• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses 2001 Shaman King, Lupin III: Part 5, Case Closed: The Darkest Nightmare, Mor

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Would’ve been cooler if they’d just redubbed Shaman King.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Probably only going to get Lupin part 5
hikura

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Some good choices being released.I am glad they clarified that Orguss was being released on blu-ray because i was going to say they had already released Orguss on dvd.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Woooo, finally Part 5. It's hard to think of another series I've enjoyed more than that in the past several years.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I've been holding off on Orguss in the hope that it would get a Blu-ray, so I'm very excited to see that it now will. That's definitely getting ordered. I'm totally unfamiliar with Braiger, but I'm always for more older series getting licensed properly and I might get that one also.

It's pretty delightful that both versions of Shaman King will be out again, too. I love when Discotek puts out the edited dub for those who want it and also the unedited sub.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see the original Shaman King (and it's dub) getting re-released.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I do hope this means the 4Kids OP for Shaman King's dub will also be included. I'd safely assume that it does, though. I know people give such crap to the 4Kids OPs, but that one was such a good one.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, I love more anime!
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I do hope this means the 4Kids OP for Shaman King's dub will also be included. I'd safely assume that it does, though. I know people give such crap to the 4Kids OPs, but that one was such a good one.

Yeah, they opened the announcements with that Opening, so it will of course be included.

It's definitely one of the better opening themes produced by 4kids in those days, so I totally see the appeal. It's just that it tends to get compared against Oversoul and Northern Lights, which are just legendary songs by an iconic singer in the anime sphere, so it often ends up critisized in comparison.
On its own though, it's definitely a solid tune.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:02 pm Reply with quote
The sheer nostalgia of the old Shaman King compels me.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
I love when Discotek puts out the edited dub for those who want it and also the unedited sub.

Haven't they promised for years they'd release Sonic X unedited subbed, but yet it's never come out?
Because I can't think of any other time they've released separate audio versions other than Monster Rancher.
ikarisama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:40 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Triltaison wrote:
I love when Discotek puts out the edited dub for those who want it and also the unedited sub.

Haven't they promised for years they'd release Sonic X unedited subbed, but yet it's never come out?
Because I can't think of any other time they've released separate audio versions other than Monster Rancher.

Samurai Pizza Cats and it's original Japanese series Kyatto-Ninden Teyandee.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I still have my copies of those uncut Shaman King DVDs 4Kids briefly put out and I was always sad I never got to own the entire show. I'm so excited this is finally coming out and both with the sub and the 4Kids dub as often times these old localized dubs don't get picked up again when rescued licensed. This makes me wonder if there might be plans to include the 4Kids cast in the Netflix dub of the reboot after all. I've always been meaning to check out Orguss so I'm glad to see it getting an HD release and I'm curious about Braiger too. Also glad to see more Lupin coming.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:08 am Reply with quote
ikarisama wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
Triltaison wrote:

Samurai Pizza Cats and it's original Japanese series Kyatto-Ninden Teyandee.

Another example: dub and sub of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz were on separate SD BD releases since the dub significantly reedited the footage, (the dub is way more American kid audience focused, with a narrator and episode 1 showing flash forwards to action since it otherwise has no action).

Technically Lupin Part 4 had separate dub and sub releases, but AFAIK that was a licensing stipulation.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
So will Lupin V be both languages on each part or are they going to split it again?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3