• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Moon Family Values

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is on top of the fact that it's already weird that Mamoru is entering med school while still dating a fourteen year old.

At this point Usagi is 16 and Mamoru is only 2-3 years older than her. Still not ideal, but at least he's not a college student from the beginning like he was in the 90s anime. I know relationships with noticeable age gaps weren't frowned upon as much in 90s Japan, but I still wonder why they had to make him that much older than her...
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I knew this show had homosexual couples as a kid but... dayumn, a big story about a girl who is seriously in love with her dad? I think not even CLAMP approached these types of relationships.
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

Personally I prefer to interpret Chibi-Usa's situation as an immature fixation on Mamoru that she has to grow out of, though.

I see it more like how little kids will say they want to grow up and marry their mom/dad. It's Usagi's jealousy that gives a little too much credence to it.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:28 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I knew this show had homosexual couples as a kid but... dayumn, a big story about a girl who is seriously in love with her dad? I think not even CLAMP approached these types of relationships.

I'm not sure about that, from what I've heard from the Tokyo Babylon and X/1999 manga.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
tintor2 wrote:

I'm not sure about that, from what I've heard from the Tokyo Babylon and X/1999 manga.

And Chobits. Kinda.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
It amazes me how much Shouta Aoi sounds like Akira Ishida's take from the 90s! Shame Hawk's Eye stole his thunder as the gender non-conforming one with the most screentime.

I am happy for Hawk's Eye, though. I really love the depth that Jupiter moment added to them. After Crystal making changes that worsened things compared to the manga, it's nice Eternal made changes that improved it.

Oggers wrote:
It's Usagi's jealousy that gives a little too much credence to it.

Does it, though? Usagi's not exactly the voice of reason when it comes to Chibiusa. She tends to act irrational and immature whenever she's around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1