• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest Badass Forum Tournament

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Overall Semi-Final Matchups:

B1 Levi Ackerman(Attack on Titan) vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing)
While I know he won't win based on votes thus far, I still need to show some love to Levi. He is vulnerable and frail (human), unlike Alucard and still will take on anything that comes at him. I think Alucard has been great up to now, but he's also always the most powerful one around, whereas that isn't the case for Levi, who will still go after whatever it is with attitude that doesn't stop.

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing)
I love Integra...I really do...but between the two, I have to vote Kenshiro. They are both very badass, and both have attitude and confidence, but Kenshiro can also back that up himself with strength and that gives him an edge here.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:36 am Reply with quote

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing)

While in the past I've criticized Alucard for being overpowered and voted for Levi for being a human fighting beings stronger than him, I still think Alucard is the more badass character. While Levi's skills are badass, his attitude just doesn't match up with what Alucard has. Plus at some point the characters' power level does matter, and Alucard has Levi far outclassed in that respect.

I don't think either of these two match-ups is that close in my mind, but this one in particular isn't close. Integra's attitude and iron will are certainly impressive, but in the end it isn't her that strikes fear into her enemies or defeats them in combat. Instead she sends people like Alucard. Integra has mental strength, but lacks the physical strength to be the ultimate badass. Plus, as I've said before, Kenshiro has all of the traits that I expect from a badass, and exemplifies many of them.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:08 am Reply with quote

Normally, I'd vote for who I'm more familiar with, but in this case, I'm going to vote against Levi. There have been way too many convincing arguments for Alucard in this and other brackets for me to ignore, so Alucard gets my vote here.

This tournament is practically made for Kenshiro. If there ever was a character more suited to be used as a picture for the dictionary definition, Kenshiro would almost definitely be it!
Sentire

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that all of these characters have made it to the end.

Levi shows consistent grit and determination, but I think Alucard has the edge in the bad-ass department when it comes to intensity - more depth.

This is a tougher match-up for me. I would almost give it to Kenshiro based on "raw-power" - but there is something about Integra that I find more intimidating, and just more bad-ass. She gets my vote.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Here are the finals results along with mini game scores.

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) 1 vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing) 6

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) 5 vs. C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) 2

Mini-Game:
Beltane70 - 10
Calathan - 10
Tony K - 10
Psycho 101 - 5
Sentire - 5
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
And here we are, the grand finale. After months of voting and characters beating the shit out of each other we have arrived to the final matchup. Two epic badasses squaring off for the glory of being king shit of the mountain. Who will win? Who will wind up admitting defeat? Will Danny Trejo suddenly appear for a shocking steal and eliminate both!?!

The mini game scores are pretty close. There's 3 still in contention for the grand prize. it all depends on how the votes go this round. The final matchup will also be worth an undisclosed amount in the mini game points that I am keeping secret until the end. I want a bit of suspense. To keep things even more suspenseful you will only be allowed to change your final vote within 24 hours of posting it. After that it is locked in. So choose wisely. Without further ado, in the immortal words of the greatest referee ever, LET'S GET IT ON!

Biggest Badass Tournament Final Matchup:

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing)

Oh yea, we also got these 2 ninja dudes to square off for our top runner up spot as well. The loser has to pay everyone's cab fare. Ouch.

Runner's Up Final:

D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basilisk) vs. C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Going back to my belief that both are on equal footing in terms of badass aura, I am going to argue hypothetical physics as the final factor. Also, I do this after finally finishing Hellsing. I never saw all the Ultimate OVA or finished reading the manga, but I re-read all the manga within the last week.

Suffice it to say, Alucard is unkillable. He's been dismembered and exploded in all kinds of ways via holy artifacts, magic, and even a stake to the heart, apparently, wasn't enough. As violently effective as Kenshiro's Hokuto Shinken is on regular people and other martial artists, it's nowhere near enough to kill Alucard, as I feel he'd just reform himself again and again. And honestly, I don't think Kenshiro would survive all 3.2 million minions (or whatever the exact number was) that Alucard could summon up to fight him. And then there's all the dark arts stuff and vampire powers, too. So yeah, no contest battle for Alucard.
----------

Runner's Up Final:

D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basilsk) vs. C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto)

I actually re-read the Bailisk manga during the tourney and have to say, while Gennousuke's power is super, super badass, the story is so short and never really develops him beyond being the leader of the Kouga ninja clan. There's no backstory to his rise to leader, nothing about what established his convictions, barley an interaction with him falling for Oboro. And in the end spoiler[ after Oboro kills herself to not have to fight him, he just follows suit and offs himself without even saying anything. Major downer and the most non-epic way to go out].

Kakashi, on the other hand, has a whole lot more to him, even as crammed with characters as the Naruto franchise is. He was a child prodigy, is a great teacher to the young ninja, has a ton of backstory and mystique to his days in AnBu, and let's not forget he's pretty well-versed in martial arts and chakra skills, not to mention having Sharingan. Heck, if you wanna' argue hypothetical physics, maybe the Sharing could copy Gennousuke's Enchanted Vision, too? That'd be pretty scary.

