doing in frame. Often she's in the background, so it's tough to follow her antics while trying to take in the other action as you read subtitles.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Just gonna copy paste my post from the episode review thread, hope that’s ok:

I really don’t like Kotarou—he’s a funny character, and Mamoru Miyano’s performance is incredible, but he’s obnoxious. He does scream at the girls like a drill sergeant, demanding top performances from them, but without giving them any leadership, direction or even useful advice. He brought them back from the dead and does their make-up, but it was his idea that they become idols, and he forces them to figure out the details, for the most part —most of the songwriting and choreography and even many of the bookings. (Also, sidenote, I preferred his “depressed look” in episode 1, long hair suits him).

So while the Junko rock song was incredible, my favorite part of episode 4 was the look on Kotaro’s face after Junko smashed his guitar like a rock goddess badass. He *asked* her to do it, and he got exactly what he deserved!

Pure schadenfreude! Kotaro is so often unnecessarily mean to our girls, and now his precious guitar, sacrificed in the pursuit of rock performance perfection, will be a zombie!

ROCK ON!!!

Other highlights of this season so far was the Saki focused episode (it is really cool and hilarious that they got a real Saga rock star to do a cameo!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5