• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tatsuhiko Takimoto's Welcome to the NHK Novel Gets Sequel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
methedemon

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:01 am Reply with quote
Wow
great news. Welcome to the NHK was such a strange anime, I actually related to it back in the day as a 18 years old with no job or gf who played games all day long
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:42 am Reply with quote
I hope this gets licensed.
iBoofedBugenhagen

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:45 am Reply with quote
As a veteran weeb and at the age of 29, I only discovered the existence of the series literally a couple weeks ago. Started watching the anime, ordered all the manga and novel. On episode 13 now...and then this news randomly drops? What a time to be alive hahah
-SP-

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:37 am Reply with quote
I've waited so long for this and thought there was no chance. Im so happy right now
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:46 am Reply with quote
I just hope after all this time that the story and tone are consistent with the original. My fervent hope is that it follows Satou and Misaki as they grow into being a couple and healing their psychic injuries together. Long live their NHK!!
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
NHK is one of my all-time favourites.
Hope the quality is stays at the same level and someone translates/licenses it.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the NHK is a very well written novel. If you enjoyed the manga or anime, I'd strongly recommend reading the source. Takimoto's a great writer. I was worried about him though because after Welcome to the NHK's success, by his own words, he shut down. It's okay if an author chooses not to write again, but the way he described his situation made me concerned.

I look forward to the sequel. It's been 20 years since Welcome to the NHK was published. I'm curious how Takimoto will age and present his characters now that he's experienced a good chunk more of life. I'd love it if our protagonists were in their 40s or older, although I doubt that will be the case.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote
A hidden anime gem! Hopefully this gets an anime too! And maybe we'll finally get that instrumental version of Hitori Bochii.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the original novel can be rescued from Tokyopoop's clutches along with this sequel.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Back in the 2000s, I bought a copy of the novel at Borders; I had no idea at the time how lucky I'd been to find it. It was one of the few books I was able to save from Hurricane Harvey.

here-and-faraway wrote:
I was worried about him though because after Welcome to the NHK's success, by his own words, he shut down. It's okay if an author chooses not to write again, but the way he described his situation made me concerned.

Ditto. Going from the afterwords, it sounds like writing it was a particularly overwhelming experience, like what Anno's said about Evangelion; plus he mentions the income removing some of his motivation to return to society. Wikipedia says he's been more active since then, which is promising in itself, but if he finally feels confident enough to go back into that headspace again, it suggests that he's doing a lot better than he was 15 years ago. If he's found his way to a better place mentally, I hope he manages to stay there. Smile
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote
I re-watched this series last December and I am very happy to say that it held up against the test of time!

I was very drawn to visit it again after we all became shut ins due to quarantining last year. The dub was really well done and I find the dialogue regarding paranoia, mental health, and government conspiracies to be surprisingly relevant to modern times. It's definitely still one of my favorite anime series!

I'm also excited to see what Misaki and Satou have been up to! They better be keeping their promises. Smile
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:01 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
A hidden anime gem!

I don't think this one qualifies as "hidden." It was quite the prominent and talked-about title back in its day, and is in the top 100 on our site for number of ratings. (Around 200 on MAL, I believe.)

Given how screwed-up and co-dependent Misaki and Tatsuhiro became, I am also quite curious to see a "several years later" return to them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
While I am also curious about what happens to the two leads in the future, I am not that interested in a sequel. I really like the anime version, but I am satisfied with how it ended.
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it translates well to the current climate. Back then, otaku were a way more marginalized culture in Japan, and strict expectations on offspring were the norm. Today is no longer the case. Every family in Japan has a copy of One Piece and KnY, politicians acknowledge anime as part of Japanese culture, and things that Satou said, that back in the day were considered shameful, today are the norm. In particular it's impressive how his incredibly cowardly views on heroines, are now the standard by which most girls in isekai are today.

I don't like it. Welcome to the NHK was a product of its time.
ShatteredX

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:12 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Welcome to the NHK is a very well written novel. If you enjoyed the manga or anime, I'd strongly recommend reading the source. Takimoto's a great writer. I was worried about him though because after Welcome to the NHK's success, by his own words, he shut down. It's okay if an author chooses not to write again, but the way he described his situation made me concerned.

Yeah I loved the novel. One of the few books I ever read twice. Really hope this one gets licensed and an equally good translation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1