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun May 09, 2021 8:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
I think this decision was easier for me than a lot of the earlier matchups were, and I find myself agreeing with Psycho's analysis in the semifinal bracket vote. Alucard's powers are massive and overwhelming and honestly pretty damn cool. His attitude was dialed up to 11 and left there. Yes, Kenshiro has amazing swagger as well but he's not nearly so consistently snarky and arrogant while Alucard is 110% of the time. And of course while both characters are incredibly powerful I think Alucard takes in that contest as well. I think Kenshiro is more iconic especially with his famous catchphrase but in strictly a badass contest I'm giving my vote to Alucard, mainly since he's more consistently badass.

Runner's Up Final:
D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basilsk) vs. C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto)
I have not watched the entirety of either Basilisk or Naruto, but from episodes I have seen, along with watching videos and whatnot for research Gennousuke just seems like the more badass character to me. He is much more imposing. Part of that may simply be that Basilisk seems like a much more serious and darker show than good 'ol shonen standby like Naruto but it's certainly the impression that I get. Kakashi comes across like a rather generic anime ninja--impressive, sure, but not much of a standout, while Gennouskue inspires awe. I do agree with Tony that Gennousuke seems to be the less developed of the two characters--which makes sense given that Naruto has many hundreds of episodes while Basilisk is a tiny fraction of that--but this is a badass contest, not a most-well-developed-backstory one. Gennousuke might be simpler character but I do think he is the more badass one.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:05 pm Reply with quote

I just can't see Alucard beating Kenshiro for this title. Clearly they are both awesome or they wouldn't have ended up in the final, but just looking at them you'd naturally pick Kenshiro over Alucard, he's at the apex of his physical fitness, can hit harder and faster than anyone else after years of training his body and, mind and knows secret techniques that are for him alone as he's at the zenith of his martial art discipline.

Runner's Up Final:

Seeing as these two are both similar as they are both ninja at least, it's easy to ask, who would win in a fight? Both were the head (if only for a short while for Kakashi) of their respected ninja clans and both have a distinct fighting style, and both curiously can use their eye(s) to their advantage in a fight.
Still when you think of them, you usually think of Kakashi reading the makeout series of books and acting decidedly NOT cool and you never really see Gennousuke acting immature. I also think he could kick Kekashi's ass quite handily. All around this isn't much of a contest IMO.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:17 pm Reply with quote

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing) - I'll copy what akumachef said while copying what I previously said lol. To me this comes down to the consistency of the badass aura, swagger, and attitude. In terms of raw power as it pertains to their respective shows both are jacked up to a 15 out of 10. Both are the overpowered kickasses of their shows. On the one hand I give Kenshiro more credit for his power as he WORKED for it more than I feel Alucard did. We never really see how he was when he first became a vampire, but generally the idea is he was OP from the word go. Kenshiro honed himself into the beat that he is. The thing is he doesn't show that nearly as much as Alucard. Yes in some ways Alucard is a bit of a caricature with his badassery, but he has to be. Honestly almost all of the main badguys and opponents are OP as well. So you need an even more powerful MC to deal with them. Plus being snarky, confidant, badass, and just more swagger then Mick Jager is part of who he is. The whole show is over the top so of course the OP vampire Macdaddy is going to be even more so. Not to mention think about some of his actions. He shoots the shit with the pope. He flies an SR-71 Blackbird into a vampire. His last battles with Anderson and Walter were just epic. When Integra let him loose 100%.....just....damn. Each episode was one giant badass moment after another with him. And during it all that cocky attitude was in play all the time and at 11. The ONLY person I would've voted for over him is Integra herself for being the one person who can command and put a leash on him at will despite the fact he could obliterate her 10 times before she could blink. I love Kenshiro and arguably his character archetype is part of what makes this tournament even possible as he was in some ways the original over the top badass. Alucard is that mold but even more refined, and with 10 coats of neon paint over it.

Runner's Up Final:

D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basilisk) vs. C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto) - Really torn here. On the one hand we see far more of Kakashi than Gennousuke. We get to see the many trials he's been through and how his skills and attitude have gotten him through. On the other I think in comparison to their respective series Gennousuke just gives more people the chills. His aura and badassery leaves more people speechless. Almost everyone is hesitant, or downright refuses, to fight him and deal with him. That's how badass and strong he is. I think that attitude comes out more as well. I think far too often Kakashi is just ambivalent to the situation around him. He is very skilled and has had enough badass moments to get me to keep voting for him in his matchups up to this point. I think Gennousuke simply had more swagger and that "don't F with me" aura to him than Kakashi. Since that's really what separates Alucard and Kenshiro for me I gotta vote in the same manner here with a similar situation. Plus in a straight up 1 on 1 battle I think Gennousuke would win too, albeit narrowly.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:59 pm Reply with quote

If you've been following my previous posts, it should come as no surprise that I'm picking Kenshiro as the ultimate badass. There are two main reasons I'm choosing him over Alucard. First, I find his style of calm confidence much more impressive than Alucard's attitude, which is more out of control. Kenshiro's famous line "you are already dead" is more a statement of fact than a boast, which to me makes it all the more impressive. Basically, he doesn't need to act like a badass, since he simply is a badass, and him just defeating enemies in the most expedient manner and stating the facts makes it clear to all who face him how much of a badass he is. Second, I think Alucard is overpowered compared to most of the foes he faces, which acts as a double-edged sword in this competition. Certainly you would expect the ultimate badass to be stronger than anyone else (at least from his series), but in Alucard's case it just looks too easy most of the time. It's easy to have a lot of swagger and confidence when you're simply unbeatable, but I find much more impressive to act with confidence when your enemies actually stand a chance of hurting you.

