• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Projected to Be Only the 2nd Japanese Film Ever to Top U.S. Weekend Box Office

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
doesnt appear that putting the movie on ps store inhibited sales.

though never understood companies fears that movie availability inhibitis sales, people do see movies theyve seen before in theaters again
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

though never understood companies fears that movie availability inhibitis sales, people do see movies theyve seen before in theaters again

My dream is to see The Goonies and JAWS on the big screen before I die. Came close with JAWS but it was on the other drive in screen after the first movie (The Meg) and I was watching Christoper Robin on the other screen and left after that because the drive in had a rule of not switching screens, good idea actually.

If I could see any anime film on the big screen it would be ether Akira or (and I know this may sound stupid) the 3rd Pokemon Movie because that was the last flim I saw with my best childhood friend before he left out west to get away from what I have assumed to being bullied for being gay. Yeah we enjoyed Pokemon that much still in High School.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

It definitely seemed to have some effect, look at that drop, a nearly 70% drop is quite bad, though anime movies are more frontloaded to begin with.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2021W18/?ref_=bo_we_nav

As of May 1st on [redacted], across 22 torrents, there were more than 69,000 completed downloads and that's just one torrenting site, who knows what the illegal streaming sites pulled in as torrents aren't as popular anymore. Additionally, there's a video on YouTube with a clip of one of the big fight scenes taken from the rip that's circulating online thanks to Sony's mistake and it's already at over 334,000 views in 5 days which should give an idea of what illegal streaming sites are doing for viewership for the whole movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:56 am Reply with quote
While good I do wonder how much was due to limited theater only films with Raya and Mortal Kombat being streaming
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I've not yet gone out to see the Kimetsu movie but seeing Pokemon the First Movie mentioned brought back a lot of memories. I remember dragging my dad to the theaters and receiving two shiny Mew cards haha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1