• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Evangelion Film Gets New '3.0+1.01' Update for 'Last Run'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
This is why I always wait for the BD since it is the finalized product. It will be interesting to compare the changes.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that after all that time in production it still wasn't finished Rolling Eyes
Well, not surprising considering the past releases. Hopefully the 4.44 (or whatever) is the final version and that's all that gets released on BD
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:55 am Reply with quote
I’m very curious to see if GKids will get the license over Funimation. I sure hope so.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:14 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I’m very curious to see if GKids will get the license over Funimation. I sure hope so.

I'd be grateful for a licensed American release at all--I'm sincerely looking forward to finally seeing this!
kwchou1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:02 am Reply with quote
Oh, come on. Like it's not already confusing enough as to what the title refers to. You can't call it 4 or Final/End, but it's supposed to be the ending - but now there's another one after it.
TomsonPRD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:46 am Reply with quote
kwchou1 wrote:
Oh, come on. Like it's not already confusing enough as to what the title refers to. You can't call it 4 or Final/End, but it's supposed to be the ending - but now there's another one after it.

It's been happening since 2008 (!), when the DVD release of 1.0 was called 1.01 because of 200+ corrected frames, and then 1.11 in 2009 because of more corrections and new scenes as well.
Even 2.0 had more versions (2.02, 2.22), same thing with 3.0 (3.33, 3.333)
It's definitely not a new thing.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
... it got a revision before it even left theaters Rolling Eyes
No word yet on any NA release yet I assume?

Eventually I'll catch it, but not high on my list of things.. I'd rather go back and rewatch the TV series.
dyuer15ut0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Personally, whoever gets the license to the film in the West, they oughta have Spike return as Shinji.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
... it got a revision before it even left theaters Rolling Eyes
No word yet on any NA release yet I assume?

Eventually I'll catch it, but not high on my list of things.. I'd rather go back and rewatch the TV series.

Now to be fair, even hollywood blockbusters get slight revisions during their initial runs these days. Remember the various releases of "Cats" or how they fixed the monster hunter movie because of the racist joke?
All digital, so just send those theaters a new file, and wham, new version.

The main difference here is that Khara is using this as an opportunity to get in some more marketing buzz and get those crazy eva fans to see it again for third time.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:00 pm Reply with quote
That cow has to be producing nothing but puffs of dust at this point, right?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

What was wrong with FUNimation doing it? I haven't seen any GKids releases, so I hope they're not another 4Kids.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
dyuer15ut0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:15 am Reply with quote
Well, they say Funi and Khara's relationships got rocky since working on the third film. Khara made Funi follow the former's script, which probably didn't please the latter all that much, to say the least.

And you know how for Netflix's release, Spike, Tiffany, and Amanda were shot down in favor of new actors? Well, I'm not sure what that means, but I'd certainly hope this doesn't mean Khara's through with the original actors. I mean, this IS business, after all, but surely a lot of us don't wanna see Spike thrown under the bus.

Dunno how much of this is actually true, it's all speculation.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Romuska wrote:

What was wrong with FUNimation doing it? I haven't seen any GKids releases, so I hope they're not another 4Kids.

Funimation supposedly has a rocky relationship with Khara, stemming first from Funi's initial dub of 3.33 which wasn't to Khara's satisfaction and then Funimation complaining publicly about Netflix getting the TV series streaming rights.

GKids is the licensor that releases Studio Ghibli titles and other international animation. They're the ones who are releasing the Evangelion TV series (and Death and EoE) on Blu-Ray sometime this year. I have faith they'll handle it well, though I'm sure it'll be pricey, so I'm also hoping there are versions of the release that won't be expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gRmLn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Funimation as of late also can't be trusted to produce accurate localizations.
foxtail89

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Romuska wrote:

I'd be grateful for a licensed American release at all--I'm sincerely looking forward to finally seeing this!
amazon bought the rights are set to release 13 august
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2