Runner's Up Final:

I've still not seen Basilisk, so this vote is less a vote for Gennousuke than it is a vote against Kakashi. While Kakashi is quite powerful, he only occasionally shows the kind of attitude I would expect from a badass. Other than in his fight with Zabuza early in the series, I don't remember him doing much to intimidate his foes. I just don't feel like Kakashi is enough of a badass to deserve winning the bracket. While I don't know anything about Gennousuke's attitude, he at the very least has a badass look to him.
Sentire

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote

You could say maybe the aura of the show has an affect on my vote, but I still think Alucard is just more bad-ass than Kenshiro. It's not to say it isn't close, but I just think Alucard is more intense and has more depth (I think I have stated this previously).

This one is tougher for me because they are very different characters. I understand that Kakashi doesn't always have the bad-ass attitude when he isn't in battle mode, but he does have skills, strength, and determination that makes him a badass. That being said, I think Gennousuke exudes a little more badassness. I am trying not to let the type of anime series affect my vote. Which one would win against another? Which one can surpass the biggest trials/challenges? Has more grit? Has the 'aura'? I can't take it - Ugh! I want to say Kakashi, but Gennousuke is more serious... but we see more of a history of Kakashi. I think I am going with Kakashi because of his mind/smarts. That's another area of badassness that shouldn't be overlooked, in my opinion. Yeah, Kakashi it is.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote
The time sure went fast in this tournament, hard to believe it's already at its end!

Staying consistent with my previous votes, I'm going with Kenshiro for the title. Sure, Alucard may be more powerful than Ken, but I feel that Kenshiro just has a certain aura about him that screams badass. Plus, I think Calathan summed Kenshiro up way better than I can.

Runner's Up Final:

Hate to admit it, but I'm choosing Kakashi based only on my familiarity with his character.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Here we are at the end of the road. After many months we have our winner. The supreme badass of badasses! The chancellor of asskicking! King shit of turd mountain! The winner of the Biggest Badass Tournament. Give it up for the undead bastard himself, Alucard! With a narrow 4-3 vote he manages to edge out the king of Hokuto Shinken himself, Kenshiro. Which in some ways is rather fitting, as Alucard is in fact already dead. Jokes on you Kenshiro. If Kenshiro had won then Bracket D would've stolen the show.

With another narrow vote of 4-3 the winner of the Runner's Up portion of the tournament is the ninja badass with the eyes that don't lie. Gennousuke. At least he got to win this portion given he didn't win much by the end of his actual show.

Here are the final votes.

Final Matchup:

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) 3 vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing) 4

Runner's Up Final:

D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basilsk) 4 vs. C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto) 3

And here are the final scores for the mini-game. I gave this final matchup a point value of 7. Which means thanks to Tony making the correct vote in the finals, and Beltane not gaining any points, we have a tie for the win. Didn't see that coming.

Mini-game participants:

Beltane70 - 216
Tony K - 216
Psycho 101 - 212
Calathan - 209
Sentire - 198
Hikari14 - 95
Unicorn_Blade - 26
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I did expect both Kenshiro and Alucard to make it far. I did also expect Kamina and Kenpachi to go pretty far as well. I actually thought both of them might go further than Kenshiro due to their more boisterous attitudes compared to Kenshiro. I'm also not surprised D made it far himself. He's a fan favorite and awesome character in many facets. I also figured Mikasa and Levi would go far. Not just because they are strong characters, but also with the fact they are fresh and current with AOT airing just recently. I HOPED Balalaika and Integra would both go far as I have always been i pressed with their more confidant attitudes. Neither are overpowered in their own right or compared to most of the MC's of their shows. They both just have such presence to them. So I'm glad they both got to go further and gain exposure.

I had hoped Eikichi Onizuka would go further just because I love the guy and his attitude. I had also figured Ryo Saeba would make it further than he did. I wish Lind had made it further as I think she is very underestimated. I knew she would not win, but I had hoped she'd at least win 1 round. At least my boy Ban made it a little further in.

I'm surprised with how far Yusuke Urameshi, Nicolas Brown, & Fisher Tiger went. I was more unfamiliar with Fisher so he was a big surprise for me. I like Yusuke and Nicolas personally, but I figured they wouldn't get much love from others. Especially Nicolas as I doubt many would have seen Gangsta.

As for the mini-game, Tony & Beltane send me a PM and we will figure out the prize situation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 21